The throttle issue in the uk

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Danfobia

The throttle issue in the uk

Post by Danfobia »

So I was given an E ranger Overlander as a gift last year, and as much as I like having an E bike, it's really not my style. I've been looking at getting a new one more in my style (I really like the look of a company called Cyrusher).

My E ranger has a throttle that takes it up to about 17 mph. I don't want a bike that only has pedal assist, so is their a way around the UK law that allows you to use a throttle. All the bikes I'm finding and like all seem to be pedal assist only, and why do we even have this law, it seems so pointless?
tatanab

Re: The throttle issue in the uk

Post by tatanab »

Danfobia wrote:I don't want a bike that only has pedal assist
They are not pedal assist they are pedal cycles with electric assist.
why do we even have this law, it seems so pointless?
To prevent them being used as electrically powered machines similar to mopeds without the need to pedal.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

tatanab wrote:
Danfobia wrote:I don't want a bike that only has pedal assist
They are not pedal assist they are pedal cycles with electric assist.
why do we even have this law, it seems so pointless?
To prevent them being used as electrically powered machines similar to mopeds without the need to pedal.

And to try to stop them whizzing around london cycling lanes. Was on a ride a while ago and one zapped past us. No pedalling at all. Clearly illegal.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:
Danfobia wrote:why do we even have this law, it seems so pointless?

I can understand the need for maximum speed and power ratings if they're going to be classed as cycles, but the Cycling UK Library Guide and this summary in Cycling Weakly disagree about the legality of low-power throttled bikes (6mph throttle-only, 15.5mph throttle+pedal). Given that CUK famously no longer has a Technical Officer, I'm not sure who to believe.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:And to try to stop them whizzing around london cycling lanes. Was on a ride a while ago and one zapped past us. No pedalling at all. Clearly illegal.

I've had people overtake me at far greater than 15.5mph but they were pedalling. I'm not too bothered unless it was a bad overtake, such as a close-pass, and even then, the problem is the dangerous overtake, rather than the speed or the power source.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

A bike on which you don't have to pedal would be a motorbike, but with an electric motor. I'm not sure that would be a problem unless the speed limit of the motor (17mph?) were taken away. The crucial thing, if they are to share cycle space, is that they don't go faster than a fit cyclist can push a regular bike. So I can't see why pedalling has to be required.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

My understanding is a throttle is legal in UK to assist with pushing the bike and manoeuvring at walking speed. But I wouldn't absolutely swear to this interpretation.

Regardless of the law, it seems many people who really benefit from a electrically assisted bike (or often, trike) also make great use of such a walking-speed throttle, because for the a cycle is a mobility aid, with similar function to a wheelchair or mobility scooter for others.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Danfobia wrote:So I was given an E ranger Overlandeder as a gift last year, and as much as I like having an E bike, it's really not my style. I've been looking at getting a new one more in my style (I really like the look of a company called Cyrusher). My E ranger has a throttle that takes it up to about 17 mph. I don't want a bike that only has pedal assist, so if their a way around the UK law that allows you to use a throttle. All the bikes I'm finding and like all seem to be pedal assist only, and why do we even have this law, it seems so pointless?

pointless? i beg to differ.

In very basic terms, in law, a bicycle, whether E or not requires human input for forward motion. If it can be self propelled, E or other motor, it is a motor vehicle/bike with different regulatory requirements.

You can ride your throttle controlled E machine quite legally providing you meet the lawful requirements which include insurance, helmet and so on. There is no ambiguity in this.

The issues arise when persons using throttle controlled machines use facilities intended for human powered machines whether this be woodland trails or shared pedestrian/bike paths in urban areas. If you don't want the inconvenience of pedaling, fine but don't expect to be treated the same as those who do.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Bmblbzzz wrote:My understanding is a throttle is legal in UK to assist with pushing the bike and manoeuvring at walking speed. But I wouldn't absolutely swear to this interpretation.

Regardless of the law, it seems many people who really benefit from a electrically assisted bike (or often, trike) also make great use of such a walking-speed throttle, because for the a cycle is a mobility aid, with similar function to a wheelchair or mobility scooter for others.

Up to December 2016 any bike with a throttle was legal, after that date you could still use it under "grand dad rules" as you had it before that said date. After that date December 2016 all new builds (factory) could not have a throttle, but you as an individual for your own use could fit a “kit” with a throttle to a bike and still be legal.
Danfobia

Post by Danfobia »

Just to be clear I'm not just an E bike rider, I do a lot of long distance and Hill trails in a mountain bike. The e bike is Purley a luxury just to get about town.

My throttle takes me to around 17_19mph. If I was looking at a New e bike in the US they all seem to come standard with throttles. I've got a full UK license, but I refuse to pay insurance on something that barely goes 20mph! To me an E bike with just assist doesn't sound right to me at all. Shirley the whole point of having one in the first place is to go a little faster than you normally would
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

yakdiver wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:My understanding is a throttle is legal in UK to assist with pushing the bike and manoeuvring at walking speed. But I wouldn't absolutely swear to this interpretation.

Up to December 2016 any bike with a throttle was legal, after that date you could still use it under "grand dad rules" as you had it before that said date. After that date December 2016 all new builds (factory) could not have a throttle, but you as an individual for your own use could fit a “kit” with a throttle to a bike and still be legal.

I don't think a kit would be legal.

It used to be that EU rules allowed 250 W, and you had to pedal for power (over 6 km/h), and UK rules allowed only 200 W, but throttle only was permitted.
In 2016, UK rules were harmonised with EU rules, so you gained some power, but lost throttle only. As is normal, the change in rules wasn't retrospective, so any (legal) throttle-only e-bike that was in use before Dec 2016 could still be used.

I've always understood that a decent part of the impetus behind e-bikes was to assist with the health of the general populace (as well as congestion and pollution), which isn't going to happen to any noticeable degree if all you have to do is twist the throttle.

It can't be terribly hard to get hold of a throttle-only ebike, or find out how to convert one to throttle-only.
If you do, you'll probably be ignored until you're involved in some serious accident
Danfobia

Post by Danfobia »

I'm a fully qualified driver so I'm not an idiot out on the road, although I understand the risks everytime I ride. My E ranger was built in 2014 if I remember correctly, so with what I understand even though if got a throttle that takes it to 19mph, because it was built before the registration it is ok to ride on the road?
stodd

Post by stodd »

Danfobia wrote:I'm a fully qualified driver so I'm not an idiot out on the road, although I understand the risks everytime I ride. My E ranger was built in 2014 if I remember correctly, so with what I understand even though if got a throttle that takes it to 19mph, because it was built before the registration it is ok to ride on the road?

Would be legal if the throttle (or any other assist) took it to a max of 25kph (about 15.5mph)
hemo

Post by hemo »

Pre 01 Jan 2016 full working stand alone or twist and go throttles are legal for bikes/kits made before this date, post this they aren't.
However a full working throttle is allowed if it is configured so that you have to pedal first each time before it is activated, simply put you can't have a working throttle and be legal from the off without peddling first. A walk along throttle is allowed to 6km/h 4mph.
Throttles in the main EU countries aren't allowed, the UK implements it's rules a bit differently as it is down to ember states what they allow or not.
It's similar with S peds, UK user have to jump through ridiculous red tape and hoops to even try and get one insured, registered etc,etc in Germany the process is much simpler.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Danfobia wrote: Shirley the whole point of having one in the first place is to go a little faster than you normally would

I'm not sure everyone would agree with that.
I consider e assistance to be an aid to getting up hills more easily, and riding further with less fatigue.
Others may consider that the ability to transport heavier loads is the main advantage.
Yes, some may find that they travel faster, but I'm unconvinced that us the primary purpose of e-assist for pedal cycles.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider