buying a used eBike?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
1982john

buying a used eBike?

Postby 1982john » 10 Dec 2019, 6:26pm

I've had some bargains on standard bikes by buying second hand over the years but is that a sensible option for an ebike?

The problem is the battery. Is there anyway of knowing for sure what shape the battery is in?

hemo

Re: buying a used eBike?

Postby hemo » 10 Dec 2019, 7:10pm

Issue with a battery you will never know how it has been looked after during it's life so if older then 2 years old a new battery should be factored in to the used price, you can't always take the sellers word as face value.
Bosch are able to carry out diagnostic's on their batteries.

Polisman

Postby Polisman » 11 Dec 2019, 7:05am

On the plus side, if you have a working battery, even one that's maybe not great, you can use that as back up to a brand new battery. They're coming down in price, and although they don't use top quality cells, a cheap 10ah battery can be had for as little as £150. If you can get the donor bike for cheap /free, it's a good investment.

billym444

Postby billym444 » 11 Dec 2019, 8:51am

the problem being. if you buy a poor cell battery for £150 then 3 months time youll be buying another.

so some very strong and hard learned advice here. if a new battery is really cheap then dont throw your money away.
big Bafang fan lol

loafer

Postby loafer » 14 Dec 2019, 8:07pm

The problem is the battery. Is there anyway of knowing for sure what shape the battery is in

I would expect it to have had a full diagnostic report (bike + battery) which will tell you all you need to know ...which I had done when I put the 2 I had up for sale :D which tell all the modes used and for how long

jb

Postby jb » 17 Dec 2019, 7:05pm

The main thing is how old it is, you have to work hard at damaging a battery in 12 - 18 months . We have on old Raleigh Leeds which is about five years old now and been looked after. the batteries probably at 75% so you can comfortably do about 20 miles.
Which you might think is abysmal by today's standard but if your doing a daily five mile commute may be Ideal for the money.

(It's not for sale by the way)
Cheers
J Bro