Battery exchange scheme

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Komet

Battery exchange scheme

Postby Komet » 16 Dec 2019, 8:12pm

Why don't bike shops and other bike orientated business's have a e bike battery exchange scheme? Swap your battery for a full charged one for a small fee. This would extend your range and encourage e touring. Help rural economy where e mtbs ride cycle cafe ECT. Could be sponsored by bike manufacturers. They could be exchanged at any shop or pub.

wirral_cyclist

Re: Battery exchange scheme

Postby wirral_cyclist » 16 Dec 2019, 10:14pm

How many battery types are there? Who would fund the stockholding of same?
Why would I want to swap my brand new battery with only 3 use cycles for one of unknown age and unknown use/abuse, might never get a comparable low use/high capacity ever again. The loan batteries might all be ebay specials and not even get me home.

miek60

Postby miek60 » 16 Dec 2019, 11:15pm

That could work but only if a standardised battery and charger is adopted by most ebike sellers

I know the batteries wear out over time so you could swap a new battery for one which is much older - but you would have to look at it like filling a car with petrol - when your battery runs out you drop in at a local depot and swap it

So - there also have to be a lot of depots for swapping them - far more than the number of bike shops probably

for this to happen you would need a lot more people riding ebikes - and mostly using the new standard batteries

and, of course, swapping would be at a cost - or use an annual membership which you pay for
which would increase the cost of using an ebike

So - a good idea - probably won't happen

Komet

Postby Komet » 17 Dec 2019, 6:19am

Thanks for the replys. Just an idea.

billym444

Postby billym444 » 18 Dec 2019, 7:53pm

also what happens when a battery is knacked, would some do the exchange just to get a replacemt battery. another simple option is buy a second battery
big Bafang fan lol

nez

Postby nez » 18 Dec 2019, 11:14pm

I just replaced a bike battery - over £600

stodd

Postby stodd » 19 Dec 2019, 9:49am

If the scheme were to work it would probably be on a rental style scheme; with complications of battery life being the responsibility of the owners, not the users. I suspect it would work out too expensive (***) ... might even make the last poster's £600 battery seem a bargain. The big variety of different batteries that others have mentioned is probably the real killer. It's a shame though.

(***) Just looked up Renault car battery leasing for a few more facts as I had heard of people complaining it was too expensive: to find Renault has ditched the option of monthly battery leasing for its electric Zoe.

nez

Postby nez » 19 Dec 2019, 9:59am

The mechanic who matched our battery to the bike (it’s a Koga and requires software matching) told me they don’t like very low temperatures, so keep it in the house. Given the price, I’m following instructions!

hemo

Postby hemo » 19 Dec 2019, 10:54am

Batteries when not in use are ok stored in cool dry places, but when charging they need to be in a warmer ambient place as they don't hold a charge well when charged under cold conditions. Although voltage will hit the max, the capacity will be less so range will suffer. Generally below freezing is a no no.

loafer

Postby loafer » 21 Dec 2019, 6:30pm

or do like I did .get a model that's has DUAL-BATTERY`S saves range anxiety.. :D