E-bike for ride with a steep hill ( short, Lady rider )

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Bex1986

E-bike for ride with a steep hill ( short, Lady rider )

Post by Bex1986 »

Hello,

I’m sure this has been asked before so apologises in advanced.

I’m on a quest to buy an electric bike for the commute to work (which involves a rather steep hill).

I’ve visited a local independent bike shop and Halfords and come away even less sure about what I want/need.

I wonder if anyone could suggest an e-bike that is suited for a short, rather rounded lady that needs minimal maintenance (the bike that is) and isn’t too heavy. Also are the external gears likely to mess up work clothes?

As you can tell I’m quite new to the cycling world, not done a lot since I was a teenager so would appreciate any guidance given :)
Jdsk

Re: Confused

Post by Jdsk »

Do you have a price limit?

Jonathan
hemo

Re: E-bike for ride with a steep hill ( short, Lady rider )

Post by hemo »

How fit are you or should I say how much stamina effort can you put in to the peddling ?
Generally there are two ebikes drive types mid motor/mid drive that utilises a torque sensor, this multiplies the effort you can actually put in. If you have poor stamina or leg strength then with this system you will struggle on hills.

Rear or front hub drive/motor is the other option and utilises a simple cadence sensor, for hills you select a high assist level and generally ghost pedal or apply limited effort. This type of motor needs to be a high torque wound motor to be able to do this, a rear hub is usually better for hills.

Being new to ebikes you need to test ride both types, don't be fooled by how they ride on level flat terrain you need to try a hill to see which is capable for you.
Ideally you need a bike with a chain guard, I assume you will be looking at a step thru bike/dutch style bike.
Last edited by hemo on 28 Jan 2020, 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Post by hemo »

How far ?
Most ebikes for general use will fall in the 18 - 25kg region.
Last edited by hemo on 28 Jan 2020, 11:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Wisper are about to launch their latest new bike range both with High torque mid motor or hub motor. they have dealers up and down the country so you should be able to find one somewhere near you.
https://wisperbikes.com/wisper-works-eroad-bikes-2/

Woosh bikes are in Southend but are mail order only though they have tech helpers around the UK should a fault occur and needs looking at.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/#

Both have very good CS and spares support and know their bikes inside out.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Slight comment on Hemo's first post above; all his posts have excellent advice. Generally torque sensors and mid-drive motors go together, as do cadence sensors and hub drive as he says; but there are exceptions.

One advantage of cadence sensors is that if you are tired you can keep the pedals turning but without putting in any effort and the motor will still pull you along as best it can. (There will be hills it can't get you up without some help from you.) Another is that they are generally quite a bit cheaper.

Also, as a matter of interest what to you class as 'rather steep'; how steep and how long?