Hallben

Re: Boardman man 8.9E hybrid ordered.

Post by Hallben »

Thanks for this. Very much appreciated
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

Hallben wrote:Hello

I wondered what you think of this bike now you have had it for a while. Are you still happy with it any problems?

Thanks

Cannot believe its been 1 year already! I've done 1600 miles assisted and another 400 miles or so not. Battery is absolutely fine, no changes in range which varies between 30 miles to 90 miles depending on wind/temperatures/how much assistance used.

The bike has covered my commute last few months, rain/snow/mud, it's seen it all. No issues apart from a large pot hole knackered the rear hub, Halfords repaired it for free. Oh and x2 punctures.

I've even done some light off roading on it, and over the dark nights fitted so many lights to it you would literally have to be blind not to see me coming :).

So a very good first year, will get it 'serviced' soon.

Hallben

Post by Hallben »

Love the photos. Thanks a lot for this.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Can I ask those posters with experience of this bike a question? (having got myself a Ribble CGR E my wife is now looking for an E bike. She wants a hybrid style bike and the Boardman seems to fit her requirements. However getting a road test is nigh on impossible at present. Most of the reviews I've read refer to the 'sporty' riding position. Just how sporty is it in actuality? My wife is fit but only an occasional cyclist. She wants a bike that feels stable not twitchy and wants the bars to be more or less level with the seat. Can these needs be met? I am happy to make limited adjustments (swapping stem and bars). What do posters think? Thank you in advance
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

swscotland bentrider wrote:Most of the reviews I've read refer to the 'sporty' riding position.

I find the exact opposite. My Trek Madone road bike is 'sporty' and 'twitch', the Boardman is like a bus in comparison. Infact you will see I have put the stem to the lowest position and saddle height above the stem, even in this setup for me the bike is still too laid back.

I also find the 35mm tyres too comfy at low PSI so I have them pumped up to silly figures to replicate the bone shaking ride experience am use to on the Trek road bike :).

So no I personally wouldn't worry about the handling of the Boardman been too quick. You can actually have alot of fun making the rear wheel slide out on demand when grip levels are low thanks to the extra torque on the motor, try the same slides on my road bike and you will be kissing the tarmac. The Boardman is very forgiving on been manhandled.
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

swscotland bentrider wrote:Can I ask those posters with experience of this bike a question? (having got myself a Ribble CGR E my wife is now looking for an E bike. She wants a hybrid style bike and the Boardman seems to fit her requirements. However getting a road test is nigh on impossible at present. Most of the reviews I've read refer to the 'sporty' riding position. Just how sporty is it in actuality? My wife is fit but only an occasional cyclist. She wants a bike that feels stable not twitchy and wants the bars to be more or less level with the seat. Can these needs be met? I am happy to make limited adjustments (swapping stem and bars). What do posters think? Thank you in advance

Just been out and measured my wifes HYB 8.9e (large womens frame). Her seat is lower than the bars - the top of the bars is 100cm, the top of seat is 92cm (and you'll gain another cm when you sit & squish the seat), so you don't have to have your bum in the air. I forgot to measure the seat post extension, but it's up about 10cm, so it could go even lower.

I wouldn't say it is sporty, but it's not a dutch upright either - a reasonable halfway house. It comes with urban-friendly fattish tyres too (38mm?), not 28mm skinny things, so that also helps soften the general ride. I also changed the saddle to a softer one.

If you have a look at their website, you can see the funky jacked-up seat can be lowered considerably to something comfier:
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... omens.html

swscotland bentrider

Thanks everyone for your comments and replies. It has confirmed the bike at the top of my wife's shortlist!
Cheers
John
Hallben

Post by Hallben »

Hi John

I am considering either the Boardman or the Ribble hybrid or the CGR e that you have. How have you found your experience with the Ribble? I have a 15mile hilly commute most on road but some on slightly dodgy pavement. Has there been any issues and how have your found the power. I am a cyclist but want to commute almost every day on the bike.

Thanks
swscotland bentrider

Hi Haliben, rather than Hijack this thread can I refer you to the CGR one below this. Thats me. I will update it to answer your questions. But I think I can say I'm in luuv! :oops:
Hallben

Post by Hallben »

Thanks for this. Very helpful
MikeH124

Post by MikeH124 »

Wooly67 wrote: 3 Sep 2020, 8:38pm On BoArdman 8.9e
Should there be a cover on the underside of the bike , where 2 cables are on show As per picture below, if anyone can confirm please, I don’t know if there was one and I’ve lost it, or has not been put on in shop ??
Not lost! The covers have only recently become available.

Fazua are now advertising covers as an "accessory"
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

MikeH124 wrote: 26 May 2021, 9:16pm
Wooly67 wrote: 3 Sep 2020, 8:38pm On BoArdman 8.9e
Should there be a cover on the underside of the bike , where 2 cables are on show As per picture below, if anyone can confirm please, I don’t know if there was one and I’ve lost it, or has not been put on in shop ??
Not lost! The covers have only recently become available.

Fazua are now advertising covers as an "accessory"
Ah, well spotted. It's here

Hmm, you can't buy it from there though:
Diese Bestellung kann nicht an deinen Standort versendet werden. Kontaktiere den Shop für weitere Informationen.
= This order cannot be shipped to your location. Contact the shop for more information.

I've emailed them to see what the problem is.
I'm sure dealers will stock it too, at some point if not already.
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

An update. Here's the email from Fazua regarding the cover:

Thank you for your email.
Since Brexit, we no longer deliver to end customers in the UK. You can get the parts you want from a dealer near you.
I am including a dealer search here:

https://old.fazua.com/en/support/dealer-locator/