Boardman man 8.9E hybrid ordered.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Gangzoom

Boardman man 8.9E hybrid ordered.

Post by Gangzoom »

As the title suggests I've just ordered a Boardman Hybrid 8.9E bike after a good 1hr long test ride at Halfords.

£2k is a huge amount of money to spend on a Halfords bike :shock: But am hoping the Boardman is the kick up the backside I need to get back into cycling.

I did the LEJOG on a borrowed Trek 5900, at which point I feel in love with the Trek frame and over the next 6 months I built up a 3.1 Madone frame with a mishmash of 105/Ultregra groupset and DuraAce wheel set. It is a lovely machine to smash out miles in!

But that was 8 years ago....... Kids, work, nursery drop offs have taken over any free time I use to have, the Trek hasn't been ridden in over 2 years now :(.

However am determined to get back on the bike, the Broadman will allow me to do the 3 mile to commute from nursey to work without breaking a sweat which means no need to shower/change cloth, and a longer 6 mile commute into the city centre faster than I can drive plus with no parking worries.

By September this year I will be able to walk my daughter to school and than commute to work on the bike - 8 miles, by which time I hope to have some fitness back in the legs, and when combined with the electric motor should really be quite fun!

Will pick the bike up this weekend, cannot wait :).
notxal

Re: Boardman man 8.9E hybrid ordered.

Post by notxal »

Great Choice! - I've also recently returned to the saddle but after nearly 50 years!!!! The weapon of choice was the Boardman ADV 8.9E and have found it excellent to take the strain out of the local leisure rides where there are numerous hills and inclines. The Fazua system is unobtrusive, some people thinking its just a normal bike and doesn't make the bike over heavy. Due to current weather conditions limited riding is possible but have managed a couple 15 mile rides and the battery usage is not excessive when I only put it into turbo mode for the steepest of hills. Fortunately I purchased mine during January when the discount was running plus I got an extra 10% off due to a car club scheme I'm in, so a very competitive price. Currently looking at a more comfortable saddle solution.
90A83229-AC57-4734-89AC-816F575A1BBD.jpeg
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

I liked the advanced but strangely the chap (he looked over 25), in the bike hut convinced me the cost difference wasn't worth for my distance in commuting.

I have to say I was a bit shocked by the weight of these eBikes, given the Trek is 8kg, when he told me the Boardman was the lightest eBike they had by a good margin I wasn't sure how well it would ride but it felt great!!

Ordered the bike on the spot after the test ride, had the 10% off 'sale', going to have mudguards fitted, spend some more on decent D locks/lights via Amazon etc.

Its an expensive bit of kit, but if it gets me fit and back on the Trek for the summer (going to Scotland for 1 week) will be well worth the money.

I did look into the GoCycle folding eBikes for similar price, but as soon as I rode the Broadman I knew I wanted it. It may not look fancy, or have clever LCD displays etc, but it rides like a proper fast road bike, just without the layer of sweat I normally build up on a even a short ride. I even managed to do some car drafting/chasing on the test ride, given my total lack of fitness I was as surprised as the drivers who couldn't loss me in flowing traffic. This thing will be a flying machine once the legs get some miles in, cannot wait :).
flieger114

Post by flieger114 »

I've had one of these since September and have to say in 1000 miles I have been very impressed. I have made a couple of changes including a different saddle but the bike rides well and the Fazua system very easy to use.
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

And its here, looks and feels fab. I was worried about spending so much on a Halfords bike, but very happy. Have added some mandatory lights, toe clips, first commute tomorrow:).

PH

Post by PH »

Looks great and wishing you many happy miles :D
I'd have had full mudguards fitted to keep you and your bike cleaner, those clip on things are better than nothing, but really nothing like as good as the proper thing. It's built for them, Halfords stock them, if it was their decision I don't understand why they chose those.
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

First commute done, 19km round trip, got battered by the wind abit, really glad to have the assistance. Used sub 20% battery. Have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so it'll be Wednesday before getting back on the bike.

Overall really happy with first ride, gives me the right mxiture of effort/work out/speed.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I too have been looking at these mainly because of their light weight. They look and feel very good in the shops I must say. However I read somewhere or perhaps saw it on a youtube clip that the Fazua battery turns itself off after a period of inactivity ( possibly 45 mins?) and to start it again a key must be used. Is this a potential annoyance?????

Anthony
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Antbrewer wrote:I too have been looking at these mainly because of their light weight. They look and feel very good in the shops I must say. However I read somewhere or perhaps saw it on a youtube clip that the Fazua battery turns itself off after a period of inactivity ( possibly 45 mins?) and to start it again a key must be used. Is this a potential annoyance?????

Anthony

The battery turns off after a period of non-use as a measure to both protect it and to avoid a long-term drain should you forget to turn it off after a ride. To switch it on again you simply drop the motor-battery unit with a press of the release button on top of the down tube, press the battery-on switch then pull the motor-battery unit back into the bike. It takes around 5 seconds. There's no key required. You might have to do this if you spend a long time in the cafe. :-)

The battery doesn't turn off whilst you're cycling as it's then controlled via the bar-controller. You can manually switch it on and off should you wish but it's probably easiest to leave it on in the no-assistance mode. This then displays the amount of charge you have left at all times.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

Antbrewer wrote:I too have been looking at these mainly because of their light weight. They look and feel very good in the shops I must say. However I read somewhere or perhaps saw it on a youtube clip that the Fazua battery turns itself off after a period of inactivity ( possibly 45 mins?) and to start it again a key must be used. Is this a potential annoyance?????

Anthony

The battery shuts off after 8hrs of inactivity, realistically that means dropping the battery to turn it on every morning, takes about 5 seconds.

I've not ridden any other eBikes, but the Broadman is doing exactly what I was after. My legs feel tired, its a good work out especially when climbing but I don't end up covered in sweat.

Handling is also great, third day on the bike today and really starting to gel with it. I recon I'll soon move to clipless pedals, the thing loves to be ridden quickly.
Wooly67

Post by Wooly67 »

On BoArdman 8.9e
Should there be a cover on the underside of the bike , where 2 cables are on show As per picture below, if anyone can confirm please, I don’t know if there was one and I’ve lost it, or has not been put on in shop ??
Attachments
9D3D0F8B-EAD3-4161-873A-35A1F95AF69E.jpeg
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

There is no cover. I asked Fazua.

However, it's got lovely little holes to clip one in, if it existed.
I wait in hope of a 3D printing expert to dig us out.
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

Aero bars arrived today, currently doing 60 commuter miles per week. Loving the bike overall, fantastic machine it's essentially replaced my car for commuting:).

Hallben

Post by Hallben »

Hello

I wondered what you think of this bike now you have had it for a while. Are you still happy with it any problems?

Thanks
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

I can answer for my better half's 8.9e HYB, purchased just over a year ago. Only one minor problem:
- the 4 Torx bolts holding the crank housing on came loose. Very simple to fix, and it hasn't happened since

The older style battery release mechanism isn't as good as the newer type, but it's not a showstopper.

Other than that, it's done a sterling job. She's very happy with it, and I would have bought one for myself but a used Orbea Gain turned up at the right price, right time.