Cannondale Ebike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Antbrewer

Re: Cannondale Ebike

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Borisface
I have looked at the Cube bikes along with other similar models . All good hence making decisions very difficult. I have a Claude Butler hybrid for local use and it does get a lot of use too. Done a few short tours on it and love it to bits. About 4 yrs ago I bought a Ridgeback Voyger and have done some touring in this country and a couple of tours in Austria and Germany . Last tear's tour knackered me so that is why I am heading down this road. I will be 72 this April and have a few medical issues having had a spinal cancer a few yrs ago. In my heart I wanted a similar looking bike ( looks are important for me though that might be silly?) A road touring bike but with a motor!
So many look slightly heavier and chunky bikes though without a doubt are very comfortable and excellent rides. In Austria and Germany 90% of the folk I saw were on Ebikes and the heavier looking models namely Riese and Muller and Kalkhof and those sort. So I came back thinking this was what I would be getting.
I then had to consider the weight issue as I have this tow bar rack and with my wife's ebike hitched up I was limited.
Then I came upon the Cannondale which seems to fit my criteria.
I might go and look at it this week and a little ride hopefully. It is possible I wont gel with it and then we start again but I have high hopes looking at all the post you chaps have sent in and the research I have done on it.
Fingers crossed.
Anthony
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I have at last had a ride on the cannondale synapse neo 2. I took a test ride today in a car park for 20 mins. What a comfortable ride. The geometry certainly suited my build and shape. The medium size was just right for me. Very impressed I must say. Although there were no hills in the car park and therefore couldn't experience the bosch kicking in the smoothness and ease was great. I do like the uprightness of the sitting position.

Next stage is taking a deep breath and putting down a deposit. I know there is a limited number of these in the country at the moment and the next delivery will not be until Sept this year with a 4 wk wait on that so that would be October. So I'd better pull my finger out I think. My lovely wife is urging me to buy it too. ( I believe she thinks that once I have one I might stop talking about ebikes? ) That probably wont happen!

Anthony
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

Antbrewer wrote: I am attracted by the weight of this bike having now had second thoughts on the Fazua system ( Boardman and the Bergamont types).

Done 100 miles commuting miles on the Boardman with Fazua system now. Loving it, gives a really nice boost when it really matters, hills/wind. If you just want to sit back and relax its not the system for you. But if you want to get fit without getting drenched in sweat its fab.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Gangzoom wrote:
Antbrewer wrote: I am attracted by the weight of this bike having now had second thoughts on the Fazua system ( Boardman and the Bergamont types).

Done 100 miles commuting miles on the Boardman with Fazua system now. Loving it, gives a really nice boost when it really matters, hills/wind. If you just want to sit back and relax its not the system for you. But if you want to get fit without getting drenched in sweat its fab.

The ladywife has a Fazua-equipped road bike of the "endurance" kind - a race bike style but with longer wheelbase, fat tyres and higher head tube to give a fairly relaxed and upright position. As you say, such bikes (and their Fazua motor profile for power delivery) suits those who want to feel like they're on an ordinary bike that someone has made weigh nothing on the hills or made super-aero against the wind. It rides just like any other "endurance" bike.

This is doubly true in that the motor/battery can be dropped out of the downtube in 1 second, with a button press, to leave a bike that still functions as a bike - but without the magic helper up hills and against the wind. The weight is just under 15 kg with the motor/battery in and just over 11 kg without. The particular bike she bought (Focus Paralane2) also comes with full black-painted aluminium mudguards fitted.

The only lack for a would be tourist on such a bike is a lack of mountings for front or rear racks. The mudguard mounts are wee screw 'oles in the frame that take special guard attachments, rather than the standard eyes. But a tourist willing to use under-downtube or under-saddle bags could do light touring on such a bike. And charge the motor/battery unit in the B&B room rather than hope for a bike shed with a power socket. And lift the bike on to a car carrier without getting a hernia. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

After much 'Should I or Shouldn't I' it is done.
The order for a cannondale Synapse Neo 1 has been placed. I drove over to the LBS I have adopted now and put down the deposit yesterday . Might be in by the end of the week but it will next week when I collect it. The chappy is putting on mud guards and a rack. I will take some pedals over to put those on as they don't come with pedals. ( Nothing unusual on expensive bikes I am told)
Even though I test rode the Neo 2 last week I then compared (fatal) the Neo 1 and 2. The gears and levers are a couple of upgrades up on the Neo 2 as are the brakes so I thought 'What the hell, In for a penny in for a pound plus plus and the rest?'

So now I mustn't look or read anything about different models and pros and cons etc etc. That might be difficult.
I shall report back on the early rides.
Thanks for all the info garnered from here.
Anthony

PS I hope my cerebral synapses were working when I put down the deposit!
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Well done! You won’t regret it,but you might get face ache in the cold weather from the big grin permanently attached to your visage ! :D
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

That I can cope with.
Thanks Bobbin.
Anthony
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I went over to my LBS yesterday paid the balance ( quite a big balance I might add) and put the cannondale synapse neo 1 on the bike rack and drove home. The chappy had put on mudguards and a rack so it is ready . The next issue is a rear light fixing. Always a pain I find.

Today with a break in the weather took it for a spin. Very comfortable ride though the saddle is a trite harder than my other two bikes. Purrs along very smoothly and didn't notice any additional weight when the bosch was turned off. I tried to ride it like I will hopefully do in the future. That is like a normal bike but using the motor only when needed. Certainly kicks in even in Eco mode and also very good in Tour. Yet to try the Sports and Turbo modes. Had a good christening as I got soaked before arriving back home.
Very pleased indeed.
The trouble with me is that when I am on my own I tend to push myself so I need to go out with my wife to just go a little slower. She bought herself a Pendleton ebike last year which she loves so we might be flashing around the West Mids in the coming months.
Overall I think I will enjoy this bike very much and knowing that my poor chest will get some help on the hills is a great feeling.

Thanks for all the input on the forum. Great place.
Anthony
PS Must not look at any other ebikes now!