Get me, my child and 4 bottles of beer up a mountain...

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Somanyquestions2020

Get me, my child and 4 bottles of beer up a mountain...

Post by Somanyquestions2020 »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has advice or comments to help me realise my diy e-bike dream?!

I basically want to get me, my mountain bike, my 20 month year old son and four bottles of Efes beer up a mountain in Turkey.

My boyfriend is building a log cabin at the top of a mountain in Turkey. I can get down the mountain the 7miles to the nearest town relatively easily! So that’s area is covered!

Getting back up has proved difficult/not do able. At least for me anyhow!

I hired a 250watt hub motor e-bike and attempted the first part of the journey which has a 10% incline and and got about a third of the way home before I had to stop and collapse. I tried the slightly less steep way home without the weight of my child and did manage however. Was a bit out of puff but managed it.

Anyhow here is some info I have gathered that should help. If anyone feels like helping me...

E-bike calculations...

My weight = 54kg
Wrigglebum weight = 12kg take into consideration how much Wrigglebum will grow. The seat will take 22kg max
Bike weight (including seat) = 20.5kg
Bike basket = 1kg (I think, don’t have a basket yet)
Nappy bag with water for me and Wrigglebum bottle=5kg
X4 Beers =0.35kg
Total weight = 92.85kg

Mid motor weight=?
Battery pack weight=?

Total weight now is=?

Distance (to centre)...
There (downhill) = 6.4miles say 7 miles? Or 12km
Back (uphill some is 10% gradient but it’s ALL uphill, sometimes gravel sometimes tarmac) = 6.4miles say 7miles? Or 12km
24km there and back
Could calculate just for back?

My watts input= ? Not sure, I am slim but that doesn’t mean I’m fit! Hopefully I will get fitter but want to find something where it requires me to do minimum input.

I don’t want to go fast. Just want to get up the mountain

I am pretty sure I am going to buy my kit from aliexpress tr. I would get a Bafang but unfortunately they don’t ship those to Turkey. Or if they do they charge you the price of the motor again in tax. I have seen a few kits that don’t seem to be un-branded for about £156. But they are only 450watt. Then looks like I’ll be getting the battery separately. Seen one for £96. They are 500 watt I think.

My boyfriend is an Electrician and is going to fit it for me. He has had a bit of input and says I have to make sure I get the right volt of controller.

I am aware of the laws in Turkey and they are the same as the UK roughly. If over 250 watts it has to be registered with the police and have tax and insurance. But I’m ok to go down this route

A lot of my local pals say it can’t be done! But I’m sure it can! Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)
stodd

Re: Get me, my child and 4 bottles of beer up a mountain...

Post by stodd »

Beware the cheap nominally high power motor kits. They are mostly direct drive, fast on the flat, very bad at hills, require a very potent battery, and are very inefficient. It may be the 250w one you tried was wired more for speed than torque; there may be suitable ones. (See woosh's reply on your Pedalecs thread).

4x beers at 0.35kg is very optimistic. Even a tiny beer is 330ml; so already 0.33kg without the bottle.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

250W is plenty, but you won't be going uphill at 90mph.

A mid drive is a sensible option, to give you better torque from the motor - but depending on the bike you might be able to just use a motor geared for a larger wheel than you have. Yes, it will cut out earlier (i.e. at a lower speed), but that probably doesn't matter.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
stodd

Post by stodd »

She's probably going for the BBS01, which matches what you suggest. See the extensive parallel thread at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ain.36904/

(I'm sure she'd welcome any suggestions of cheap ways of get it shipped with battery to Turkey.)