Tuning a merida e160 9000

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Volt outta da blue
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Mar 2020, 9:37pm

Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby Volt outta da blue » 26 Mar 2020, 10:07pm

Hi all, new to ebikes and forum but been mtbing for years.
I've recently purchased a merida e160 9000 a couple of weeks ago and my knees are loving it, I'm after some info on the best way to de-restrict/modify the speed limiter, I'm not after endless power just something that raises the limit a bit as I find myself "cruising" at the 15mph cut off speed, and the motor constantly cuts in and out. This can't be helping the motor longevity surely, I'd be happy with a cut off around the 22mph area.
I've googled options but I'm unsure of what's a safe option for the bike. I'd like to know what options are best and safe for the bikes electrical system, I've seen a hack about moving the pick up sensor to read revolutions from the crank arm instead of the wheel, I'd prefer something a bit more factory looking. I've seen everything from plug in boxes to a disc thing that alters the revolution speed of the pick up magnet, which I like the idea of as it doesn't actually interfere with the electrics just slows the the magnets revolutions, kind of like a planetary gear.
The magnet on my bike is built into the brake disc and the pick up is attached to the inner chainstay. The speed reading on the head unit doesn't need to be accurate (but would be nice if it was) as I use a wahoo elemnt bolt.
Can anyone reccomend something safe and reliable with possibly a link to the retailer ? That would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Col.

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 3110
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby Cugel » 27 Mar 2020, 8:20am

No. :-)

Cugel

hemo
Posts: 662
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby hemo » 27 Mar 2020, 12:00pm

If it is Di2 model may be no.
A dongle is illegal but can fool the speed read out by half so you can go a bit faster.
This company can release speed for most mid motor.

https://www.ebiketuning.com/

Volt outta da blue
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Mar 2020, 9:37pm

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby Volt outta da blue » 27 Mar 2020, 12:39pm

hemo wrote:If it is Di2 model may be no.
A dongle is illegal but can fool the speed read out by half so you can go a bit faster.
This company can release speed for most mid motor.

https://www.ebiketuning.com/

Thanks, I did find this site on a Google search. Not sure if any of the options they offer are safe and reliable though, was hoping someone with electrical knowledge could say a,b or c is fine but avoid x,y and z ! The bike cost £7000 so don't want to risk burning wiring or motor out.
It doesn't have di2 shifting, I understand people will get on their moral high horse about derestricting but I don't ride on the road only mtb trails or dedicated trail centres, I'm a 45 year old adult who rides responsibly! Not a teenager who's going to tear about the place. I'm not after limitless power with silly top speeds, just something that can raise the limit a little to stop the motor cutting in and out constantly as I find 15 mph pretty much my happy cruising speed. I use eco mode 95% of the time trail mode 4% and very rarely use boost mode at all as im not after the bike to do all the work.
On the flats I can put a little more effort in and ride just above the cut off but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the assistance in the first place, and as I'm riding trails even the flats have slight inclines that slow you slightly causing the motor to cut in and out making the ride kind of "Stop, go, stop, go".
If no one knows or can advise that's fine I'll move on, it's not my intention to provoke people.
Thanks.

stodd
Posts: 202
Joined: 6 Jun 2018, 10:24am

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby stodd » 27 Mar 2020, 2:57pm

Have you checked that its all working as designed and that the firmware is all up to date? A quality ebike should have progressive reduction in assistance around 15.5mph with no serious kicking in and out such as you describe.

I usually go slower than that (different age, different type of bike, Motus with Bosch) even with assist on the flat, but when I do put in a bit more oomph it feels perfectly smooth at any speed around the cutoff range. I get the impression that is the general experience.

If you ask on Pedelecs you will probably get much more detailed advice than here.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... cussion.2/
or technically at
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.43/

Volt outta da blue
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Mar 2020, 9:37pm

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby Volt outta da blue » 27 Mar 2020, 5:35pm

stodd wrote:Have you checked that its all working as designed and that the firmware is all up to date? A quality ebike should have progressive reduction in assistance around 15.5mph with no serious kicking in and out such as you describe.

I usually go slower than that (different age, different type of bike, Motus with Bosch) even with assist on the flat, but when I do put in a bit more oomph it feels perfectly smooth at any speed around the cutoff range. I get the impression that is the general experience.

If you ask on Pedelecs you will probably get much more detailed advice than here.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... cussion.2/
or technically at
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.43/


Thanks for your input.
I will check those links out.
The firmware says it's up to date on the app, I wouldn't say the cutting in and out is overly harsh but it is definitely noticeable. On my non-assisted bike I do "cruise" a few mph slower, I've only rode my e-bike 4 times now in the couple of weeks I've owned it so maybe it's just me that's still new to the e-bike experience, but going a few mph slower or faster than the limiter speed doesn't feel "natural". I did demo a Santa Cruz heckler with the same motor but it was guided and involved climbing up trails then descending downhill trails so not really ideal at getting a feel for a steady cruising speed, perhaps that was an error on my half though !

hemo
Posts: 662
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby hemo » 28 Mar 2020, 12:01am

Dongle's don't damage the motor as it doesn't release any ore current or watts, simply it just tricks the speedo reading to allow pedalling above 25km/h.
There is no x, y or z to tamper with the settings or software, Bosch and others have seen to that, only fooling the speed magnet seems to do the trick.

Volt outta da blue
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Mar 2020, 9:37pm

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby Volt outta da blue » 28 Mar 2020, 9:49am

hemo wrote:Dongle's don't damage the motor as it doesn't release any ore current or watts, simply it just tricks the speedo reading to allow pedalling above 25km/h.
There is no x, y or z to tamper with the settings or software, Bosch and others have seen to that, only fooling the speed magnet seems to do the trick.


Thanks for the info.
So any one of these should be fine ?

https://www.ebiketuning.com/shop/shiman ... imano.html

https://www.ebiketuning.com/shop/shiman ... imano.html

https://www.ebiketuning.com/shop/shiman ... e8000.html

Would any one be a better option over the others?
They all seem to give total unrestricted power, I was hoping just to add an extra 5 -7 mph onto the cut off limit.

hemo
Posts: 662
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Tuning a merida e160 9000

Postby hemo » 28 Mar 2020, 11:38pm

It depends on the sensor on your bike, the Badass 4 is the best one to fit it simply clips over the existing sensor with no wiring.
You pedal as fast as you want, if you want about 22 mph pedal until the speed reading says 11/12 mph.