New to ebikes can't decide

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stodd

Re: New to ebikes can't decide

Post by stodd »

Frame size is more an issue of inside leg measurement, though if your legs are proportionately longer your torso is proportionately shorter which makes forward reach important too. If at all possible do try out in a shop. Many modern bikes are much more adjustable than traditional touring bikes, so trying the exact bike is less important (not all agree:I was brought to task for a statement like that just the other day).

It also depends on how you are going to ride; if your maximum ride will be an hour or two then precise fit is less important than if you expect to ride all day. Though it would be a shame to get an ill-fitting bike that put you off gradually extending your riding time.

Different brands and different people have very different views. I personally prefer a frame that is smaller than usually suggested for my height/leg, but that often means I need a way to raise the handlebars more.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

To be honest you may be better getting a step through frame just like this one and like i said the holy grail for me is defo try before you buy and get a test ride if at all possible. Frame size is only a guide to be honest. Keep us posted and let us know how you get on.

https://www.electricrider.co.uk/product ... KoQAvD_BwE
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Bazang

The last few posts highlight the need to try before you buy if at all possible. The same size will vary slightly on different bikes . The geometry also varies and plays a massive part. Plus the point made about your expected riding. An hour or two or all day in the saddle?
Spending a sum of money should require you to end up with no regrets and a good fitting bike.
Take care and good luck.
Anthony
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you test ride a bike does the bike shop do a bike fit for you and adjust the saddle height, add or remove spacers to raise or lower the handlebars and slide the saddle back or forward on the rails to set it in the right position. Answer is usually no. At 5 ft 2 you need a small size frame less than 50cm. Ideally get a test ride but as you have found not every bike shop will have the bike you are considering in your size. Out of my present bikes three were purchased without a test ride I have had no problems. I did have a bike fit once and when they delivered the bike set up to the dimensions they supposedly took I couldnt reach the pedals! So much for bike shops like AW Cycles of Reading!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Thanks guys, l am at the stage to buy online now as long as l get the size right as most bike shops will not answer the phone, l've been emailing them and waiting for call backs, they have low or no stock.

I've been patient so far and still won't rush into it but if l don't get an ebike soon my heart will give in with the hills near my house, they might not be steep but when l'm riding they feel like mountains hahaa
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

You could try facebook marketplace in the area where you live and view the bike in person as there are some real bargains on there, i got a carrera crossfire 2 for £130 in as new condition and the retail price was £300. I have done nearly 1100 miles on it and not had any issues at all.
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Thanks for all your help on here, l tried a Juicy folding compact bike today and loved it so bought it. It has 8 speed derailleur gears but l'll get used to them as l was hoping for hub gears, these are easy though. Very happy so far, thanks for challenging my thinking and all the helpful hints