New to ebikes can't decide

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Bazang

Re: New to ebikes can't decide

Post by Bazang »

Oh Anthony you are so right, l keep darting from bike to bike then back to the first ones again forgetting why l discounted them.

I didn't trial the Byocycle as l asked my brother, a keen cyclist) to check it out for me, expecting him to tell check the spec but he said it was ugly! No help thee then hahaa.

I'm currently looking at the Wisper again but preferred not to have the battery over the back wheel, l'm all over the place and l'm so glad you said about making decisions being harder as you get older, there is far too much choice. Canondales look amazing but too pricey for me as l'd be terrified of it getting stolen.

The folding types look as though l can wheel them into a shop folded rather than carry it in as it would be too heavy for me
hemo

Post by hemo »

If you like the Wisper and the usually very good CS then have a look at the new down tube incorporated battery designed Wayfarers due out soon, the new bikes have gone for a bit more energy and utilise 43v batteries instead of 36v. A choice of motor cadence and Torque as well as frames which you can mix and match to get the bike spec you want.
https://wisperbikes.com/wisper-works-eroad-bikes-2/
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Thanks Hemo, l've registered an interest after reading your comment, they look great with those options.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Bazang,
One thing that I failed to mention is that I believe it necessary to ride before you buy. I had to travel over to Rutland Cycles ( a round trip of 130 miles for me ) to test ride a cannondale. Spending so much money I wanted to be certain that I had the right bike for me. I then found afterwards a local bike shop that to my surprise was a dealer. No contest. I would always prefer to use a LBS if there is one.

Yes it is pricey but I have it insured and I will be looking after it. It would break my heart if something did happen.

I have now done 550 miles and phoned the shop up for my free service and he cannot manage to fit me in for a couple of weeks as he is so inundated with repairs and also virtually sold all his bikes due to all wanting to get out there on cycles.

Good luck with your hunting. I had to stop looking once I got mine as I didn't want to end thinking I had made the wrong choice. But that's just me.

Anthony
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Do not buy anything less than £1300 retail price as you will live to regret it, if you join the british cycling federation for around £25 you can get a 10% discount off the halfords bikes, and also any bits and bobs purchased there as well, the carrera crossfire seems a decent bike and i would defo not get anything less.
stodd

Post by stodd »

There are plenty of very good ebikes under £1300 from the likes of Woosh, though some (but far from all) of the more expensive ones are indeed better in some way or another.

Halfords do good bikes as well, some well priced (especially with discount). The Crossfire isn't one of them; there have been many reports of Crossfires cutting out seemingly arbitrarily. There was hope the new model resolved that, but it doesn't seem to have done so.

See https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/which-e-bike-should-i-buy.40/ for more advice on buying, and search on that site for Crossfire.
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Thank you everyone l didn't expect further replies but pleased to see them.

I've got my eye on an Ortler and also have chance to trial the Raleigh Motus tomorrow and can ge 10% off for Motorhome and caravan club membership. There are great reviews for the Motus and Ortler but at least l have a better idea of what l'd like now

Thanks once again to you all
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

stodd you would have thought that a massive company like halfords would have sorted that by now when they know what a problem it is, quite frankly it beggars belief to be honest. Any halfords staff on here who can shed light on this issue maybe?
stodd

Post by stodd »

I'm reporting second hand what I have seen on the Pedalecs site and this isn't a case of one poster making an overblown fuss. The opinion there pretty much agrees with yours, it beggars belief. Some customers who were lucky enough to identify the problem early and complain at once were able to get their money back, but many others have been left very dissatisfied.

Obviously there tend to be slightly more posts when people are dissatisfied, but that isn't the kind of forum where people just gripe. Lots of positive comments on Woosh, Juicy, Wisper, Cube, Haibike etc. The two commonest serious issues are Crossfire and people who buy unsuitable big cheap direct drive motors and then worry too late about the necessary battery.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The problem with Halfords is they have decide to go exclusive with the Suntour system, the Suntour systems problem isn't theirs but a third party's issue which for some reason the techies can't sort out. Not unlike the debacle that occurred with Darby built impulse drive that Khalkhoff used for many years on their bikes, the motor wasn't fit for purpose and a failure in all aspects and they never sorted it out.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Halfords are not exclusive Suntour (the one that has proved troublesome), though many of their cheaper ones are. Crossfuse is Bosch, the Boardman ebikes are Fazua.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

I would defo avoid an e-bike with a rear rack mounted battery system as this would make the back end of the bike very heavy as the hub motor is on the rear wheel as well.
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Thanks Foxychic, l had heard that but then bike sellers have told me they havn't noticed this but it's been males who have said it.

Today I had arranged to test a Raleigh Motus but they didnt have one for me to trial so l test rode a Raleigh Motus tour 400c 28" wheels with hub gears, he only had the large size frame and it felt as if l was on a Police horse. Not quite what l thought to be honest but it was my first ebike trial.

I had to use the top sport motor to get up a steepish hill and my quadriceps were working very hard but at least l didn't have to get off the bike like l usually do and walk up the hill.

As the bike was far too big for me l will wait until they get a small framed model with 26" wheels in stock to trial, the hub gears with twist handlebar were so easy for me as l get confused with gears so the price is already going up, looks like my budget has just shifted. It is a heavy bike and l could feel it.

Any more suggestions are welcome, thanks again
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Defo try before you buy and just make sure you take your time, the most important thing is get a bike that fits you right as you will not want to ride it if it does not feel comfortable, i would never ever buy any bike without a test ride first, i like the halfords carrera crossfire to be honest and you can hire one for a 48 hour free trial to see how you get on with it, also if you join the british cycling federation for around £25 you can get 10% off at halfords and if you use quidco website another 4% as well, so if you wanted the crossfuse model you could get it for around £1400 as it is already down from £1900 to £1600.
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Please can you advise me on frame size, l know different makes have different measurements for frames and it's confusing me.

I'm 5'2" and the recommended frame size for me should be 47-49cm (Xsmall) but bikes seem to be 45 or 46cm (xxs) then jump to 50cm (small) is there not much in it when you ride it?

Am l better going for the XXS or Small size if there is no XS?
Thanks