What fat-tyred, folding, E-bikes (Not Chinese)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Buzz

What fat-tyred, folding, E-bikes (Not Chinese)

Post by Buzz »

Hello all.
Like a lot of people (I suspect) my wife and I have just got back to cycling again after 13 years! We'd like to replace our bikes, as we've really enjoyed the past few weeks, but they are old. We've tried a 'fat tyre' bike and liked it a lot. So...we're after two (maybe three) fat tyre folding ebikes (20"). BUT, we don't want to give any more money to China than we have to, so we don't want 'Chinese'-made bikes. I realise it's impossible to avoid Chinese products altogether, but we've surprised ourselves in the past few weeks that other countries do make stuff if you just research a bit (even found a British washing machine and oven!!!).
So, can anyone suggest such bikes - maybe made in Taiwan? Yes, we've carried out a lot of research on YouTube and Google in the past two days, but the info isn't easy to come by. We did find one bike, but we would have purchased a good used car for that price. Obviously, it also has to be 250 watts to be road legal.
I'd just like to add, I have no problem with people if they still want to carry on buying Chinese stuff and supporting the PRC, that's your choice. But we don't, in as much as is possible. Does anyone know of a fat tyre folding ebike (20") made in Taiwan, or elsewhere? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Graham on 11 May 2020, 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
col2019

Re: Not China

Post by col2019 »

good for you ,bring manufacturing back to uk,
fivebikes

Re: What fat-tyred, folding, E-bikes (Not Chinese)

Post by fivebikes »

You can find bikes from the UK and Europe but they come at a price......which is why people look to Chinese made products.
Brompton (16”) are good and UK made.
Vitoria (20”) look good and made in Germany but as with Bromptons, pricey.
http://blacklionbikes.co.uk/product/vic ... town-city/
stodd

Post by stodd »

Look at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta
Many parts Chinese or other east Asian, but assembled in UK (Southend), and excellent UK service.
How fat do you mean by fat?

I don't know for sure on the Victoria, but I think it is very likely assembled in Germany or wherever, but the frame is made in China. It's Bosch motor is made in China. The same applies to brands like Raleigh, Cube, etc.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Thanks. We looked at the Victoria, but the tyres aren't 'fat' as in something like an Aventon Sinch - https://www.aventon.com/products/avento ... able-ebike
The Whoosh Rambletta is, I'm afraid, ALL Chinese. The lady at Whoosh did say that Taiwanese bikes are very good. That's good news if I can get one! By 'fat tyre' I mean something like the Aventon Sinch, Rattan Fat Bear, or the Lectric XP.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Wow, that Aventon bike has got fat tyres!! Without mudguards you might get wider tyres on the Victoria but nothing like that!
These Specialized are close but not all 20” wheels or tyres are the same....lots of researching needed!
https://www.certini.co.uk/45778/product ... gJomPD_BwE
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Catherine & Rosalind's bikes refer. May be a bit spendy :wink: but definitely not Chinese, and principles cost...

http://www.beaumontbicycle.com/
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Yes, yet more research needed.
Principles do cost. I'm an engineer, and have avoided Chinese products for years, anyway (on quality grounds). I designed (and make) a product which I sell. I employed the use of an agent to find a roto-moulder, specifying that it must not be Chinese (and I was willing to pay extra). He ignored me, and I got a prototype sent direct to me from China (so they never listened to him, either!). It was so bad that it couldn't even be tested!
I'll keep looking, but if anyone gets to hear of a Taiwan manufacturer, please let me know. I did wonder about sending that lady frame maker an email to see if she could make them, but I'm guessing it would be used-car prices. Amazing photos on that website.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

She's not at the top of the market by any means when it comes to pricing, but hand-crafted made to measure isn't cheap, of course. I've no connection at all except for enjoying a couple of conversations with her and seeing her niche as a maker of 'unusual' frames develop, commission by commission.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Another option, separable not folding, 20” but not really fat tyres but mostly UK built and designed is the ARCC Moulton.
https://www.arccbikes.com/pages/moulton-with-e2-pod
The suspension might not appeal.... We have one and it is good but, again, pricey!
hemo

Post by hemo »

Your ebike will be part Chinese in one way or another all hubs or midrive will be made in China barring maybe Yamaha or Steps, Bosch are China made as will a lot of the electronics irrelevant of the name on the name of the brand.
Try Gocycle a niche UK designed built bike.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Think I've found one! Not cheap, but Danish company, made in Taiwan...
https://www.mate.bike/eu/mate-x/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Doesn't strike me as particularly expensive for what it is tbh. Nice little bikes :D
the snail

Post by the snail »

Buzz wrote:Think I've found one! Not cheap, but Danish company, made in Taiwan...
https://www.mate.bike/eu/mate-x/

I'll give you 3 guesses as to where the motor is made :wink:
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Yes, and I suspect other parts, too. It's unavoidable, but I'm making an effort to give them as little as my money as possible. Citizen Watches pulled out of China this week, as did Microsoft's Nokia. Other companies will follow. China is heading for collapse for other reasons than disgruntled buyers. It will cause a huge global recession, maybe even a depression, when it happens...but it will, perhaps in a few years. Personally, having seen what they have done to my family and people I personally know (one death so far) I don't want to support China - or rather as little as is possible. My family is doing the same. From the comments on YouTube, many people are doing this. It's VERY difficult. My wife has had to stop buying solar lights :D so that's a good thing. And I was meant to purchase a pill/tablet punch for just £9 last week (didn't buy it). Even if you only multiplied me by one million people, that's still a lot of buyers turning away. It may only be a trickle, but that trickle could turn into a flood if we get a second wave of Covid19. When the inevitable inquiry comes into what China knew and did, then there will be even more people like me.

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who gave advice and links - much appreciated. We have planned cycle rides around Berkshire for the summer, and down to Bournemouth on our new Taiwanese bikes. I'd like to leave this thread open, though, as we haven't purchased them yet - I still want to see if there are any alternatives, so if you see one, please give me a link. I have just received an email from the Taiwanese 'embassy' in London with some links to folding ebike manufacturers there.