What fat-tyred, folding, E-bikes (Not Chinese)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Buzz

Re: What fat-tyred, folding, E-bikes (Not Chinese)

Post by Buzz »

No, I was wrong! Turns out they make two versions - one from China (which apparently has build issues) and one from Taiwan (which is better), but the service level...!!! Jesus! I emailed them, they haven't emailed back. Couldn't find their UK website - finally found it tucked away on Google under a different name, and a guy said a different company name when he picked up the phone - and had to pass me to someone, so they're obviously running at least two businesses from the same phone. No problem with that, though.
But... apparently getting the company to respond is a waste of time. One bloke has been waiting since November for spare parts. They have serious build and quality issues according to some, and the customer support is non-existent. Apparently they are one of these new people-funded companies who subscribe to bring the company into existence.
To top it all, I couldn't order the colours I wanted as their UK website rejected all my tries. I phoned them, and the guy said he would phone me back with a price for ordering two (couldn't just tell me on the phone). The guy phoned me back, apologetic, and offered to knock £50 off each bike if ordered, but I really don't have any confidence at all in the Danish company...so the search continues.
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

I currently have a 10 month old Brompton Electric 6speed folder (H6R) and find it first class. Unfortunately I tripped over a month ago and fractured my elbow as well as damaging my shoulder.
Similar to the OP I’m thinking of getting something with “bungier” tyres and am looking at the Tern Vektron S10.... it’s got 20” wheels and Schwalbe Big Apple tyres. I don’t know if you’ve thought of a Vektron? The downside it doesn’t fold down very small as it has the larger wheels and weighs about 23kg!
The Vektron seems to get good reviews and might be worth a look for you.... as far as I’m concerned I’ll have to sell the Brompton first as having in excess of £6,000 “invested” in bikes would take a lot of persuading SWMBO that it’s a good idea!!

AB662E92-9956-45F4-BD0E-788CF282AA0E.jpeg
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

The trouble is, it doesn't have fat tyres, and it cost £3,600 :shock: This bike is made in Vietnam. With all due respect to those involved in importing and selling it, just how much is this being made for in Vietnam...£600? And as someone in business myself, I suspect it's less than that! So someone is 'making' £3,000. :shock:

My research with Taiwanese companies has given up no fruit. The Taiwanese embassy were very helpful and gave me email addresses of ebike manufacturers in Taiwan who had exactly what I'm looking for...and not one company have answered a single email. Evidently, they've no wish to sell them outside of Taiwan!

My only option is Chinese - who do want to sell you their stuff. I'm gutted that I haven't be able to find a single manufacturer anywhere who actually makes a good fat-tyred folding ebike - and is a 'good' company. The MATE.X, as I've said, is half decent. But the company is terrible! Still, to this day, they haven't answered my email asking to buy one! So imagine how it would be getting spares. And it cost almost £2,000, and you're supposed to put it together yourself. Meanwhile, I can buy a Chinese one with good reviews for £852.

I'm not happy.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Just an update. Managed to find a Taiwan supplier. I asked the price for two to be shipped over (I would pay the shipping) and to pay by PayPal for security. No to PayPal, wanted me to buy 154 bikes at £533 each. So that's £82,000 plus the vat @ 20%, plus the import tax of 6% equals £104,408...plus the cost of shipping in a container AND shipping insurance.
I think he does a comedy club at weekends.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Buzz wrote:Just an update. Managed to find a Taiwan supplier. I asked the price for two to be shipped over (I would pay the shipping) and to pay by PayPal for security. No to PayPal, wanted me to buy 154 bikes at £533 each. So that's £82,000 plus the vat @ 20%, plus the import tax of 6% equals £104,408...plus the cost of shipping in a container AND shipping insurance.

I think that's a nice little earner at the moment. Brave pills required, mind :D
hemo

Post by hemo »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Buzz wrote:Just an update. Managed to find a Taiwan supplier. I asked the price for two to be shipped over (I would pay the shipping) and to pay by PayPal for security. No to PayPal, wanted me to buy 154 bikes at £533 each. So that's £82,000 plus the vat @ 20%, plus the import tax of 6% equals £104,408...plus the cost of shipping in a container AND shipping insurance.

I think that's a nice little earner at the moment. Brave pills required, mind :D

Did you include the EU anti dumping tax for China bikes of about 78% or so.
The reason why UK vendors like Woosh, Wisper and others build up there bikes within the UK & EU now, the German led anti dumping campaign means complete built bikes aren't affordable to sell. Bosch especially want a monopoly and are very anti competitive.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Yes, the anti-dumping tax doesn't apply to Taiwan (I believe) as it isn't a part of China (despite what China says!). I had to give up. £533 plus ALL the expenditure in getting them here (even if they would sell me two, which they said they wouldn't) just isn't actually worth it. Shipping for four of them was well over £400! It appears to me that the market is wide open to some enterprising person in a country that isn't China to make fat-tyred, folding ebikes and open a European outlet. But it has to be competitive. China is selling such bikes way below £1,000 (we've just bought two at just £845 each - with front & rear suspension). European and US companies selling such bikes seem to have a 'too-good' profit margin. I'm in business myself - and you have to either be very competitive on your pricing, or go for an upmarket product to charge a premium price.