What milage do you get with a Bosch Drive?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
al_yrpal

Re: What milage do you get with a Bosch Drive?

Post by al_yrpal »

Anthony, I dont have a bike computer fitted, I have one, perhaps I should fit it? If you are doing 20 to 30 every day thats quite impressive. Even Eco mode on Performance Line gives up to 55% assistance.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products ... ance-line/

The Active line that you have gives 40% making it more economical

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/active-line/

I am not clear if this means up to 55% and up to 40% which could make a big difference.

Its nice to see some real world figures anyway. Downhill freewheeling my bike is very quick because its heavy!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
stodd

Post by stodd »

I don't think the 40%/55% etc are 'up to' figures. How much the motor puts in varies with how much you put in, but the ratio stays the same. That is at least, as much the same as the system can make it; I don't know how precisely and consistently it manages it.

One element of 'up to' will be if you put in so much effort that the motor just can't manage its proportionate share. I think that's pretty unlikely on eco, but could certainly kick in on high assist settings. Even on tour I sometimes notice the Intuvia 'power' meter going pretty much to its top.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Same bike, same rider, different terrain and conditions I’ve seen between 40-120km out of a Bosch 625 battery.
stodd

Post by stodd »

@Aikon: I agree. I usually suggest as a rough guide to assume that a typical slightly hard ride will give 1/3 of manufacturers 'up to' figures; less if the rider uses high assist settings for most of the ride.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Al
I have always had a bike computer on all my bikes for many many years. Time, distance., speed and Max speed etc etc. Do I ever look at the calorie count and some of the other things???......No. But it is there .
Prior to the purchase I thought I wouldn't bother fitting it because the Purion display had the basics. However when I compared the readings having ridden with Alex my wife against her computer there was a wide discrepancy.
So I then fitted my computer and again a discrepancy. As I said previously I now have it in sync more or less to the Bosch.
The big question for me is '' Does it really matter to the nth degree?'' Sure we want an accurate read out of the important things but can we overdo the technology available? Yep I think we can.

Again with the % readings of torque etc on the expected performance of the motors. I am not going to get bogged down with this. For many it seems important and that's fine. The last thing I want to find is that my bike isn't exactly doing what the brochure says it should and then get depressed about spending all this money.....You know where I am going with this I'm sure.
When I am riding down a beautiful lane in the countryside and can hear the birds chirping away and the lambs bleating and the bike is gliding along motor engaged or not I do not need to be working out whether or wondering if the bike is performing at it's optimum against the spec.
I can be tech minded when I need to be but I have tried to leave that behind when I retired and out on the bike I have other things to enjoy. But each to their own. Providing the machine is working well then I am working well so to speak.

However I do enjoy the inputs about all this on this forum. I do learn a lot .
Anthony
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Anthony, you just described why I no longer have a bike computer, and I always have my Purion simply designating the mode I am currently in, I never look at milages I have done. I do rely on cycle.travel and Osmand+ to give me an idea of distances before going on longer rides so that I dont suffer from any range anxiety. Perhaps I'll leave the Bike Computer off.
I am planning to ride to Lyme Regis soon, its just under 30 miles at the limit of the battery range so I have been riding with assistance off to build up my strength and endurance unassisted.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Al,
I do like the term 'Range anxiety' and I certainly don't want to suffer with that.
I have used Strava but have to admit to being pretty ignorant of Osmond. will look this up and see. I know of Cycle travel and it looks good although I haven't used it.
Do you recall the good old days when we had Bartholomews maps with that wonderful shading on depicting the sun rising (I think it was ). Spread out over the handle bars trying to read it in the wind. We also had the mileometer clicking away on the front wheel showing only the miles..

We can have too much information I think.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with your Lyme Regis trip.

Anthony
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Anthony when Sir Tim Berners Lee gave his Dimbleby lecture recently he mentioned two things. As you know he 'gave' the world the internet free. He mention Wikipedia and Osmand (open street map, a series of free world maps to which anyone can contribute).as free things he thoroughly approved of in the same spirit of sharing.

I remember those blessed clicking milage trips very well. How far we have come...And I have a bar bag with a transparent top for the map. It doesnt get used much these days :(

Al
A7 Simon

Post by A7 Simon »

55 miles, 2500 feet of climbing on easy terrain, mainly Eco, a little Tour, 2 bars left, "17" miles on the Rangemeter.
scottg

Post by scottg »

al_yrpal wrote:[

Yes, I am aware of this but just wondered what folk got in practice

Al

Bionx 350w, 10ah battery, 40 miles will use 30% of the battery, 1200 feet climbing.
35 miles 2100 feet climbing, 40% battery used.
Note that regen is used on the downhills, descending and climbing are pretty equal on the routes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Eric the Red

Post by Eric the Red »

I'm, 100kg and live in Essex. I regularly do 50 mile rides on Eco with a bit of Tour. 500 battery. I find that I lose one 'bar' at about 25 miles and another at 45. The readout often says that I have up to 50 miles left.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour, 2018 model, 400 Watt battery and I’d expect a 10% reduction in range due to the current age of the battery. I am 200lbs/91Kg. The bike has done 2500 miles now.

30 - 50 mile rides in Cheshire, which undulates, are indicating a range of 75 miles in a mix of eco and tour, probably about a 70/30 mix, so something around 21 miles per 100 watts would be reasonable on a new battery. That is exactly what Eric the Red appears to be achieving at a similar weight to me. I intend to compliment my current battery with a 500 Watt one for £525 ish, to up my range to around 180 miles in Cheshire and maybe 100 or so in Derbyshire. A ride from Poynton to Buxton via Marple and Whaley bridge, returning via the Goyt Valley & Macclesfield, a 38 mile, very hilly ride (3210ft of gain),had the display showing a range of 2 miles left. That was when the bike was only 5 months old. I need more range to do more of that terrain or longer rides in Cheshire
GLJoe

Post by GLJoe »

I'll just throw in some info coming from the opposite end of the range scale to most!

My experience is that if you do a super hilly ride, stick to turbo all the time but push quite hard so the motor is giving close to max power, you're looking at only 20 miles from a 400wh battery.
I've found this to be the case with both Bosch and Yamaha systems.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Those variations are all reasonably close to what the range assistant says.
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
willcee

Post by willcee »

Interesting contris, my cycle bud and I had this conversation just last evening.. his a Giant 2018 E road Ultegra kit with a dongle on the Yamaha motor, bike weighs about 48lbs he about 154 . his battery is the 500w 36 volt and theres 2050 miles on his machine with no issues at all.. mine self build Planet X Monte sl alloy med with Bafang motor 750w and 48 v 17.5 amp battery. weight of machine and rack bags etc about 55 me 200 . and coming in on monday past 41 miles about 1800' climbing 25/30 mph headwind for half the ride, me was on the limit for last half mile, he had 2 segs on his dash left, his mileage was 37. i used level 2/3 for most of the ride out of 5 available power levels.. he used mostly 2. overall ave speed 15mph.. temp was around 10/12 .. now last year we had rides of around 50 miles different weather warmer, more climbing, no wind to speak of and speeds sometimes in excess of 40 down hill with no battery issues or worry but hadn't the 15 ave either, less if memory serves.. I put it down to weather, I'm heavier, I catch more wind and my 48v motor is power greedy and hasn't got his double clanger I run a 46t front ring..last year it was from memory a 50... will