Street Legal Electric Bike Kit - Samsung Power 2.0

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
scotterdavid

Street Legal Electric Bike Kit - Samsung Power 2.0

Postby scotterdavid » 22 May 2020, 7:44pm

Hello,

I was once upon a very active cyclist, however have suffered with chronic fatigue for a number of years. I have kept up a basic weekly mileage and now in lock down get out for a 12/14 mile ride most days. I've been thinking of either purchasing an ebike or a conversion kit so that I can do some light day rides and touring.

With respect to kits, does anyone have any experience of the Street Legal Electric Bike Kit - Samsung Power 2.0 kit? It's a front wheel kit an on offer at the moment. If you do then please do share your thoughts, or else if you can recommend an alternative then that would be useful also. Both my bikes have 700c wheels by the way.

On the other hand could anyone please recommend an ebike suitable for light day rides or touring?

Best regards,
David

Oldjohnw

Re: Street Legal Electric Bike Kit - Samsung Power 2.0

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 May 2020, 8:39pm

I don't know your particular suggestion but I went with this

https://electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/

three years ago and have never looked back. From struggling with 5 miles - and at age 70 - I now ride 100 miles a week, mostly now under my own strength saving power assist for hills. I tour fully laden several times a year about 500 miles a time.

Mine is on the front hub, the easiest for a retro fit. I have occasional wheel spin on a hill, rough surface and loaded. Many experts will no doubt fault my choice but I speak as I find. I have gone from a full battery lasting 40 miles to now up to 80-1000, through a combination of increased fitness and increased skill at balancing gears and level of assistance.

Whatever your choice, best wishes and good luck.
John

stodd

Postby stodd » 22 May 2020, 8:58pm

The Dillinger looks a reasonable kit; possibly a bit overpriced even at the sale price. Reasonable but not large battery. You'll probably get a bit less that even their 'average' range but it depends a huge amount on how much assist you use.

The max assisted speed of 20mph makes it technically illegal as a pedalec in UK/RU. (legal limits are nominal 250w motor and 15.5mph assisted speed, and you must be pedalling to get assist. No decent kit will give any resistance when you ride over that speed, just stop assisting

I'd recommend Woosh (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/) They do good kits and excellent customer service and advice. They have front, rear and mid-drive kits. All have their pros and cons; a little more details about how hilly it is near you and the kind of bike you are converting would be helpful. I'd guess rear hub would be best, but can't really say without more details.

Ask at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/. Lots of very knowledgeable people there (and you'll quickly see one or two to avoid)

Go for a cadence sensor kit. This means the motor can power you as long as you turn the pedals, no need for effort. More expensive torque kits give a more natural ride but you still have to put in significant effort which could be a problem for you towards the end of a ride.

scotterdavid

Postby scotterdavid » 25 May 2020, 11:04am

Thank you very much for your replies to my post. I'll take a look at your recommendations and see how I get on.