Costco ebike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Bazang

Costco ebike

Post by Bazang »

I wonder if you could have a quick look on the spec of this Costco bike please. It seems cheap for what it is, is it a bargain? Or not worth buying?

My budget has gradually increased from £1,200 to £2300 over time, l have now decided to avoid folding bikes but want a step through bike preferrably with hub gears as l'm useless with gears but this bike has no gears that l can see.

My shortlist was reduced to Ortler step throughs but they didnt have my size and Raleigh Motus Tour with an additional £100 for hub gears. Should l add this to my shortlist please?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Le ... e/p/301291

Thanks for your help
Angela
Bazang

Re: Costco ebike

Post by Bazang »

Sorry it is 8 speed
Bazang

Post by Bazang »

Sorry again this is not my height either but it might be helpful for others
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The description does not make sense, no gears, eight gears or what?

Actually a single-speed ebike with motor help might be a good idea :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

The title of the Costco ad provides the answer to the number of gears!

It clearly says it is a single speed bike, it has no gears at all. It’s OK if you live in a flat place with zero hills!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

saudidave wrote:The title of the Costco ad provides the answer to the number of gears!

It clearly says it is a single speed bike, it has no gears at all. It’s OK if you live in a flat place with zero hills!

A single speed with electrical assist probably would work quite well in most places - except Cornwall.
IME of e-bikes you can mostly ignore (most) hills and let the motor pay for it's keep.

Overall gears are the biggest issue for me with e-bikes. I find them too many, I'd be happy with 3 but the problem with 3 speed hubs is they're spaced too far apart!

Good thing about Costco is their return policy is second to none. Buy it, use it and if you don't like it take it back. IME they never ask questions, they simply refund the cash.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I don’t know which e bikes kwackers has been riding if he can “ignore most hills”

I have to change down gears and increase power with hills on a Bosch active line plus assisted bike. I can assure everyone I can’t ignore hills of any nature!
hemo

Post by hemo »

How many gears and which power mode is of course all dependant on how fit one is or how strong ones legs are, what one person can do and get away with another can't.
I 'm same as Saudidave I have to at times lower gearing and use higher PAS level.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

hemo wrote:How many gears and which power mode is of course all dependant on how fit one is or how strong ones legs are, what one person can do and get away with another can't.
I 'm same as Saudidave I have to at times lower gearing and use higher PAS level.

When touring fully laden in Scotland I have been on highest power and lowest gear and still struggled. Power alone would not have got me up some hills.
John