Decathon bike. Adding a second battery?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
adri123

Decathon bike. Adding a second battery?

Post by adri123 »

Hi

Thinking of getting a decathlon e-st520.

Would it be possible to add a second battery? I was thinking of getting one of the rear rack mounted ones.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Adri
hemo

Re: Decathon bike. Adding a second battery?

Post by hemo »

It might be possible if the electronics are quite basic and have no CANbus style handshaking between battery and motor/controller, a rack will change the ride style/feel of the bike esp if you use it for off road.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I'm 99% sure you cant do that.

Al :wink:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
borisface

Post by borisface »

Probably your best option would be to buy a spare battery from decathlon when you buy the bike, if they will sell you one, carry it in a saddle bag and swap over when needed.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The battery charger will tell you if it is possible to wire in a another battery but you would need to know if the pin connector is two wire or four wires.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Have looked at that bike too.....
Spare batteries are available and could be carried on rides and swapped if needed.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/battery-36v ... 37311.html
borisface

Post by borisface »

2 batteries = 800+w/h for under £2k is going to get you some very serious range. Maybe 100 miles.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

There was a recent discussion on the UK pedelec forum about 'paralleling up' two batteries including a DIY effort using Schotky diodes and somewhere either in that thread or an associated one, Woosh (as in Woosh cycles Southend) indicated that he was going to be selling a commercial product for 'joining' two batteries.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ost-574931
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
philg

Post by philg »

2 batteries = 800+w/h for under £2k

£2k!! - I'm expecting delivery of another Hailong type battery next week, 540Wh for £220
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
hemo

Post by hemo »

The Woosh device simply allows two batteries to be connected and one at a time will be used and alternated though not properly in parallel as becoming one larger battery with capacity and discharge.
The advantage of paralleling is that two batteries can be used with supply coming from both simultaneously thus reducing stress on the battery cells through discharge. The Schottky route is for lazy bods who can't be bothered to charge batteries to near same voltage to prevent connection damage via large current flows as battery voltages equalise transferring vast amounts of heat along the process. Tbh the Schottky diode is bit of a waste of time because who goes on a long ride or a good ride with a depleted battery.
borisface

Post by borisface »

philg wrote:
2 batteries = 800+w/h for under £2k

£2k!! - I'm expecting delivery of another Hailong type battery next week, 540Wh for £220

That was including the bike!
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I would ask an authorized Bosch dealer or Bosch themselves. The last thing you want to do is void the warranty for a new bike.
The Stilus can also fit a 625 W battery which from experience gives a lot of mileage.
If Bosch has a solution, then you're good with both batteries, if not, carry it as a spare
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike