Difficulty finding right bike for wife

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Capt_Mike

Difficulty finding right bike for wife

Postby Capt_Mike » 28 Jun 2020, 1:17pm

I am having great difficulty finding a suitable elkectric bike for my wife, due to some restrictive criteria that has to be met. My wife is 165cm in height and 75 years of age. The specifications that have to be met are:

Step-through gap to be as wide as possible
Battery NOT to be fitted on rack i.e.to be on the down-tube or seat-tube
Gears to be operated by twist grip.

Can anyone recommend a model that will mneet these requirements

mattsccm

Re: Difficulty finding right bike for wife

Postby mattsccm » 28 Jun 2020, 2:19pm

Might we ask why?
Big generalisation but twist grips tend to be fitted to low end bikes which ebikes don't tend to be. Easy to ask your supplying dealer to swap one over though .

Capt_Mike

Postby Capt_Mike » 28 Jun 2020, 2:40pm

The low-step through is needed due to limited mobility when lifting a leg and the twist changer is a personal preference

Capt_Mike

Postby Capt_Mike » 28 Jun 2020, 2:41pm

And the battery NOT on the rack is to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible for balance reasons.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Jun 2020, 2:46pm

Have you looked at Volt?
My local bike shop sell a lot of them and I’m sure I’ve seen an open frame one with 8 speed nexus with twist grip.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Capt_Mike

Postby Capt_Mike » 28 Jun 2020, 3:40pm

Thank you. I had looked at Volt but discounted them because of the trigger operation for the derailleur. However, I believe that this can be converted to twiat grip, so I'll take another look

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Jun 2020, 3:41pm

Sorry but misread the title. I thought it was asking about the right wife for the bike.
John

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 28 Jun 2020, 4:51pm

Twist grips often give imprecise gear changing. Triggers are more positive and reliable which is why they are fitted to decent bikes.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

stodd

Postby stodd » 28 Jun 2020, 5:31pm

al_yrpal wrote:Twist grips often give imprecise gear changing. Triggers are more positive and reliable which is why they are fitted to decent bikes.
I've never had problems with imprecise twist shift. I prefer it to triggers because I cut my right thumb when little and can't oppose it. I couldn't manage early trigger ones at all except by taking my hand right off the handlebar and pushing. They have improved a lot; I can manage the more recent ones fairly easily but still prefer twist. It might be worth capt_mike's wife checking if she could manage the modern ones, or might even find she prefers them. (or go for the Cube we mentioned in your pedalecs thread).

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 29 Jun 2020, 9:46am

I'm a big chap admittedly but I've had twist shifters shift at inappropriate moments because I've caught them on my hands as I've gone around corners etc which has been quite dangerous. Most of the weight of the rider is on the rear of the bike and if the motor hub is at the back it also adds to traction so I don't see a problem with the battery at the back.

However despite what I've written above it's worth keeping an eye on Argos as they have a good value option here which apart from the battery location suits your criteria and as the battery isn't huge capacity I don't think its too heavy, also the motor is at the front so there is some balancing of weight, although lighter riders may suffer from lack of motor traction in extreme conditions but at other times the 2 wheel drive of the bike can be beneficial for grip;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1254707 ... kes:1:64:1

Stock is erratic though

stodd

Postby stodd » 29 Jun 2020, 9:53am

Bonzo Banana wrote:However despite what I've written above it's worth keeping an eye on Argos as they have a good value option here which apart from the battery location suits your criteria
Even though not a crossbar bike, that one is very far from being a low step. There is a big difference even between a 'real' low step and a low step with the entry inhibited by battery on seat or front tube, but that one is much higher.

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 29 Jun 2020, 10:41am

stodd wrote:
Bonzo Banana wrote:However despite what I've written above it's worth keeping an eye on Argos as they have a good value option here which apart from the battery location suits your criteria
Even though not a crossbar bike, that one is very far from being a low step. There is a big difference even between a 'real' low step and a low step with the entry inhibited by battery on seat or front tube, but that one is much higher.

I'm 6'2" so when I sit on a folding bike like that the saddle post is at close to maximum height with the downtube far below me but i accept that downtube height will vary by rider height.

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Jun 2020, 10:52am

Low steps don't use the down tube battery because it then compromises the design also allows more chance of the battery getting kicked when straddling. The behind the seat option is old hat and bikes then have a LWB
Seems like to many obstacles are in place to find a bike to suit, with ebikes you sometimes have to compromise or adapt them later to suit.

stodd

Postby stodd » 29 Jun 2020, 2:24pm

What's an LWB? Ah, yes long wheel base.

There are quite a few low steps both with batteries on back of the down tube and with them on the front of the seat tube.
As you say they risk kicking the battery; they also reduce the step-through width.
I agree the behind the seat post ones are mainly old style or very basic ones;
but there are some more modern ones (such as the very practical looking Cube we suggested on the Pedalecs thread).
(https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/ ... dium-black)

I think that style is best suited to the original requirements.

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Jun 2020, 7:28pm

Only problem with mid drive branded motors is they then no longer become ultra low step.

The new Wayfarer has integrated down tube battery, choose between rear hub or mid/centre drive. If you talk to David Miall it might even be possible to use twist shifters instead of thumb triggers at the point of custom build for your needs as each bike is built to custom.
https://wisperbikes.com/wisper-works-eroad-bikes-2/