Difficulty finding right bike for wife

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
stodd

Re: Difficulty finding right bike for wife

Postby stodd » 29 Jun 2020, 8:34pm

It looks to me as if the Cube and the Wipser low steps are both just above the axle height, but that the Cube has a longer low section. That can be important because a short low-step section can need an uncomfortable twist of the foot. Difficult to tell from pictures. It was one thing we noticed on test rides before we bought our 2nd hand 2016 Motus, which is excellent that way.

Wisper are certainly really good bikes with excellent customer service, and probably more standard parts if anything does go wrong. (The Bosch on the Cube are reliable but slow and expensive if any fixing is needed.) I'm always wary of builtin batteries: they might be difficult to replace in a few years time if anything happens to the supplier, though they can still probably be recelled. Probably a personal phobia. People are already reporting issues with Gtech battery replacement on bicycles only 5 years old, and Gtech haven't even gone to the wall, just given up supporting their customers. I don't expect there would be similar issues with Wisper.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Jun 2020, 9:04pm

Have you thought about having something built to your exact specification?

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Jun 2020, 10:41pm

The Wisper although integrated with fit is removable, there batteries are good and last many years, eight isn't unheard of.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 30 Jun 2020, 6:56pm

Many older people suffer from arthritis in their thumb joints. Me for one and my rapid fire changer on my E bike is uncomfortable to operate.
I really don't get the prejudice some have against grip shift.
For years, I rode a twenty four speed Claud Butler Hybrid through a triple chain wheel and fitted with anatomic handle bars and Sram grip shifters. I never had a single problem with them.They are relatively inexpensive and easy to fit with new inner cables. Off course, they might be a bit difficult to use with ordinary straights, but with anatomic bars, they were a breeze.
My sort were the short stubby type, not the full length hand grip and were fitted outboard of the brake levers.
I'd even go back to this arrangement on my Whyte Coniston which has wide mountain bike straights.