Advice on Trikes / Recumbant

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
drobinson

Advice on Trikes / Recumbant

Postby drobinson » 29 Jun 2020, 11:48am

Hi I would like to buy an Electric Trike or Recumbent Bike. I have Parkinsons disease and am conscious of sometimes being unsteady on a Bike, It would be sensible to consider switching to an Electric assist three wheeler. I need something that will cope with some very steep hills here in Devon near Totnes therefore the the level of electric assist is important. Ideally it would have a range of say twenty to thirty miles but less may do. A second battery would be an option. My research so far suggests a chain drive, not a wheel drive, would be better on steep hills but I may be wrong. Has anybody got experience of three wheelers Thank you

Jdsk

Re: Advice on Trikes / Recumbant

Postby Jdsk » 29 Jun 2020, 12:05pm

I have a leg-powered unassisted Windcheetah that might end up with a motor in a few years time.

But I'd start by having a look at ICE's range and then talking to them directly.
https://www.icetrikes.co

Jonathan

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Jun 2020, 7:19pm

Bit of myth that CD motors are better then hubs for hills, the only time might be for proper off road use.
Any hub with the right low rpm winding will be a match or better then a CD motor as the torque at lower speed is far better.

A cd drive torque output/Nm is measured at the chain wheel by the time the drive has transferred to the wheel it looses about 50% Nm, a hubs torque Nm is already at the wheel it loses no Nm.
A typical 40Nm rated hub is about the same as a Bosch CX drive.

Several years ago the ebike hill climbing WC use to be held in Bristol and a hub bike beat the CD drives year in year out.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 29 Jun 2020, 7:38pm

hemo wrote:A cd drive torque output/Nm is measured at the chain wheel by the time the drive has transferred to the wheel it looses about 50% Nm, a hubs torque Nm is already at the wheel it loses no Nm.

Why is the power loss when driven by a motor so much greater than when driven by a human?

Thanks

Jonathan

Lodge

Postby Lodge » 29 Jun 2020, 8:11pm

My wife and I both have e-trikes - hers a Hase Kettwiesel, mine an ICE Sprint. Both are Shimano STEPS powered. We like having the crank drive as we can get a wide range of torque multiplication via our internal geared hubs.

We live close to the Peak District so all local trips involve much climbing. The 10 mile each way trip to our local town Leek requires nearly 2000 feet in ascent. Similar to South Devon (we have relatives in Yealmpton so know there are loads of hills down that way).

The Kettwiesel is the heaviest at 35 kg and my nearest and dearest the heavier person. It has a 400 Wh battery and can get into town and back without running out even on its turbo setting. The Sprint has a 500 Wh battery and can do around 30 miles with 3000 feet of climbing before running out (whereupon it becomes very heavy to cycle - how do I know...). We both have second batteries for when we're touring (it really was no fun running out).

In the past we used to have a Hase Pino semi-recumbent tandem with hub motor in the front wheel. That also pulled well but you could feel that it was optimised for 5-6 mph. The torque eased off as it went over 10 mph even though the limiter didn't cut in until 15.5 mph.

So, it depends what you want. Both hub and crank drives work but each has its pros and cons.

Also, don't forget that if you want to go on a steep gravel track that a tadpole trike (e.g. ICE) can easily lose traction with only one wheel drive. The delta (Hase) with two wheel drive is much better in that regard. Deltas also tend to be easier to get on and off - potentially useful for those with disabilities.

Tilley

Postby Tilley » 29 Jun 2020, 8:12pm

Contact Tom at freetrike rehab cycling UK. He can offer advice about trikes and set up a demonstration ride.