e-scooters

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16042
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: e-scooters

Postby mjr » 27 Jul 2020, 11:51am

cyclingfrogs wrote:Roger Geffen's article on e-scooters

What's that, then?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14161
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: e-scooters

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jul 2020, 11:52am

In the Gazette?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16042
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: e-bikes safety

Postby mjr » 27 Jul 2020, 11:53am

cyclingfrogs wrote:After all, research has shown that in 80-90% of collisions between pedestrians and vehicles, the pedestrians are to blame.

What research is that?

And given the absolute duty of vehicle users to drive/ride so they can stop within what they can see to be clear (and not only within what is not occupied), I expect most of those are shared blame with the vehicle user, unless the researcher is biased.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

rfryer
Posts: 754
Joined: 7 Feb 2013, 3:58pm

Re: e-scooters

Postby rfryer » 27 Jul 2020, 12:55pm

stodd wrote:I think we would agree that whatever else, they should be banned on pavements (or maybe limited to 2.5mph or 5m distancing from nearest pedestrian) with immediate confiscation where that is broken.

I used one of the hire ones in Singapore. It was a great way to get around, but gutless on uphill slopes, and I would not have wanted to stray off the pavement and onto the road with those small wheels and limited acceleration.

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: e-scooters

Postby kwackers » 27 Jul 2020, 1:55pm

stodd wrote:I think we would agree that whatever else, they should be banned on pavements (or maybe limited to 2.5mph or 5m distancing from nearest pedestrian) with immediate confiscation where that is broken.

They should be exactly the same as bicycles. No more, no less.

mercalia
Posts: 14000
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: e-scooters

Postby mercalia » 16 Sep 2020, 11:46am

seems like Coventry has suspended their legal escooter trial due to selfish users

Capture.JPG
click to enlarge

Jdsk
Posts: 2224
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: e-scooters

Postby Jdsk » 16 Sep 2020, 11:55am

Statement from Coventry City Council:
https://www.coventry.gov.uk/news/article/3493/coventry_e-scooter_trial_paused

“We look forward to resuming the service with enhanced measures in place to address the early observations from the trial”.

Jonathan

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7004
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: e-scooters

Postby Tangled Metal » 16 Sep 2020, 1:34pm

There's a lot more e scooters round here lately. A mix of road, mixed use and pedestrian only paths. After work yesterday when cars and bikes all had lights on I saw the e scooters only had a single, low power red rear light that's so low down as to be missed at times.

I do hope manufacturers start making them more visible before they get fully accepted as personal transportation. Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16042
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: e-scooters

Postby mjr » 16 Sep 2020, 2:15pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?

No, but a red led could surely be stuck on the top back of a bendy whip antenna about a foot long and would suffice.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Jdsk
Posts: 2224
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: e-scooters

Postby Jdsk » 16 Sep 2020, 2:20pm

mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?

No, but a red led could surely be stuck on the top back of a bendy whip antenna about a foot long and would suffice.

Yes, LEDs can be very bright, and they can flash.

But they could also be on the rider and therefore much higher up.

Shirley

PS: I wish I knew what they were measuring in the trials...

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16042
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: e-scooters

Postby mjr » 16 Sep 2020, 5:18pm

Jdsk wrote:PS: I wish I knew what they were measuring in the trials...

How incomprehensible they can make the regulations? How much they can make people hate e-scooters to preserve the fossil fuel tax income? Who knows?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7004
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: e-scooters

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 Sep 2020, 7:02am

Jdsk wrote:
mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?

No, but a red led could surely be stuck on the top back of a bendy whip antenna about a foot long and would suffice.

Yes, LEDs can be very bright, and they can flash.

But they could also be on the rider and therefore much higher up.

Shirley

PS: I wish I knew what they were measuring in the trials...

They can be but from what I've seen round here the manufacturers haven't made any effort to use visible lighting on their e scooters. Will tbe trials insist on only the e scooters with lighting sufficient to aid visibility to be part of the scheme? I doubt it very much, but it might direct manufacturers towards safer lighting designs.

I like the bendy, whip antenna light idea. Although it might give vandals something to bend like car aerial of old.