e-scooters

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mjr

Re: e-scooters

Post by mjr »

cyclingfrogs wrote:Roger Geffen's article on e-scooters

What's that, then?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In the Gazette?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Re: e-bikes safety

Post by mjr »

cyclingfrogs wrote:After all, research has shown that in 80-90% of collisions between pedestrians and vehicles, the pedestrians are to blame.

What research is that?

And given the absolute duty of vehicle users to drive/ride so they can stop within what they can see to be clear (and not only within what is not occupied), I expect most of those are shared blame with the vehicle user, unless the researcher is biased.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

stodd wrote:I think we would agree that whatever else, they should be banned on pavements (or maybe limited to 2.5mph or 5m distancing from nearest pedestrian) with immediate confiscation where that is broken.

I used one of the hire ones in Singapore. It was a great way to get around, but gutless on uphill slopes, and I would not have wanted to stray off the pavement and onto the road with those small wheels and limited acceleration.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

stodd wrote:I think we would agree that whatever else, they should be banned on pavements (or maybe limited to 2.5mph or 5m distancing from nearest pedestrian) with immediate confiscation where that is broken.

They should be exactly the same as bicycles. No more, no less.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like Coventry has suspended their legal escooter trial due to selfish users

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Statement from Coventry City Council:
https://www.coventry.gov.uk/news/article/3493/coventry_e-scooter_trial_paused

“We look forward to resuming the service with enhanced measures in place to address the early observations from the trial”.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a lot more e scooters round here lately. A mix of road, mixed use and pedestrian only paths. After work yesterday when cars and bikes all had lights on I saw the e scooters only had a single, low power red rear light that's so low down as to be missed at times.

I do hope manufacturers start making them more visible before they get fully accepted as personal transportation. Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?

No, but a red led could surely be stuck on the top back of a bendy whip antenna about a foot long and would suffice.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Although where could you put a rear light that would meet current regulations for cyclists for example. Low down on a mudguard for a small wheel isn't good enough, surely?

No, but a red led could surely be stuck on the top back of a bendy whip antenna about a foot long and would suffice.

Yes, LEDs can be very bright, and they can flash.

But they could also be on the rider and therefore much higher up.

Shirley

PS: I wish I knew what they were measuring in the trials...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote:PS: I wish I knew what they were measuring in the trials...

How incomprehensible they can make the regulations? How much they can make people hate e-scooters to preserve the fossil fuel tax income? Who knows?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote:
mjr wrote:

Yes, LEDs can be very bright, and they can flash.

But they could also be on the rider and therefore much higher up.

Shirley

PS: I wish I knew what they were measuring in the trials...

They can be but from what I've seen round here the manufacturers haven't made any effort to use visible lighting on their e scooters. Will tbe trials insist on only the e scooters with lighting sufficient to aid visibility to be part of the scheme? I doubt it very much, but it might direct manufacturers towards safer lighting designs.

I like the bendy, whip antenna light idea. Although it might give vandals something to bend like car aerial of old.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

An interesting article of increasing accidents with escooters from the Daily Mail ( so readers who have agressive ad blockers dont bother)

E-scooters are responsible for a growing number of serious injuries to both riders and pedestrians brought into the Royal London Hospital, where I work. We've already treated one rider who will suffer brain damage for the rest of his life and, sadly, at least one person has already been killed. (Television presenter Emily Hartridge)

CHRISTOPHER UFF head of neurosurgery at the busiest major trauma centre in the UK

These machines are new and are largely untested in busy urban environments. Perhaps because they seem like a toy, they are often ridden with a reckless disregard for safety. The consequences are all too serious.

in particular some rather bad storys ( from London)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8751609/Were-treating-casualties-electric-scooters-says-neurosurgeon-CHRISTOPHER-UFF.html

(me: In my street there were a couple of kids riding up and down the road who had one. The road though narrow,cars parked on both sides, is the only road to get from West Norwood to by pass Streatham so is very busy. I suspect much of the problem is they are being driven by people who are noobies - they dont ride bikes or drive cars or motor bikes so have little road sense)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A guy has one at work. He used to ride in on an MTB and rides trail bike too. 37mph it can go up to. It's fast that's for sure. He hops on and off at pace. He's the quickest person off the industrial estate at 5pm when everywhere shuts for the day.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:A guy has one at work. He used to ride in on an MTB and rides trail bike too. 37mph it can go up to. It's fast that's for sure. He hops on and off at pace. He's the quickest person off the industrial estate at 5pm when everywhere shuts for the day.

yesterday on a short trip thru Londons many cycles paths I stopped at a park nr Rotherhithe & this young guy/late teens sped thru at speed ( 20mph+) on one of the pseudo small electric m/c not caring that there were people out for a sunday stroll with kids ( he was past me in a flash). what can your do with idiots like that? put them down maybe?