Electric power points for e-vehicles

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Post by Jdsk »

New initiative from the Competition and Markets Authority:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-to-examine-electric-vehicle-charging-sector
includes:

The CMA’s work will centre on 2 broad themes:
how to develop a competitive sector while also attracting private investment to help the sector grow
how to ensure people using electric vehicle chargepoints have confidence that they can get the best out of the service

That's probably a good idea. But it still needs consistent messages on taxes and subsidies.

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:New initiative from the Competition and Markets Authority:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-to-examine-electric-vehicle-charging-sector
includes:

The CMA’s work will centre on 2 broad themes:
how to develop a competitive sector while also attracting private investment to help the sector grow
how to ensure people using electric vehicle chargepoints have confidence that they can get the best out of the service

That's probably a good idea. But it still needs consistent messages on taxes and subsidies.

Jonathan

And fines for vehicles "icing" the sockets. (Or EV's not charging)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Gridserve:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/07/uk-first-all-electric-car-charging-forecourt-opens-in-essex

"The forecourts will offer super-fast wifi, and stand alongside a range of “Best of British” shops including WH Smith and Boots as well as Costa Coffee and the Post Office. Some will offer business meeting pods, a children’s play centre and a “wellbeing area” with exercise bikes that generate electricity."

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Brexit funding will dry up soon.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've read something in the last couple of days - probably Sunday Telegraph business section - about a proposed chain of electric "filling" stations which would have dynamo-equipped exercise bikes so that customers could contribute to the juice. I didn't look closely but it didn't seem to be a spoof. I imagine the exercise benefits to the pedaller would be greater than the discount of their bill.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:I've read something in the last couple of days - probably Sunday Telegraph business section - about a proposed chain of electric "filling" stations which would have dynamo-equipped exercise bikes so that customers could contribute to the juice. I didn't look closely but it didn't seem to be a spoof. I imagine the exercise benefits to the pedaller would be greater than the discount of their bill.

Just a bit...

Typical efficiency of EV's is 4 miles per kwh.
An hours cycling by a moderately fit cyclist is probable around 200w (I'd guess half that by an average person who can actually manage to peddle one for an hour).
It'll get you on and off the forecourt providing you're fairly light with the accelerator.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:I've read something in the last couple of days - probably Sunday Telegraph business section - about a proposed chain of electric "filling" stations which would have dynamo-equipped exercise bikes so that customers could contribute to the juice. I didn't look closely but it didn't seem to be a spoof.

Possibly the Gridserve system as linked in a couple of posts just above?

: - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:It'll get you on and off the forecourt providing you're fairly light with the accelerator.

How about the contribution of solar panels in the forecourt canopy to the energy delivered to the EVs below?

But that fraction doesn't really bother me... we're still at a stage where illustrating what's possible matters.

Jonathan

PS: It's interesting to see Booths joining in so far south...
sjs

Post by sjs »

kwackers wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I've read something in the last couple of days - probably Sunday Telegraph business section - about a proposed chain of electric "filling" stations which would have dynamo-equipped exercise bikes so that customers could contribute to the juice. I didn't look closely but it didn't seem to be a spoof. I imagine the exercise benefits to the pedaller would be greater than the discount of their bill.

Just a bit...

Typical efficiency of EV's is 4 miles per kwh.
An hours cycling by a moderately fit cyclist is probable around 200w (I'd guess half that by an average person who can actually manage to peddle one for an hour).
It'll get you on and off the forecourt providing you're fairly light with the accelerator.

Yes, perhaps charging at a rate of 1 mile range per hour of fairly high-level exercise. Still, not bad compared with actual cycling, given the mass ratio car:person+bike.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:
kwackers wrote:It'll get you on and off the forecourt providing you're fairly light with the accelerator.

How about the contribution of solar panels in the forecourt canopy to the energy delivered to the EVs below?

But that fraction doesn't really bother me... we're still at a stage where illustrating what's possible matters.

Jonathan

PS: It's interesting to see Booths joining in so far south...

Those solar panels do contribute, not sure you watched the whole of the video (assuming it's the same as the one I posted on another thread) but there's also a field full of panels that provide energy for the forecourt.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, I was requesting the analogous calculation!

Jonathan
Jdsk

Electrtric power points for e-vehicles

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Rivian for Amazon,100,000 ordered.
https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/1298/amazon-rivian-vans-online-retailers-100000-strong-order-track

Arrival for UPS, 10,000 ordered in the UK, produced in the UK.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... rt-arrival

Amazon has ordered 600 Mercedes-Benz eVitos and 1,000 eSprinters.
https://electrek.co/2020/08/28/amazon-orders-electric-vans-from-mercedes-benz/

Rivian vans enter service in Los Angeles:
https://electrek.co/2021/02/03/amazon-rivian-electric-van-customer-deliveries/

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:Typical efficiency of EV's is 4 miles per kwh.
An hours cycling by a moderately fit cyclist is probable around 200w

So if a moderately fit cyclist does 12mph average, does that mean a cyclist does 16 2/3 W/mi and an EV does 250 W/mi?

So an ebike may be 20W/mi due to the extra weight but probably a higher average speed? I suspect an e-recumbent may be the optimal efficiency, with the motor overcoming the notorious disadvantage on hills.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Don't you want a measure of energy rather than power per mile?

mjr wrote:I suspect an e-recumbent may be the optimal efficiency, with the motor overcoming the notorious disadvantage on hills.

There was a fascinating article suggesting precisely this in one of the HPV journals in the 1980s.

Jonathan