Electric power points for e-vehicles

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
sjs
Posts: 931
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: electrtric power points for e-vehicles

Postby sjs » 21 Aug 2020, 12:14pm

hjd10 wrote:Do you have yours on a pcp? I know a couple of people who drive Tesla’s and they both have a pcp. My problem is by the time the car is in my price bracket it will be 2nd hand and I can only imagine her expense that would be incurred if there is an issue. As the tech moves on the reliability will increase with costs coming down. ICE cars are on their way out as we know, I just can’t justify paying a pcp that’s more than my mortgage.


No, it's a company vehicle. The zero BIK rate for EVs makes it a pretty good choice in my case. I do agree it would be unlikely I'd actually buy one.

sjs
Posts: 931
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: electrtric power points for e-vehicles

Postby sjs » 21 Aug 2020, 12:20pm

Jdsk wrote:
kwackers wrote:It's going to get very interesting when the ID3 arrives I think...

Agreed.

And the ID.4 has just started production.
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... ickau-6299

Jonathan


Having had a Sharan for a few years and bitter experience of VW main dealers and diesel Sharans' dodgy dual-mass flywheels, plus the emissions cheating episode, I have a bit of a prejudice against VW and all its works.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby Mick F » 21 Aug 2020, 1:17pm

kwackers wrote:
Mick F wrote:I'm not a betting man, but if I were to put odds on that the car will mist up this morning, it would be 1000s to One against.

My point is that you rely on the A/C to dry the air.
willcee is claiming that only faulty cars steam up.

Prior to A/C, especially back in the early days with small cabins and vertical windscreens in front of your face, steaming up was a given most mornings.
These days I think it takes a special sort of day to start to steam up before the A/C can work.
I still agree with Willcee. If a car mists up, there's a leak.

Our car is indeed mist free 24/7 ........ as it was today ............. as all our last cars have been since our Mini days ................. aircon or not.

Had a Peugeot 205 for ten years - no aircon - and that NEVER misted up like you're suggesting.
Similarly, the car before that - Talbot Horizon (Car of the Year 1980) - had that for six years - no aircon - never misted up.
Prior to that we had a Talbot Samba (1981) for a couple of years which was mist free with no aircon.

So, Kwackers, both Willcee and I agree with each other, and you are wrong ............ but maybe correct for some cars, but certainly not all.
Mick F. Cornwall

hjd10
Posts: 294
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 9:43pm
Location: Originally from Lancashire but now in Lincolnshire

Re: electrtric power points for e-vehicles

Postby hjd10 » 21 Aug 2020, 1:28pm

sjs wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
kwackers wrote:It's going to get very interesting when the ID3 arrives I think...

Agreed.

And the ID.4 has just started production.
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... ickau-6299

Jonathan


Having had a Sharan for a few years and bitter experience of VW main dealers and diesel Sharans' dodgy dual-mass flywheels, plus the emissions cheating episode, I have a bit of a prejudice against VW and all its works.


It’s interesting with the diesel issues over the last few years. In the states VW were made to provide compensation or buy back cars, they tried to argue that class actions were not valid against VW... How many people from European countries have been compensated/had their cars bought back.

kwackers
Posts: 15248
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby kwackers » 21 Aug 2020, 2:10pm

Mick F wrote:So, Kwackers, both Willcee and I agree with each other, and you are wrong ............ but maybe correct for some cars, but certainly not all.

No, I'm not wrong.

If you allow moist air into the car and the car is cold you get condensation.
It's impossible to prevent.

Some things make it more or less likely but it's always a possibility.

OTOH a wet interior doesn't load the interior with moisture unless the inside of the car is warm.
Turn the heating on and get condensation when the car warms up then there's a leak but otherwise...

rfryer
Posts: 776
Joined: 7 Feb 2013, 3:58pm

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby rfryer » 21 Aug 2020, 2:14pm

Mick F wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Mick F wrote:I'm not a betting man, but if I were to put odds on that the car will mist up this morning, it would be 1000s to One against.

My point is that you rely on the A/C to dry the air.
willcee is claiming that only faulty cars steam up.

Prior to A/C, especially back in the early days with small cabins and vertical windscreens in front of your face, steaming up was a given most mornings.
These days I think it takes a special sort of day to start to steam up before the A/C can work.
I still agree with Willcee. If a car mists up, there's a leak.

Our car is indeed mist free 24/7 ........ as it was today ............. as all our last cars have been since our Mini days ................. aircon or not.

Had a Peugeot 205 for ten years - no aircon - and that NEVER misted up like you're suggesting.
Similarly, the car before that - Talbot Horizon (Car of the Year 1980) - had that for six years - no aircon - never misted up.
Prior to that we had a Talbot Samba (1981) for a couple of years which was mist free with no aircon.

So, Kwackers, both Willcee and I agree with each other, and you are wrong ............ but maybe correct for some cars, but certainly not all.

I'm curious, is there any correlation between when cars stopped misting up, and when you moved from Scotland to Cornwall? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby Mick F » 21 Aug 2020, 3:50pm

No, no correlation at all.

Talbot Samba bought in Plymouth spring 1981 and in the autumn moved to Helensburgh.
Two or so years later, we swapped it for the Horizon ......... bought in Glasgow and by then living in Balloch.

Whilst at Balloch, we bought a Mini Van from Gallowgate Auctions for the princely sum of £90 as a second car. Had that for six months or so after my fixing it up and repairing the rear doors, and sold it for £350! :D
Misted up like heck, every flippin' morning.

Meanwhile, the Horizon was dry and clear.
Moved to Plymouth a few years later with the Horizon and it was still clear.

Letting damp air into a cold car will ONLY mist up if you leave the doors/windows open. Getting in and sitting down and closing the door does nothing, and never has .............. unless you have a car with poorly fitted doors, windows and seals ............... Austin/Morris/BL/Rover Minis it's normal for them to mist up. :lol:

Previous cars were very secondhand old Rootes Group. Humber Sceptre, Hillman Hunter, and two Hillman Imps. Lived in Rosyth (over the Forth from Edinburgh) back then with those. They didn't mist up either.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby Mick F » 21 Aug 2020, 4:01pm

Sorry, tell a lie!

We moved to Plymouth in 1980 with the Hunter and an Imp. Me and one daughter in the Hunter, and Mrs Mick F in the Imp with the other daughter. Left Rosyth and stayed overnight in Lancashire at Mother-in-Law's.
Following day, carried on south.

Imp broke down as the water pump had backed up.
January 1980 and on the M5.
The car's heater has stopped heating somewhere on the way south and it was freezing. The car started misting up from breath and normal body moisture.

Finally had to stop as engine was overheating and I towed the car off the motorway with Mrs Mick F steering and braking and we pulled into Taunton Dean Services M5 ........... but that's another story entirely how we got the Imp to Plymouth! :D

The fact is, that the Imp misted up whilst driving it ................. due to a defect, not by design.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank
Posts: 30544
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Aug 2020, 4:03pm

I'm unclear what's being discussed here. Is the idea of car windows misting up misinformation by the vendors of heated rear windows and windscreens as part of a cunning plan to sell more?

millimole
Posts: 655
Joined: 18 Feb 2007, 5:41pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby millimole » 21 Aug 2020, 8:46pm

Gangzoom wrote:Am not entirely sure the relevance of EV public charging points to eBikes? But I've been driving EVs since 2015, and currently have owned our Model X for 3.5 years doing 46k.

We been to France, Scotland, regularly do Leicester to Cardiff/London in it all without issues. Its also one of only a few EVs rated for a tow car, which comes in very handy as a cyclists:).

And as far as I'm concerned is one of the biggest barriers to my owning an electric car - the difficulty of carrying a bike outside the car.
As you say few are homologated in the UK for towbars. Many can't carry bikes on the roof (not that I can get one up there any more) or on a rear carrier (which I don't trust).
This is how I ended up with a Toyota hybrid.

kwackers
Posts: 15248
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby kwackers » 22 Aug 2020, 9:44am

thirdcrank wrote:I'm unclear what's being discussed here. Is the idea of car windows misting up misinformation by the vendors of heated rear windows and windscreens as part of a cunning plan to sell more?

Apparently car windows don't mist up unless the car is faulty.

So the "demist" button my car has was added by the manufacturer just in case the car develops a fault.
As where the heated screens, the vents that can direct to the windscreen and even the sections in the manual about demisting the windows.

We've all been misled, moist air from the outside cannot under any circumstances end up on the inside and if it does then it can't condense on the cold windows.
I'm guessing when you're cycling along a line of traffic on a cold dank winters morning and admiring the idiots wiping little circles on their windows to peer through that their cars haven't actually steamed up...

(As an aside because they don't need the engine running a lot of EV's will let you warm/cool the cabin from an app on your phone without actually leaving the house)

sjs
Posts: 931
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby sjs » 22 Aug 2020, 10:11am

I had to use the rear window heater in my Tesla the other day, when I managed to find the button among the menus on the touch screen. I suppose it must be faulty.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby Mick F » 22 Aug 2020, 10:15am

Heated rear windows on most of our cars is to melt the frost on the outside.
Ditto the front "demist' function.

.......... except for our Minis.
Mick F. Cornwall

Jdsk
Posts: 5228
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby Jdsk » 22 Aug 2020, 11:27am

Mick F wrote:Heated rear windows on most of our cars is to melt the frost on the outside.
Ditto the front "demist' function.

.......... except for our Minis.

What does that "is" mean... that's why it's fitted, that's the only purpose for which you think it should be used... ?

I use mine much more often to demist than to defrost.

Jonathan

PS: Some Teslas now use heat pumps.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Electric power points for e-vehicles

Postby Mick F » 22 Aug 2020, 3:17pm

Argument here? :lol:

Not needed to demist the windows internally, front or year for decades.
Nothing to do with aircon, or where we live or anything.
Always lived in the (wet and damp) west of UK since forever, and only in East Scotland for six years 1974-1980.

Older cars, like wot our dad had, or all the Minis I owned, or even the Triumph Herald, always need a demister be it a heated rear window or the blower onto the front window due to defective seals and poor design.

If there's dampness internally with a modern car, it must have been brought in.

Let's say it's chucking it down and you're soaking wet through, when you get back to your car after walking.
The car is dry as a bone - like it should be.
It's cold and wet outside, and the car is cold and the windows are cold.
Maybe the windows will steam up then?

Personally, in all my years since driving since the olden days, that situation has never arrived.
Every time we come out of the house to drive - even if it's chucking it down and cold too, it's seconds before we're into the car and the doors closed.

Never ever been out for ages and soaking wet and cold, and got back into a freezing cold car.
Mick F. Cornwall