Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 Race Disc E-Bike 2019

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
mattgod69

Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 Race Disc E-Bike 2019

Postby mattgod69 » 19 Aug 2020, 6:29am

I have a Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 Race Disc E-Bike 2019 bike. I have very happy with the bike and with his performance.

The bike has the Fazua Evation motor system and I have recently noticed a knocking noise coming from the pedal, particularly when I'm applying pressure. A friend of mine has a similar electric bike (it is a different manufacturer and bike but exactly the same electrical system) and had same problem almost immediately after purchase. This was sorted out by the supplying dealer. I have had mine for around seven months.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do think it should be something that is fixed under warranty? It is my understanding that it needs to crank tightened up where the bearings have bedded in... but this is not a small job (1 hour or so).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Matt

richtea99

Re: Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 Race Disc E-Bike 2019

Postby richtea99 » 19 Aug 2020, 3:21pm

Hello Matt, my guess is that the bottom bracket unit has come slightly loose, which happened to mine (Boardman, not Cube). That would be the first thing to check.
There are 4 bolts holding the bottom bracket assembly to the frame - 2 on each side (see pic). These are normally Torx bolts (star-shaped).

You need a Torx key / socket set - like an allen key but with the star-shaped end. About £7-8 off Amazon or similar for a set.
You want a set with size T30 in it.

If any are loose, tighten them and your problem will go away. Better still, use some locktite, and they'll not need tightening again.
It takes 3 minutes, not an hour (for this particular fix).

Word of warning:
If you overtighten the bolts, you can do damage because the steel Torx bolt is screwing into softer aluminium alloy.
If you can find the torque value to use when tightening those specific bolts (from Fazua or Cube), then use a torque wrench to do them up. If not, you have to do them up with feel. If you have a friendly mechanic, they should have a torque wrench.
Image Attachments
torx.jpg
torx bolts on fazua BB

Gangzoom

Re: Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 Race Disc E-Bike 2019

Postby Gangzoom » 21 Aug 2020, 6:06am

It might not be just the bolts, I just got my Boardman Fauza hybrid back from Halfords for noise on pedaling around the crank. Turns out the clutch/crank mechanism was faulty, they replaced the entire crank/BB unit!!

It appears the motor hasn't been able to engage properly since new, and at most I've only been getting 50% motor performance - bought in Feb 2020. A quick ride yesterday post fix felt like a different bike on Rocket mode!!

I would say don't DIY it, if you strip a bolt you could invalidate the warranty. Get it back to the shop for them to check it.