Petition to increase the 25kmh limit on electric bikes in the UK.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
hamish

Re: Petition to increase the 25kmh limit on electric bikes in the UK.

Postby hamish » 14 Nov 2020, 11:27pm

Herts Audax wrote:What you are describing is a moped and there’s are already laws governing them.

I guess so. I have no idea of the detail of these laws so I don't know if they are fit for purpose. I guess they may be orientated towards heavy helmets and big license plates so there may be room for a Dutch style middle ground fast ebike category. It's outside my area of interest though.

Simon1980

Postby Simon1980 » 28 Dec 2020, 5:35pm

I think 15 mph is fast enough, I had to learn to process things quicker when I got my ebike. It would be nice to be able to go faster but I can see a lot of accidents happening.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 28 Dec 2020, 7:19pm

Madness. Increasing speed means more danger, for me on my fixie too

Could they not be restricted to starting and climbing, assistance could cut off at 15 kmh max?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 30 Dec 2020, 8:23pm

IWhats the issue.The police will not bother monitoring the speeds attained-they do little about cars which can be identified.If the speed limit is increased by the state they will rightly demand
A tax
B insurance
C a test
D registration plate
These measures would be excellent.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 30 Dec 2020, 8:42pm

Now 4,687 signatories in 11 months.

Jonathan

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 31 Dec 2020, 2:56pm

Jdsk wrote:Now 4,687 signatories in 11 months.

Jonathan

Yep, the only people who actually care are on here.
Anyone who wants to go faster already is, they can't be bothered with daft petitions.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2020, 3:00pm

kwackers

Looking at this down the other end of the spyglass, would you favour any restrictions at all on electric bikes? (Sorry if you have mentioned this before.)

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 31 Dec 2020, 3:18pm

thirdcrank wrote:kwackers

Looking at this down the other end of the spyglass, would you favour any restrictions at all on electric bikes? (Sorry if you have mentioned this before.)

I've made my position fairly clear on several occasions.

Based on my experience of using one to commute for a couple of years (until an ex-copper knocked me off it and Cheshire police closed ranks around her).

My view is the 15mph limit should be completely removed and the 250w limit left in place which means the speed is like the speed on most other things and limited by available power.
Realistically this means the bikes *might* on a good day hit 20mph but more importantly they don't hit a brick wall when you try to accelerate past something, i.e. they're predictable.
I also think a throttle should be legal on all of them rather than just the old ones, i.e. you shouldn't be forced to peddle to make them go - it's pointless anyway all it really means is you need to turn the peddles with your feet, no need to press, no need to match the bikes speed. Just idly spin them.

For the class above those I think they should dispense with registration, licensing and MOT's (I'm happy to keep the insurance requirement though).
As they stand if you're at the point where you can legally ride one then you'd be better off with a proper motorbike.

I also think allowing sub 30mph quadricycles to be used on limited licenses would be a good thing.

Overall though it's the 250w version and the two changes I'd like to see that interest me.
They're based on over 20,000 miles of experience using one for commuting.

The rest is more about my belief we need to get people out of cars and to do so requires realistic alternatives otherwise why not just "car"?

swscotland bentrider

Postby swscotland bentrider » 31 Dec 2020, 3:29pm

Well I won't be signing. There is already provision for electric vehicles to exceed the 25kmh limit as others have said. They are called motor cycles, with all the legal and insurance requirements associated with motor vehicles.

There are other unlooked for consequences. You would increasingly be seen as other than a cyclist. You may lose your welcome in lots of places / organisations. End up homeless unloved and unwanted!! :(

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 31 Dec 2020, 3:35pm

swscotland bentrider wrote:There are other unlooked for consequences. You would increasingly be seen as other than a cyclist. You may lose your welcome in lots of places / organisations. End up homeless unloved and unwanted!! :(

Not being seen as a cyclist sounds like a benefit to me.

TBH the biggest benefit to cyclists is the fact that there are faster bicycle shaped objects around.
One of the biggest reasons for near misses for me is car drivers underestimating my speed. If they can no longer assume every cyclists is travelling at granny speeds that's got to be a plus.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 Dec 2020, 3:35pm

Does the petition allow one to vote against?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 31 Dec 2020, 3:39pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does the petition allow one to vote against?

No. These national petitions never do.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333

https://petition.parliament.uk

Jonathan

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 31 Dec 2020, 3:39pm

No, but feel free to create one and we can have a look in a years time to see how many folk could be bothered signing it.

(If you actually care enough to be bothered creating one that is but you seem to feel very strongly so I've no doubt you'll be all over it and we can expect a link in short order).

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2020, 3:54pm

kwackers

Thanks for the reply about restrictions.

More generally on e-petitions I think most people realise they are futile. As I must have posted before, they were introduced (by Gordo?) as a bit of a safety valve which occasionally alerts the government to a significant trend in public opinion. Whether they attract signatures or not doesn't really say much about popular thinking. It's my impression and nothing more that there's huge hostility to them - not unlike the hostility towards cyclists.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 Dec 2020, 3:58pm

kwackers wrote:

No, but feel free to create one and we can have a look in a years time to see how many folk could be bothered signing it.

(If you actually care enough to be bothered creating one that is but you seem to feel very strongly so I've no doubt you'll be all over it and we can expect a link in short order).

Quite likely nothing shall happen anyway, minusplus