Shimano Steps E6000 battery fail - is it a fuse?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mr_mark_sid

Shimano Steps E6000 battery fail - is it a fuse?

Post by mr_mark_sid »

Dear Forum members,

I just had an E6000 fail on me after 5000 miles (2-years old). Here are a few diagnostics:

1. The failed battery charges both mounted on the bike and off the bike fine (or at least the charging lights indicate that this is the case).

2. The charge lights on the side of the battery show it is fully charged.

3. The bike works fine with my back up battery but the bike will not start with the failed battery.

4. The battery did not fail on the bike. It was sat off the bike for 6 weeks or so unused during lockdown and when I tried to use it, it would not start.

5. After the battery failure and when using the back up I realised that there was a short circuit in the wire to the front light....

6. I have cleaned the contacts on the battery.

My only current throught is that point 5 may have fused the battery. So two questions:

1. What might be the problem and resolution?
2. If you agree on the fuse, how can I resolve that?

Thank you very much!

Mark
hemo

Re: Shimano Steps E6000 battery fail - is it a fuse?

Post by hemo »

May be the battery is in sleep mode ?
One can try long pressing the on switch for 10- 30 seconds.
An internal fuse may be possibly blown if fitted, ultimately it probably needs a dealer to service it if possible. The system like Bosch and others uses CANbus so components talk to each other there is an outside chance the BMS may have been damaged,
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thankyou very much hemo.

I just tried pressing the power button for 30s as a possible solution. No success.....

I will do some more research along the lines you suggest.

Any other ideas very welcome!

Mark
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If its only two years old, then back to the supplying retailer. I don't think 2 years then "dead" would be acceptable under the general consumer rights legislation for an expensive battery, unless that likely lifetime was made clear at time of purchase. The retailer can then take it up with the importer/manufacturer: that's how UK (and EU) consumer rights legislation works.
If the retailer doesn't play ball, then, if bought using a credit card, the legislation around credit card joint liability will be useful, just shift claim to the card issuer.
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thank you Nigel.

I bought it from a reputable dealer and so that is my next option. The warranty from Shimano is one year so that leaves me wanting to try technical options for now.

Suggestions and experiences welcome!