Swytch kit on a Brompton

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
fivebikes

Re: Swytch kit on a Brompton

Post by fivebikes »

stodd wrote:There are different options on the Swytch and the Woosh, but I think you'll find the Woosh generally have much higher capacity batteries. That may or may not be important to you depending how far and how assisted you expect to ride.

Sure, the Swytch we have is the bigger capacity Pro version. Given the typical rides that the Brompton is used for, the range, up to 50 km given the terrain, power level, rider input, should suffice. It seems okay, powered off, on the flat too and doesn’t use much, if anything, when freewheeling down hills.
Taking it out on familiar routes will give a better guide, but I reckon it should be okay.
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

I have ordered the Swytch kit. Orders opened an hour ago and about half of 1500 available kits have been sold.

With 50% off and £10 for filling in a questionnaire when I registered, it was £644 including £30 delivery. The standard kit is about £125 cheaper than the Brompton one.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

My Brompton Swytch kit came about 10 days ago, 4 months from ordering, and I finally got around to fitting it today. How anyone can do it in 30 minutes beats me, I took 3 hours including changing the tyre over and figuring out which of a selection of parts to use, where exactly to position everything, and generally taking my time. I suppose I could do one in 30 minutes now, bar the tyre change.

It worked properly first time, so at least I got it right. Darkness falling, I gave it a 5 minute test. As expected, with only a crank sensor and no torque sensing it's much cruder than my Bosch-powered Cube. Once the pedals are turning, it applies the selected level of power which is a little disconcerting when it continues to accelerate even after reducing pedal effort, but I know I'll get used to that.

What is weird is that the wheel has only radial spokes, 28 of them. I asked my engineer daughter how she would go about calculating the forces when rotational force is transferred from hub to rim. The answer I received was "no idea". It feels solid but how long will it last? The instructions advise regular checking of spoke tightness.

Edit - I've now given it a run, 7-8 miles including a short steep hill, and I'm getting used to it easily. I used power level 2/5 which helped me up the steep stretch in bottom gear which is fine for me. I still find the constant power a little odd, and frankly when I want to bimble I end up going too fast, which I then have to regulate with periods of not pedalling so as to cut the motor power. I'll experiment with varying the power level instead. Battery level has dropped by one blob.

Overall I am happy with it so far.

simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That's good to know - glad you're happy with the kit and the way it's all fitted together. I've certainly been very happy with my nano conversion on my Brompton. Just as an aside the nano motor which looks visually very similar to the motor used by swytch is laced as single cross, with 28 spokes.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

Thanks. There probably aren't too many motors that will fit the Brompton fork. Isn't the Nano the one with near---silent friction rollers instead of toothed cogs in the gear train? The Swytch motor probably isn't noisy but it certainly makes a noticeable gear whine. Although I think it's actually quietened down a bit after it's little run, unless I've got used to it already.

The wheel is hanging together anyway!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Isn't the Nano the one with near---silent friction rollers instead of toothed cogs in the gear train?
Funny you should mention that! It was indeed near silent - got it back in summer '17 and it has been v. quiet all the while. But it has recently moved away from 'near silent' status as it now rattles when no power is applied, reverting to silent running once power is applied. I'm currently (hoho) trying to find suitable instructions before I attempt to dismantle the motor with a view to inspection. As it still works just fine, I'm hoping that all it will require is a fresh application of suitable lubricant in order to return it to quietude...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mixer

Post by mixer »

Hi,
Just wondering how you got on with the titanium/ Swytch combo?
Thanks
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

mixer wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 5:32pm Hi,
Just wondering how you got on with the titanium/ Swytch combo?
Thanks
Our Bromptons are the older version using a steel frame with titanium rear triangle and front forks, not the new all titanium version.
So far so good. The forks aren’t showing any problems and the fit was easy.