Swytch kit on a Brompton

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
fivebikes

Swytch kit on a Brompton

Post by fivebikes »

Morning all!
Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience of the Swytch kit for the Brompton?
Their offering has a wheel and motor assembly that is narrow enough to fit the Brompton’s front fork OLD without the need to modify.
I’m asking because the Brompton concerned has the titanium forks which can’t be spread like the standard steel ones.
I will check Pedelecs too.
Thanks!
stodd

Re: Swytch kit on a Brompton

Post by stodd »

Well worth looking at the Woosh alternative. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

Swytch are grossly overpriced at their nominal price, and somewhat expensive for what they are at their standard 50% off price.
Beware of extra costs such as import duties, VAT and delivery on Swytch; they are there on the Swytch site but often hard to find.

The Woosh has a much higher capacity battery than the standard Swytch, and excellent customer service (Swytch CS seems to be variable).
The main thing that makes people go for Swytch is that their advertising is better.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Thanks...I have looked at Woosh but their design needs a bit of work. If they could house the whole thing in one unit, with out the controller dangling In a plastic bag, it would be better. I’ll do a bit of head scratching to see if it could easily be tidied up!
philg

Post by philg »

The weekend comes, my cycle hums
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've been delighted with the nano conversion on my Brompton and don't recall the forks having to be spread. See here. Tony Castle did my modification for me in 2017 and it's been super-duper ever since.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
philg

Post by philg »

The main thing that makes people go for Swytch is that their advertising is better.

Well no, I would like to think better of my cycling peers not to be swayed by adverts
The main thing that makes people go for Swytch is that their packaging is immeasurably better than the agricultural alternatives (IMHO)

I've been delighted with the nano conversion on my Brompton

At those prices I would hope you are - they make Swytch look reasonable :shock:
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Thanks for the YACF posting, philg. After reading that I can’t contemplate filing out front forks made from titanium!
I will look at the Woosh offering in more detail. I have family near Southend so, Covid permitting, will drop in for a look. I do agree though, the Swytch kit looks good and also leaves the luggage block on the Brompton available. Can’t afford Brompton’s own ebike, which I’ve tried and is good.
JA92

Post by JA92 »

philg wrote:https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=116101.msg2513072#msg2513072

Very useful thread - after reading I now have doubts about the Swytch kit.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

After much searching online I went for the Swytch Pro kit for the Brompton.
I have offered the wheel up to the forks and it fits well. The axle has flats on two sides so slots in perfectly.
Different bb sensor units were supplied, 2 Brompton crank specific depending on type fitted and a universal, for anyone who has retrofitted a different chain set maybe.
All really well finished too. Looks good.
Now to get on and fit it..... A couple of independent vids on YouTube have given me tips as well as the ‘official’ vids.
Not cheap but happy if it works as well as it looks.
Delivery from order took around 3 months so quicker than some reports.
I’ll post again with verdict!
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I've got the Swytch Pro kit for Brompton, and I'm generally happy with it. The front wheel just slotted in with no problems.

Aspects I'm less keen on are getting the pedal assist disc running true and close to the sensor, and the fact that there isn't a remote control for the power settings.

But overall, I'm enjoying it.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

rfryer wrote:

Aspects I'm less keen on are getting the pedal assist disc running true and close to the sensor, and the fact that there isn't a remote control for the power settings.

The version I have uses the crank arm to support the disc. It seems to hold it in the right place? The remote would be useful but mounting the power pack on the handlebars means it is pretty close if you need to change things. A little Bluetooth controller like the one ARCC use would be nice though.

Hoping to give it a spin this weekend.....taking it slow to make sure the cable runs are good!
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

fivebikes wrote:rfryer wrote:

The version I have uses the crank arm to support the disc. It seems to hold it in the right place? The remote would be useful but mounting the power pack on the handlebars means it is pretty close if you need to change things. A little Bluetooth controller like the one ARCC use would be nice though.

Hoping to give it a spin this weekend.....taking it slow to make sure the cable runs are good!

I've tried both the universal disk with no crank arm support, and the Brompton specific disc. I found that the Brompton one tends to have the disc slightly angled unless you tweak the fitting very carefully. The universal disc fits truer, but is slightly too wide.

You want to get the sensor fitted as accurately as possible. I had some issues with not getting quite as much top end speed as expected, and it was fixed by fiddling with the PAS sensor.

Hope it all goes well.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

rfryer wrote:
I've tried both the universal disk with no crank arm support, and the Brompton specific disc. I found that the Brompton one tends to have the disc slightly angled unless you tweak the fitting very carefully. The universal disc fits truer, but is slightly too wide.

You want to get the sensor fitted as accurately as possible. I had some issues with not getting quite as much top end speed as expected, and it was fixed by fiddling with the PAS sensor.

Hope it all goes well.
[/quote]

Yes, it’s the disc and sensor that’s a head scratcher! I have found the Brompton specific to be the most secure but the sensor requires packing out quite a lot to get close enough in the position they suggest.
They also show a horizontal fitting, on the side of the BB plate. This looks neat but means cutting off the hinge mounts from the speed sensor and sticking it on with a foam pad and zip tie.
Which placement did you go for?
If I pm you my email perhaps you would be kind enough to send a pic or two?
Thanks
Pateo63

Post by Pateo63 »

Hi.
I've recently purchased and have yet to give final specifications for fork and wheel size.
Problem is I've read about the fork size!
My bike is a Evans pinnacle Cobalt 2 2018 Mens Disc Brake with Fork: Suntour NRX D LO, 700c 63mm QR lockout.
So I'm assuming that unless the fork can be spread out , I will not be able to fit the swytch Kit. I'm a novice and not very good with bike mechanics/maintenance etc, not very confident!
Thoughts, hints, tip's any advice appreciated. Thanks.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

As far as I know, it’s a standard width front hub on your bike so the 700c Swytch kit should be okay without spreading the forks.
The Brompton has a narrow hub so they make a specific kit for it.
Have you emailed them to double check?
I have messaged them a few times over the last couple of days and they’ve been very helpful!