Swytch kit on a Brompton

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Pateo63

Re: Swytch kit on a Brompton

Post by Pateo63 »

fivebikes wrote:As far as I know, it’s a standard width front hub on your bike so the 700c Swytch kit should be okay without spreading the forks.
The Brompton has a narrow hub so they make a specific kit for it.
Have you emailed them to double check?
I have messaged them a few times over the last couple of days and they’ve been very helpful!

Hi.
My understanding is that the measurement between forks is 63mm width. The following information is copied from email swytch sent me yesterday.

"Universal motor = 100mm width, for all regular bikes and some folding bikes

Brompton (narrow) motor = 74mm width, for narrow forks of 70-80mm width, such as Dahon folding bikes".

So if I'm understanding it correctly that means my forks are at least 9mm width to small.

The FORK is
Suntour NRX D LO, 700c 63mm QR lockout.

I will definitely double check with swytch on the comparability. So thanks for your help.
Pateo63

Post by Pateo63 »

Now I'm getting conflicting information from the swytch bike staff!
I was informed via FB messenger last week the following.
"Hi Thanks for your message. You will need our universal kit and our 28 inch (ETRTO 622) wheel. I hope this is of assistance."
Then today via email the following.
"After searching for your forks, I've seen a lot of them are Thru-Axle designed forks​. Would this be the case for yours?
Unfortunately, the Swytch kit is only compatible with dropout/open forks due to the nature of e-bike wheels.

My apologies for the disappointment this may bring."
See image from swytch.
IMG_20210216_170732.jpg

Anyone know if It will or will not fit my Forks?

Suntour NRX D LO, 700c 63mm QR lockout

Following information is via the QR code sticker on actual forks.

TI00079297;SF13-NRX-D-DS-LO-COIL 700C TS 260/0 YS727 C:BLK W/OLOGO W/OB BR 63;2018/1/16.

What do you think, should I get a refund or keep order and hope it can be made to fit. I definitely don't want to have to fork out (no pun intended) for a brand new replacement fork to get swytch kit to fit!
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

I have found the support at Swytch really helpful.
They helped me check through the fitting of my kit via a video call.
The issue you have to establish is whether the fork ends are open (like a u shape) for a conventional quick release or closed (like a ring) for a thru axle.
I would remove your front wheel and take a photo of the fork ends and send it to Swytch, using the reference number they have given you from your first enquiry.
They will tell you whether your fork is suitable.
Pateo63

Post by Pateo63 »

fivebikes wrote:I have found the support at Swytch really helpful.
The issue you have to establish is whether the fork ends are open (like a u shape) for a conventional quick release or closed (like a ring) for a thru axle.
I would remove your front wheel and take a photo of the fork ends and send it to Swytch, using the reference number they have given you from your first enquiry.

Thanks very much. I will follow your advice, much appreciated.
Pateo63

Post by Pateo63 »

fivebikes wrote:I have found the support at Swytch really helpful.

So now Tom from swytch has now taken further advice from another swytch colleague, here's the latest information regarding my bikes fork compatibly.

"Tom (Swytch Bike)

17 Feb 2021, 16:05 GMT

Hi A

I'm terribly sorry about the confusion I've caused regarding your order.

Our resident technician has confirmed your forks are compatible with the Swytch Kit. It would seem the brand creates many, many kinds of forks and I had mistaken yours for another kind.

My very, deepest apologies for this error and the stress & confusion I have caused you.

Just to clarify your forks ARE compatible with the Swytch kit. If you would still like to go ahead I will refrain from forwarding your ticket and we can continue with many, sincere apologies from myself.

Please let me know if you're happy to proceed with the knowledge that your forks will be compatible.

Again. I'm truly, genuinely sorry for this confusion."

So fingers crossed it actually is as they say compatible for my bike forks!
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

I thought it would be.
Good that they got back to you and apologised for haphazard advice.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Pateo63 wrote:So if I'm understanding it correctly that means my forks are at least 9mm width to small.

The FORK is
Suntour NRX D LO, 700c 63mm QR lockout.

63mm is the maximum suspension travel...
"42"
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

After a delay caused by a faulty power pack I’m now up and running!
Swytch were very helpful, both their email support and a video call to systematically go through the fitted kit to establish exactly what was causing the problem, was prompt, courteous and helpful.
The new pack was quickly dispatched and, after a charge, attached and off I went for a spin.
First impressions are good. I settled on the lowest two power settings which were enough for the pretty steep hills near me. Power delivery was quiet, quick and smooth. The bar mounted pack allows easy reach to the control pad.
I’ve tried the official Brompton ebike and this compares really well I have to say! Also, we already have an ARCC Moulton. The Swytch feels as good as this in many ways although the two conversions are very different.
The Swytch doesn’t look like some of the retrofit kits I’ve seen. It looks ‘finished’, well designed and compact.
Thanks also to ‘rfryer’ for helpful PMs too.
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

I have a full-size e-bike on order, primarily because I discovered 3 years ago that I have a heart problem and I have been told to keep my heart rate below 130 bpm which means I can't get up hills on an unassisted bike other than in crawler gear.

I have a Brompton that I was planning to sell (I justified the spend on the e-bike to myself partly on the basis that I should get maybe £1000 for the Brompton, which is pretty much as new).

This thread has been very interesting. I really like my Brommie and would also like to retain a portable bike. I only stumbled across the Swytch a couple of days ago and I am now seriously thinking of converting the Brompton, but the message here seems to be to at least consider alternatives, especially the Woosh kit which I will now research.

Thanks to the contributors.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

So, the sun was out yesterday so my wife hit the road on the Swytch Brompton. I followed behind on the Moulton, trying in vain to keep up without its ARCC system powered up.
We got to Ripponden Bank and both now under e power, sailed up. For those that are unfamiliar, here is a description from cycling weekly.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ire-128157
Didn’t time it but the Brompton wouldn’t have made that climb without the Swytch!
Just a short ride out, a few more hills, including Stainland Dean and back home. About 25 km. The Swytch power pack showing 3/5 bars remaining. Used mainly on level 2/5, once or twice, up to 3/5.
So far, very impressed. Not the cheapest but neat, well made and effective.
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

fivebikes wrote:We got to Ripponden Bank and both now under e power, sailed up ...the Brompton wouldn’t have made that climb without the Swytch!
Just a short ride out, a few more hills, including Stainland Dean and back home. About 25 km. The Swytch power pack showing 3/5 bars remaining. Used mainly on level 2/5, once or twice, up to 3/5.

I know it well, used to live near Outlane. Not a trivial hill. Is the Brompton a 6 speed? Mine is but I certainly wouldn't make it up there in my present condition. I take it your wife is a strong cyclist?
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Red Kite wrote
I know it well, used to live near Outlane. Not a trivial hill. Is the Brompton a 6 speed? Mine is but I certainly wouldn't make it up there in my present condition. I take it your wife is a strong cyclist?

Yes, it is a six speed and she does cycle but less than me. First outing this year after a patchy year for cycling last year so she freely admitted that she would have got off and pushed without the e assist.
She’ll not mind me saying that she’s 65 too. Not a big number but certainly neither of us are in our first flush......!
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

Thanks fivebikes. Good to hear.

That suggests the Swytch is far from a low-powered toy. An email from Swytch yesterday didn't give a number but implied that the cost of the Brompton kit would be >=£700 when the next 'discounted' release appears.

So I'll have to decide whether to cash in my Brompton and do without a portable e-bike, or sink another £700+ for the Swytch. The Woosh kit is c. £530 I think so that is a cheaper option but looks less neat.

My Brommie is a P6R so will be quite a lump with battery and motor added.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Red Kite wrote:
My Brommie is a P6R so will be quite a lump with battery and motor added.

It does add a bit of weight but the combined power pack/controller lifts off easily. Even has a little carry handle!
Ours is affixed to an S type, to the handlebars, so the luggage block is still available. Didn’t bother with brake cut off sensors or throttle. Add to weight a bit but more complicated to fit. Not really needed as the power cuts as you stop pedalling. Pushing, even when loaded is not a problem so throttle not necessary.
I looked at the Whoosh kit but it isn’t as neat and attaches to the luggage block too.

We have a second Brompton so I’m going to order a kit for that too.

I’ll flag up issues if any crop up.
stodd

Post by stodd »

There are different options on the Swytch and the Woosh, but I think you'll find the Woosh generally have much higher capacity batteries. That may or may not be important to you depending how far and how assisted you expect to ride.