Ebikes and fitness

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Antbrewer

Re: Ebikes and fitness

Post by Antbrewer »

DaveP
Thank you for posting the results of this very interesting study. I have never seen such a study before and having read it over a few times find the results fascinating.
There are a number of references which state a slight advantage to the ebike rider which give credence to the comments of many on this forum as to why they have ebikes. I certainly do not analyse from a 'deep cognitive place' the enjoyment I get from being on mine.
My wife however on reading this study said straight away. 'My ebike makes me very happy as I don't mind where we go on holiday now''. So she feels happy and that makes me happy.

Rather simplistic perhaps but it does make a little point.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Having an ebike gives two extra forms of enjoyment. When riding the ebike, the joy of having that extra assist when needed. When riding the regular bike the joy of 'directness' and not having that extra paraphernalia.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Fascinating study.

I cycle 20-40 miles in an outing. I would barely make 5 miles without support. Some would say well just do the 5 miles for the exercise. But exercise is more than merely being out of breath and aching everywhere. I get places, see things, take photos, have a leisurely lunch in the countryside. My spirits soar and I get home refreshed in body and mind but not so exhausted that I can't make a meal and enjoy the evening. And I can't wait to go out again.

At 5 miles I would do the same trip everyday. At 40 miles I can do something different almost every time I go out.
John
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

The comments from Stodd and oldjohnw echo my thoughts exactly.
I love riding my Ridgeback touring bike as much as the ebike. However it is obvious to me that my chest and asthma prefers the ebike!

It just proves that one can have the best of both worlds at times.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps talk about limiting maximum speed for €bikes is bleating up the wrong tree

There should be a *minimum* limit, minimum age, I think the ebike enthusiasts of this parish qualify :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Oldjohnw wrote:At 5 miles I would do the same trip everyday. At 40 miles I can do something different almost every time I go out.

I agree unreservedly. In fact, I'll go one further.That's also the reason why I have never been able to regard walking as exercise. If I was lucky enough to inhabit an area of outstanding natural beauty you couldn't keep me indoors. But when going for a "constitutional" down the streets I see everyday - Nah!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

Did 1hr of hard riding today on my road bike for the first time in a fortnight. Commuting to work on my eBike has if anything made me fitter as demonstrated by the ongoing fall in my resting heart rate and string of PBs today :).

eBike or not, any kind of riding gets you fitter...unless you're OP, and happen to live at the foot of a Tour de France mountain stage!!

simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I love those roads / tracks where cars is banned - there's an all-too-short section on what was my commute, running south out of Iron Acton.
I popped a 'leccy motor on my Brompton in order to rescue me from not cycling. For various reasons, I was cycling less and less and I guessed that the extra shove from the motor might turn the tide, which it did. When I eventually took the extra step of starting to use my old non-leccy bike, I was shocked & disappointed by how weak I was. However I was presumably, a lot less unfit than I would've been if I'd abandoned cycle altogether... crucially, I was fit enough to start using the road bike again.
Attachments
Short section of lane, closed to traffic :-)
Short section of lane, closed to traffic :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I bought my E bike about a year ago. I started to suffer Polymyalgia and was worried I would not be able to carry on cycling.
Luckily, my Doc was able to treat the ailment with a steroid and I was able to ride my two drop bar tourers again.
I do not regret buying my Whyte Coniston in the least. In fact it is a superb bit of kit that I have ridden over two thousand miles on in its first year.
I've had other, more recent injury problems but I'm still able to ride my Kinesis T2 Racelight.
Again, this is a lovely light bike, well built and very good value, which I can thoroughly recommend.
While I'm not as quick on the T2 as I was, it's lightness kind of makes up a lot and I can tackle hills nearly as well as before,perhaps slower.
My Coniston weighs 19 Kilos and I am 105 kilos so it has a lot of work to do propelling both me and itself.
It has the more modest 40 kn steps motor, but even so, it goes well and the sort of rides we do up here are within its capability.
Sundays ride was only 28 miles in length, but involved over two thousand feet of ascent.
Oddly, the group I ride with are Potholers and Mountaineers and we like it long and steep.
Our backyard is the Dales and the Lakes.
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

Antbrewer wrote:DaveP
Thank you for posting the results of this very interesting study. I have never seen such a study before and having read it over a few times find the results fascinating.
There are a number of references which state a slight advantage to the ebike rider which give credence to the comments of many on this forum as to why they have ebikes. I certainly do not analyse from a 'deep cognitive place' the enjoyment I get from being on mine.
My wife however on reading this study said straight away. 'My ebike makes me very happy as I don't mind where we go on holiday now''. So she feels happy and that makes me happy.

Rather simplistic perhaps but it does make a little point.

Very well said Indeed..My wife and I hired some e bikes in Keswick and cycled over Newlands Pass...In the rain...And my wife was so Happy and as said,that feeling of now being able to cycle almost anywhere is so liberating and happiness inducing and priceless.Never ever thought I would see my wife cycling forest tracks on a mtb shouting Yipeeeee
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Excellent news! I'm very happy for you :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Agreed. Well done. Have fun.

Jonathan
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Thanks 50sbiker I knew I wasn't the only one..
We have recently returned from 5 days in Tenby over hills and far away so to speak. Beautiful weather and on ebikes.
Just in time before that silly man in charge locked the country up and decided what was essential shopping for everyone. You couldn't make it up?
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

mumbojumbo wrote:When I witness people on ebikes i notice several things
1.they seem to be wearing miltiple layers of clothing suggesting they are cold through inactivity
2.they ride round like Father Brown,very upright
3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists

Comparing the experience with real cyckling is akin to thinking the placing of a marks and spencers chucken tikka in a micro oven is similar to a chicken cooked in a tandoor after hours of preparation.This easy version will see the conventional cyclist becoming rare as the electric option becomes the first choice for a lazt society with teenagers going electric.| blame Bob Dylan.

I am 57 and cycled on and off most of my life.I have cycled Ireland,Hebrides,Germany,Denmark ,S Africa to name a few.Yes.E bike is less effort.No doubt..But if one loves biking,one will find a way..The main thing is to enjoy,I have no pretence of super fitness.Bit colder and no grimace,I will take that. touring for weeks on end and still having enough energy each night to explore a new town and go to the bar with my wife,,instead of being exhausted.Yes please.Nothing to prove at my age..
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

50sbiker wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:When I witness people on ebikes i notice several things
1.they seem to be wearing miltiple layers of clothing suggesting they are cold through inactivity
2.they ride round like Father Brown,very upright
3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists

Comparing the experience with real cyckling is akin to thinking the placing of a marks and spencers chucken tikka in a micro oven is similar to a chicken cooked in a tandoor after hours of preparation.This easy version will see the conventional cyclist becoming rare as the electric option becomes the first choice for a lazt society with teenagers going electric.| blame Bob Dylan.

I am 57 and cycled on and off most of my life.I have cycled Ireland,Hebrides,Germany,Denmark ,S Africa to name a few.Yes.E bike is less effort.No doubt..But if one loves biking,one will find a way..The main thing is to enjoy,I have no pretence of super fitness.Bit colder and no grimace,I will take that. touring for weeks on end and still having enough energy each night to explore a new town and go to the bar with my wife,,instead of being exhausted.Yes please.Nothing to prove at my age..Your microwave analogy is way off and nonsense really..