Ebikes and fitness

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
50sbiker

Re: Ebikes and fitness

Postby 50sbiker » 8 Nov 2020, 8:07pm

50sbiker wrote:
50sbiker wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:When I witness people on ebikes i notice several things
1.they seem to be wearing miltiple layers of clothing suggesting they are cold through inactivity
2.they ride round like Father Brown,very upright
3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists

Comparing the experience with real cyckling is akin to thinking the placing of a marks and spencers chucken tikka in a micro oven is similar to a chicken cooked in a tandoor after hours of preparation.This easy version will see the conventional cyclist becoming rare as the electric option becomes the first choice for a lazt society with teenagers going electric.| blame Bob Dylan.

I am 57 and cycled on and off most of my life.I have cycled Ireland,Hebrides,Germany,Denmark ,S Africa to name a few.Yes.E bike is less effort.No doubt..But if one loves biking,one will find a way..The main thing is to enjoy,I have no pretence of super fitness.Bit colder and no grimace,I will take that. touring for weeks on end and still having enough energy each night to explore a new town and go to the bar with my wife,,instead of being exhausted.Yes please.Nothing to prove at my age..Your microwave analogy is way off and nonsense really..What is wrong with riding upright? No need for all that head down buttock up SPD nonsense

50sbiker

Postby 50sbiker » 8 Nov 2020, 8:08pm

Oldjohnw wrote:In my case the fitness benefits are explicit and straightforward: pre electric bike - zero miles; electric bike - 100+ km/week, only using power for hills, adverse wind or tiredness.

Calories burned or energy input measurement seem a little academic.

Precisely.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 9 Nov 2020, 6:00am

"50sbiker wrote:
50sbiker wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:
When I witness people on ebikes i notice several things
1.they seem to be wearing miltiple layers of clothing suggesting they are cold through inactivity
2.they ride round like Father Brown,very upright
3.their faces betray look of indolence compared with the grimace of normal cyclists

Comparing the experience with real cyckling is akin to thinking the placing of a marks and spencers chucken tikka in a micro oven is similar to a chicken cooked in a tandoor after hours of preparation.This easy version will see the conventional cyclist becoming rare as the electric option becomes the first choice for a lazt society with teenagers going electric.| blame Bob Dylan.

I am 57 and cycled on and off most of my life.I have cycled Ireland,Hebrides,Germany,Denmark ,S Africa to name a few.Yes.E bike is less effort.No doubt..But if one loves biking,one will find a way..The main thing is to enjoy,I have no pretence of super fitness.Bit colder and no grimace,I will take that. touring for weeks on end and still having enough energy each night to explore a new town and go to the bar with my wife,,instead of being exhausted.Yes please.Nothing to prove at my age..Your microwave analogy is way off and nonsense really..What is wrong with riding upright? No need for all that head down buttock up SPD nonsense"
People who stick their buttocks up do so as a consequence of exertion not to attract primates.You are emloying hyperbole to make your point.The bar in my life is on my bike not a venue of intoxication.

ndwgolf

Postby ndwgolf » 11 Jan 2021, 10:37pm

hjd10 wrote:You can analyse it to death and the facts remain, I have a route that I've done many times before however on the E-bike the route is much easier. I travel faster and the hills seem to flatten out and I get around quicker. I have a My Zone heart rate monitor which shows clearly I'm having an easier ride, but it's more enjoyable! Sometimes when you don't really wont to go out, the temptation to get out and ride just for the enjoyment has come back to some of my rides. :D
There was a chap a week ago on a 110km Audax event close to home (Fulbeck, Ridge to Vale) who was riding a lightweight Cannondale Ebike and he managed the route fine. He was on an E-bike due to a health issue which unless he had a bit of extra support, he'd be stuck inside or riding much more slowly.
I think that you can keep a fitness level on an Ebike its just different thats all. :wink:

Iam at the stage right now where every time my mates go riding (+/- 50 kilometres) I make my excuses and stay at home or play golf.........reason being they are younger and fitter than me (I'm 63 years old and 120kg FAT)..........Im hoping that the Bafang upgrade will take care of the hills so that I can go back out riding with them again and try and get rid of my beer belly at the same time
Neil