Touring eBike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
struggling

Touring eBike

Post by struggling »

Hello. After 45 years of charging everywhere on my stable of bikes, I've been felled by familial heart disease. Half-a-mile on the flat now leaves me gasping for breath. I've bought a cheap folding eBike for round-town use, and have got on OK with that. Does anyone know of (what an old fogey like me would call) a traditional-style touring eBike, please? They all seem to be flat-bar, front-suspension, hybrid-style bikes, from what I've been able to find. I'm not knocking that style of bike at all, but, having ridden custom tourers, and finally my off-the-peg Dawes Sardar, all my life for touring, I'm wondering if anyone produces a similarly styled eBike. From all quarters I've heard 'The hybrid-type bikes can be a joy to ride', 'The traditional tourer has finally died a long-overdue death', 'What's wrong with flat bars and front suspension?', 'You used to ride what!?', etc.. I'm not looking to convert a bike, nor to convert anyone to my preferences, and definitely not to spend £10,000 (oh, and a range of 100 miles on any and all terrain, with or without pedal assistance, would be nice - but I know that that's years away). Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jdsk

Re: Touring eBike

Post by Jdsk »

A member of my family has an Orbea Gain D20. 25% of charge used on 70 mile ride, but of course it depends on the setting. Road rather than touring, but who's counting? Nice machine.
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/road/gain/cat/gain-d20-20mph

What's your price range?

Jonathan
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

A biased view, but initially I'd look towards models like the Orbea Gain D30/40/D50, and Boardman ADV 8.9e.

They're relaxed geometry, drop handlebar, and relatively light without being pricey. They both have mudguard and rack mountings - I've even fitted a Blackburn pannier rack to my Gain for that old-school look! Gearing is sensible too - about on par with my Mercian tourer.
Tyres - you can go skinny (I did), or you can go a bit fatter for comfort. The frames all allow for both.

The icing on the cake is they feel like riding a 'normal' bike, just a little chunkier than normal - say a bit like riding with something in the panniers. But the motor more than compensates for that, whenever you need it.

The only downside, if you can call it that, is that you do have to put some effort in - they're not a completely free ride like some models.
They're all 250W output, 15.5mph limit, so all legal.

* There are others like Ribble CGR AL e, Cairn, Bergamont, Cube, Forme, etc. I can't guarantee they have mudguard and pannier mountings, but I have to say the Ribble looks like it may be as good, if not better, than the Orbea. I have no personal experience of it, but it has the same ebikemotion system.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

+1
My Orbea still needs my input on hills - quite a bit on the steeper ones. Comes into its own on the long draggy ones. For long demanding rides or touring a supplementary battery is available.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I don't wish to sound negative here but may I suggest that you borrow / hire a quality electric bike before you part with your hard earned cash, and try it out on a few hills? If you have a heart condition that leaves you gasping for breath after half a mile then a hill on an electric bike is going to do exactly the same. No electric bikes sold in the UK now will power you effortlessly along, they are all pedal assist and will give you quite a lift but it still requires considerable effort on a steep hill. They weigh a significant amount too - mine weighs 26Kg. I have an electric hybrid style bike and after a 50 miler on it I know I've had a workout.

Dave
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

saudidave wrote:They weigh a significant amount too - mine weighs 26Kg.

There's enormous variation... the Orbea Gain D20 is about 14 kg.

Totally agree about testing.

Jonathan
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

There's enormous variation... the Orbea Gain D20 is about 14 kg.

Unlike many of my fellow e-bike users I can lift the Orbea into the car without having to remove the battery.
Just as well as it's inside the down tube :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Perhaps this is what you need:

http://squiremotorcycles.co.uk/index.html
John
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

I have been looking at this for a while as it is similar to my requirements, in short the answer is no, you will either have to accept what is on offer, modify a standard bike or convert one of your old bikes.

I also think that the drop barred bikes discussed are really not suitable for your needs. The main reason is your fitness appears to be poor even on the flat. Those bikes are really only designed for those that are fairly fit and only need a little help on the hills, they usually have small batteries which limit their range if you have to use the assist too much. Most riders seem to not use the assist most of the time only using it on occasion when necessary.

I think by your post you will require a bike of the more conventional that will give more assistance which means the normal hybrid type unfortunately.

The only solution if you want a drop touring bike style is really to convert one of your older bikes with a battery capacity suitable for your needs or more likely as close as you can get.

One compromise that might work is a Woosh Faro. Its really a flat barred road bike though but does have a rack, nothing like the quality your used to as its under £1.2K but it has cadence sensing not torque sensing as you would expect on a 2k plus bike. I think it can also can be retrofitted with a throttle, these two features would make it more suitable to someone with very limited fitness as you can get the motor to work without the need to put pressure on the peddles (with less range).

Your desire for a 100mile range is most likely not achievable without a reasonable level of fitness. With poor fitness levels it would mean carrying a very large battery capacity. Maybe with a spare battery it might be achievable.

If it were me I would refurbish and convert the Sardar as I guess its the most versatile.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Struggling ( aren't we all?)

Just another one to add to the selection that richtea99 suggested you might look at. The Cannondale Synapse Neo 1 or 2.
I bought this model ( the Nero 1) in March . Weighs about 18kg. Have mudguards and rack fitted. Has drops with a lovely riding geometry (for me anyway). Purrs along with a 500wt removable battery on the downtube. I have no idea on battery life as I have never come close to using even half even on a day's ride. Haven't tried it on the mountains yet. I would expect at least 80 miles plus with it on and off in hilly terrain.
Have a look on line. Not cheap at £3500 but money well spent in my mind.
Looks pretty much like a conventional frame with a slightly thicker downtube.
Happy hunting.
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

struggling wrote:Hello. After 45 years of charging everywhere on my stable of bikes, I've been felled by familial heart disease. Half-a-mile on the flat now leaves me gasping for breath. I've bought a cheap folding eBike for round-town use, and have got on OK with that. Does anyone know of (what an old fogey like me would call) a traditional-style touring eBike, please? They all seem to be flat-bar, front-suspension, hybrid-style bikes, from what I've been able to find. I'm not knocking that style of bike at all, but, having ridden custom tourers, and finally my off-the-peg Dawes Sardar, all my life for touring, I'm wondering if anyone produces a similarly styled eBike. From all quarters I've heard 'The hybrid-type bikes can be a joy to ride', 'The traditional tourer has finally died a long-overdue death', 'What's wrong with flat bars and front suspension?', 'You used to ride what!?', etc.. I'm not looking to convert a bike, nor to convert anyone to my preferences, and definitely not to spend £10,000 (oh, and a range of 100 miles on any and all terrain, with or without pedal assistance, would be nice - but I know that that's years away). Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

As said by others,there is no alternative really to trying some,there are so many variations.Like you I am a bike tourer.Until now happy on a steel frame Koga Miyata,camping gear..50 mile a day...I test rode a few e bikes recently.From the £7k riece and muller to a £900 Halfords...The main thing is they all help a hell of a lot!!..The rest is entirely down to the individual requirments.I was v impressed with even the £900 halfords,rear wheel motor...Try some.
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Hi,look at the Kalkhoff Range,I have one which has a “Range80/95 miles.it cost me £3,450 but well worth it,I’v only done 700+ miles.After Xmas I may consider selling.It’s (Mint) Like “NEW” :D Message me if your interested.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I ride a Whyte Coniston e Bike and I fitted a carrier and mudguards. I've had it fifteen months and I've clocked up nearly three thousand miles.
I am a big bloke and quite powerful though slow. My Coniston has a Steps E5000 motor that delivers a low 40 Nm torque. I live between the South Lakes and Dales and have had very good battery performances considering the sustained hilly nature of my day rides.
The Coniston was built for mixed on/off road rides and conceeds little to touring. Having said that, it is quite a good day tourer and would suit crdeit card touring with just rear paniers. Occasionally, I fit both paniers and fill them with shopping. It performs adequately.
Recently, I rode just under sixty miles of undulating terrain and got home still with 2/5 bars left on the battery.
75 Nm motors are available on more expensive AT makes and models and may well be even better for light touring.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yesterday I had my first long ride in about 4 months using my elderly Raleigh hybrid with a retro fitted front hub motor. I saw about 25 other cyclists, some solo some in small groups, from Mamils at speed to sit up and beg ebike riders peddling along. I saw less than 25 cars. Almost all exchanged greetings.

I did 75 km in 4 hours of cycling. I had between a quarter and a half of the battery (11aH) remaining.

I was never out of breath but my legs ached - and still do a little.
John