Panniers that fit onto battery racks?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Boyonabike

Panniers that fit onto battery racks?

Post by Boyonabike »

I have a new ebike with a batter in the rear luggage rack. Unfortunately the tubes are too fat and the clearance between tubes and battery insufficient for any of the panniers I have lying around at home to fit. Can anyone recommend me what panniers you use if you have a similar rack with integrated battery?

Key requirements
- preferably double panniers
- need to be able to fasten to the rack rather than loosely drap over so they don't slide off in use, but not looking for anything that's permanently attached or too fiddly to release as I need to remove them when popping into the shops etc.
- waterproof for commuting during showers
- willing to spend up to £100 as previous experience suggests cheap panniers don't last long, but not looking to spend silly money on designer brands
- bonus points if easy to carry when not on the bike

I looked into "Basil" but they seem to be a pain to fit and some require to buy into a mounting system (MIK?) that looks like it could be an even worse faff, is that the case?
philg

Re: Panniers that fit onto battery racks?

Post by philg »

Would it be possible to remove the battery mount and refit to a more suitable pannier rack?
It's likely the e-bike manufacturer buys in the battery kit and the luggage rack from different sources and bolts them together.
Last edited by philg on 12 Oct 2020, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I know that problem. I bought these double panniers and they work brilliantly.

https://agu.com/en/bike-bags. I bought the H2O pair.

No hooks, no clips. Just put in place and a silly velcro stay.
John
groberts

Post by groberts »

Isn't it incredible that with all the e-bike growth that manufacturers can't / won't make a battery rack that will take a conventional pannier, such as Ortlieb. Given that many of these bikes will be used for utility purposes, already well estbalished across Europe, it would seem obvious that they should take such panniers = poor design.

It's not difficult, in my case I converted a Trek 830 MTB with a battery rack from one of the main suppliers and there's insufficient space between the top rack bar onto which the pannier needs to clip and the battery; I've looked at numerous off the shelf e-bikes too all of which have the same problem. Do these manufacturers not look at how an e-bike is used? Simple solution, raise the bars slightly to increase the space = job done.

Sometimes I despair!!
asinus

Post by asinus »

My wife had this problem, but sorted it out with an extra rack that fitted on top of the battery rack, bought from Wisper (Wisperbikes.com) - it's Dutch, not purely for e-bikes - a bit of a faff to fit, and extra weight, but it does the job.
Wisperrack.jpg