Help & advice on folding e-bikes including the Ezego EZE Fold please

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
John_S

Help & advice on folding e-bikes including the Ezego EZE Fold please

Postby John_S » 27 Oct 2020, 3:44pm

Hi All,

My mother & father in-law have come to me asking for advice on buying a folding e-bike and I'll be grateful to anyone who can help me with this. They've come to me because I'm a cyclist but I've never ridden or owned and e-bike so I'll hold my hands up and say that I know nothing about them and so I don't have a clue what either is or isn't a good one.

Just as some background my parents aren't cyclists but they were away in their caravan and they got chatting to some other people who had folding e-bikes and they really liked the idea of them. They have no interest in traveling long distances and I don't envisage that they'll do much main road riding. It'll be a case of a mix of perhaps quiet country lane riding whilst on holiday, short trips popping to the local shops and maybe some very light off road trail stuff if for example they go to a country park somewhere and want to do a loop type ride with the grand children but it would be fairly well maintained hard packed gravel track type riding nothing in the realms of technical off road riding.

They have said that they definitely want a folding bike because they want to be able to easily take it away in the caravan or to be able to fold it and put it into the back of the car to take somewhere for days out. In terms of budget they don't want to spend too much with £1,000 being the maximum that they want to go to and so I appreciate that this budget in itself will severely limit the options to only a few bikes. But at around this price point I have absolutely no idea of what features they should be thinking about in terms of pros and cons when comparing bikes.

The sort of bikes that they've looked at include the folding e-bikes that are available at Halfords such as the following:-

Apollo Transport folding e-bike at £599
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/apollo-transport-electric-folding-bike---20in-542248.html

Carrera Crosscity folding e-bike at £899
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-electric-bike-298734.html

After visiting Halfords they also went to their local bike shop and the LBS sell e-bikes by a company called Ezego and there was a bike called the Ezego EZE fold. In particular my mother-in-law liked the LS version of this bike which is a low set over and she has bad knee joints and so she found it much easier to step over the frame and get onto this bike:-

https://ezego.bike/folding-electric-bicycle

However I've never before heard of the brand Ezego and nor can I easily find any reviews if this bike and so I wondered if anyone has ever heard of the Ezego Fold and has any thoughts about it? This bike was at the top of their budget being at the £1,000 mark.

One thing I thought is that if they do buy an e-bike from their LBS at least hopefully they'd get some support and help with it down the line if they ever needed it.

Thanks for reading this and if anyone has any tips, thoughts or ideas on advice that I could give to my parents in-law that will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

John

gaz

Re: Help & advice on folding e-bikes including the Ezego EZE Fold please

Postby gaz » 27 Oct 2020, 10:08pm

As someone who is e-curious but has yet to dive in I'd look to find somewhere to hire an e-bike and try it out for the type of riding I'd be likely to do. E-bike hire is still relatively niche, I imagine folding e-bike hire open during the Covid pandemic may be hard to find.

The other consideration I would have is weight. My 20" wheel folding Dahon comes in at about 28lb. That's about as much as I want to lift into the boot of our car. The linked Ezego is about 42lb, I'm not sure I'd manage lifting that.

All that said it's great to hear that they want to start riding and I hope you help them to find something that will work for them.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

hemo

Postby hemo » 27 Oct 2020, 11:57pm

Have a look at the Onebot s6 folding bike at sub £600 or two at £519 each, the UK Mirider bike uses the exact same generic designed frame but charge a hefty £1300.

John_S

Postby John_S » 28 Oct 2020, 9:42am

Hi gaz,

Thanks for the message and I am now starting to search for places to hire an e-bike if it's possible to find somewhere relatively nearby but as you say I think that finding a folding e-bike to hire might be difficult.

That's a good point about weight and whilst my parents-in-law might like the idea of popping out for the day with their folding e-bikes in the boot the reality if lifting them in and out of the boot might well be a bit different with the weight of them being a bit of a barrier to easily getting them in and out of a car which is a Honda CRV so it's not got a really low boot to get a bike in and out of.

I do think it's great that they want to get out and about on a bike but I just want to make sure that they get something that's right for them.

Hi hemo,

Thanks for the tip and I've taken a quick look at the Onebot which is good value for money but I think that for my parents-in-law they'll struggle to step over the frame of the Onebot.

Cheers,

John

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 28 Oct 2020, 7:07pm

Stumbled across this during my market research: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta
£899 according to their shop page, but still 20kg
No direct knowledge, but the company appears to have a decent reputation in these parts.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

stodd

Postby stodd » 28 Oct 2020, 7:53pm

The Rambletta looks good. We have mentioned it also on a parallel thread on Pedelecs. Sadly, like almost all Woosh's offerings it is not available right now, but will be back .... Supplies of everything are difficult at the moment (https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ost-586247)

John_S

Postby John_S » 29 Oct 2020, 4:13pm

Hi DaveP,

Many thanks for your message and it seems like the Woosh Rambletta is coming up a fair few times being mentioned at this price point and so with multiple people mentioning them that has to be a good thing.

Hi Stodd,

Thanks for your message and yes unfortunately with any type of bike, whether that be e-bike or conventional bike, supply and availability might be a key factor here. Whilst I'm not sure how much use a bike will get from them over the winter they are very eager to get one and so they may not have the luxury of choosing from all of the bikes out there but more have to consider something of what is actually available.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Cheers,

John

aegelstane

Postby aegelstane » 1 Nov 2020, 10:33am

Which, Sept/20, recommended the Decathlon B'Twin Tilt as; "Worth a look although stocks are currently limited. At £750, while it's on a different planet to the Brompton H2L in terms of overall quality, it will still make you grin when the motor whirs into action and it's less than 1/3rd of the price"!