Electric Throttles

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
StephenMurphy

Electric Throttles

Postby StephenMurphy » 12 Nov 2020, 3:25pm

Hi everyone.

I am looking to take away the throttle on my e bike. My question is...... will my pedal assist still work without the throttle. Thanks in advance.

Stevie

Jdsk

Re: Electric Throttles

Postby Jdsk » 12 Nov 2020, 4:03pm

Which model? And is it modified?

Jonathan

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 12 Nov 2020, 7:00pm

Need to know make/model! We’ve got a couple of Cyclotricity kits - throttle simply works in parallel with the assist panel, therefore either don’t use, or unplug and remove:-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 12 Nov 2020, 7:24pm

I think with the basic Voilamart kits when you remove the throttle the motor goes to full power as you turn the crankset which is not how you want it to work. Much better to have a throttle on those.

If you have the controller box with a display/panel connector you can get various display panels or simple panel controllers that add power levels. I'm not sure how they work if you have both a throttle and a panel controller.

A throttle is perfectly legal as long as it only operates while you are peddling so no need to remove for legal reasons. I've read some police have been confused about the law but its only if the bike motor purely operates on the throttle without being peddled that is illegal and if it old enough before the law was changed anyway it is still legal to be used without peddling.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 12 Nov 2020, 9:30pm

I am looking to take away the throttle on my e bike.
How would you moderate the power output of the electric motor?
byyeee,
SiE

hemo

Postby hemo » 12 Nov 2020, 11:26pm

Any decent controller kits or ebikes will have separate PAS and throttle input, so no throttle should pose no issue.
Simply disconnect the throttle at the controller then test ride to make sure all is well, rhen you can remove throttle altogether when happy.