Charging Batteries on campsites

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
arnsider

Charging Batteries on campsites

Post by arnsider »

This is obviously going to emerge as an issue sooner or later.
Presently, only hook up's are going to offer the facility of charging your e bike battery. Only people with camper vans and motor homes and the odd family tent unit are going to have the requisite leads and terminals.
I wonder, has anyone come across a site owner with a facility for plugging in a battery charger overnight?
Oldjohnw

Re: Charging Batteries on campsites

Post by Oldjohnw »

I always plan ahead and ask the owner if I might charge in the office overnight. Only once had a refusal so arranged it with the pub next door.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

arnsider wrote: Only people with camper vans and motor homes and the odd family tent unit are going to have the requisite leads and terminals.

Wouldn't you just use a short connector? I've used a borrowed one to charge my phone and now occasionally carry one of my own. I didn't think there was a problem though I know very little about these things. Most campsites not only have electricty points but often nowadays all pitches have them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

When I’ve been on a campsite I usually eye up the nearby caravans and motor homes who are on hook up. Decide who looks the friendliest and walk over with my usb plug, cable and device needing charged. Ask them nicely would they mind charging xyz for me. I’ve yet to be refused as they’ve paid for the electricity anyway and it’s not costing them any more to do a favour.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is that USB to charge an eBike battery or devices such as satnavs and 'phones?

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:Is that USB to charge an eBike battery or devices such as satnavs and 'phones?

Jonathan

That’s just devices Jonathan mostly just my battery pack.
An Ebike battery might be being a bit cheeky especially with low amperage hook ups. How many amps does their charger use btw.?
I’ve just noticed this thread is in electric bikes :|
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From observation of a few others with eBikes in France, Germany and Netherlands, people seem to leave them on charge in the offices overnight (but I was not cycling with others so that is just an observation as and when I noticed). Issue with that is you cannot recover your batteries until the office opens so no early departures.

For devices I use a solar panel but have found a couple of campsites have offered to loan be mains adapters (for free use of the power hook-ups, "lust leave the adapter outside the office when you depart") and sometimes people in campervans have "if you need anything charged you are welcome to use our mains". But these are occasionally and I guess an eBike needs a reliable re-charge option.

Whilst on some sites you may get a "plot" which likely has a hook-up often it's "find a space in the field for your tent" with no power hook-ups available (even if you had an adapter). Some Netherlands and a lot of Germany (in my experience) in like this. But use "mini-camping" in Netherlands and they'll be running mains to wherever you want ... (they take so much care of you e.g. I've have mini-camping proprietors bringing through garden furniture from their private garden to I "can be comfortable" and one place seeing my solar panel immediately strung several extension leads together so I could use their mains).

I have left USB charger and small rechargeable battery in the toilet blocks overnight (if they are stolen then annoying but not a disaster) - but I assume an eBike battery being stolen would be more of a disaster.

Ian
Jdsk

Charging eBike batteries on campsites

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:I’ve just noticed this thread is in electric bikes

Caught me out too. Worth amending the Subject?

Jonathan
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Interesting variety of replies here and thanks. I admit I favour the up front and forward tactic of simply approaching a friendly looking "Neighbour" and offering a small contribution (Say £2). That will work fine until the issue becomes more "public" when some sort of protocol will have to emerge.
Theft or tampering from unattended, insecure charging areas may well become an issue that site owners address, but will naturally seek commercial reimbursement. With the flight limitations on holidays and the need for exclusive accomodation, camping may well become a lot more popular and sadly more expensive and less of the budget break it now is. Such pressure on sites, in particular those in popular National Parks may well see restrictions on vehicular access which might really increase cycle camping, which is facilitated by the carrying capacity of E Bikes.
Isn't it about time organisations like National trust drew away from the sort of Glamping nonesense that sees sites like Great Langdale nothing more than pop up towns? Would not a simple site exclusive to walkers and cyclists be a better way forward for honey pots?
stodd

Post by stodd »

How many amps does their charger use btw.?
A typical charger generates 2amps at 36v, so must be consuming around 0.3 amp at 240v, say 0.5 amp to allow for inefficiencies. Some generate nearer 4amps out, so around 1amp in.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I always put a couple of quid in the site's
Charity box when I use their office charing facilities.
John
andyj27

Post by andyj27 »

I've had my first ebike less than a year, and haven't had the chance to do a camping road trip yet.

But my plan is to take a Bosch fast charger with me and have coffee, lunch or dinner somewhere (each day) where they'll let me put my battery on charge for an hour or more. If I get caught short, I'll avoid the hills for a while!

The charger gives my powerpack 500 a 50% charge in just over an hour, and weighs just under a kilo. Most days I anticipate using about 70% charge which will get me thru a hilly 50 miles or so.