New (Giant) e bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
swscotland bentrider

New (Giant) e bike

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I've been reading the threads on here for a number of months, ever since a knee issue persuaded me to give up riding recumbents. I've read with some amusement and interest many of the comments. Some bedded more in prejudice than experience, others enlightening. My conventional bikes were fine but my creaky knees didn't like steep hills. So Ive bought myself a Giant Fastroad E+2. I've been a keen cyclist since the age of 15, I'm now 71. I wanted an E bike that felt like a conventional bike but with assistance to flatten the hills. I test rode several in different formats and price points and concluded that torque sensing systems give the most natural feel to the assistance. Ive done about 50 miles on the Giant and these are my first impressions.

I found out quickly that the the way i rode didn't change -the same (moderate) intensity, just that it produced a slightly higher average as I climbed a little better. On the flat I found the bike happily cruising above the 25kph limit and as I slowed for a rise in the road the motor cuts in very subtly. On steep hills you can feel the motor respond to your effort. The level of assistance mirrors my effort quite intelligently so that if I am soft tapping away there is little extra but as I press harder as I reach a slope, up goes the power. Very clever and a very enjoyable ride. The bike is nicely made too.

I still came back feeling that I've been out for a ride. This promises to be a tool for exploring further afield and over hillier terrain without coming back feeling too beaten up. :D

Its proving expensive though. I went out with my wife. She on her hybrid, me on the Giant with the motor off. All was well until we got to a hill. "Switch it on" she said "i want to see what its like" Well I did, and lit off like a scalded cat! I could hear her laughing a hundred yards behind me! I waited and when we met it was "I want one"! Ah well!
Jdsk

Re: New (Giant) e bike

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds great.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan
stodd

Post by stodd »

Or try an electric tandem. That way things have to be very wrong before you travel at different speeds.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am pleased for you. And your experience mirrors my own. I have been touring/camping with mine (a hybrid with retro-fitted motor) several times a year for 4 years now. Transformational!

Although at one time quite a bit of unpleasantness from some on these pages.

But otherwise only positive.
John
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Glad it’s worked out - buy another for her ASAP :-)
As far as unpleasant comments - treat them all with the contempt they deserve
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I congratulate you on your thinking and purchase. Your early history and age similar to me. My knees are fine luckily but my chest and asthma benefits from the extra help my ebike affords.
I nipped out yesterday to deliver some cards to friends in nearby villages ( saving on the postage) and decided to give the cannondale a run. A couple of grunt hills which normally tax me on my tourer but not so on the ebike. As you say though you still know you have been out for a ride.

I am sure you will be very pleased with the Giant the more you use it. Buy one for your wife. My wife had hers before mine and that helped my decision.

Have fun.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Oldjohnw wrote:I am pleased for you. And your experience mirrors my own. I have been touring/camping with mine (a hybrid with retro-fitted motor) several times a year for 4 years now. Transformational!

How do you charge the battery when touring/ camping?

I now know what range anxiety means!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

samsbike wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I am pleased for you. And your experience mirrors my own. I have been touring/camping with mine (a hybrid with retro-fitted motor) several times a year for 4 years now. Transformational!

How do you charge the battery when touring/ camping?

I now know what range anxiety means!

I have to plan ahead. If I am wild camping I need to top up at pubs/cafes. I tend to phone ahead and always ask. If on a campsite, again, I ask when booking up. They almost always oblige and let me leave the battery in the office overnight.

It does restrict spontaneity, unfortunately. That is the price I have to pay.
John
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Thanks John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

samsbike wrote:Thanks John

Cheers and good luck in your travels.
John