Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
foxychick
Posts: 286
Joined: 5 Jul 2012, 12:05am

Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby foxychick » 17 Dec 2020, 9:17pm

Been taking a look at electric bikes and they seem very overpriced compared to the same specification as a non electric bike, some are between £1500 to £2000 more expensive than the equivalent non electric version.

rjb
Posts: 4220
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby rjb » 17 Dec 2020, 10:23pm

The same elements that go into an electric bike are similar to a cordless electric drill.
You get a battery pack, motor, speed controller and a battery charger. The items on a bike are all seperate with a few extra safety features but this shouldn't significantly increase the price, so it looks like an electric bike should cost no more than an increase of £200 on a similar non electric bike. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Cyril Haearn » 18 Dec 2020, 7:31am

No they are too cheap
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5735
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Oldjohnw » 18 Dec 2020, 7:51am

Cyril Haearn wrote:No they are too cheap


How is that?
John

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby PH » 18 Dec 2020, 8:10am

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:No they are too cheap


How is that?

They make too much noise going over his bridge.

Jdsk
Posts: 5151
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Jdsk » 18 Dec 2020, 8:50am

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:No they are too cheap

How is that?

They make too much noise going over his bridge.

My guess is that if they were more expensive it would stop OTHER PEOPLE buying them and ENJOYING THEMSELVES.

Jonathan

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3510
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby roubaixtuesday » 18 Dec 2020, 8:53am

I suspect Betteridge applies here

There's a very large market now for electric bikes and lots of competition.

Why would they be overpriced?

(other than the fact all bikes are in short supply at the moment, so could be a short term effect)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridg ... _headlines

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Cyril Haearn » 18 Dec 2020, 9:04am

They are too cheap like many other things, people buy too much stuff
Some on these fora may use them sensibly just to get up hill

But there are plenty of young rowdies who use them to go too fast*, they might go twice as fast as they would on a simple cycle

* speed kills
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 18 Dec 2020, 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Bonzo Banana
Posts: 133
Joined: 5 Feb 2017, 11:58am

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Bonzo Banana » 18 Dec 2020, 9:22am

EU puts a tariff of up to 80% on fully assembled ebikes from China so many have more local assembly either in mainland Europe or the UK which adds to costs. So maybe it will be one of the items that gets cheaper after January 1st depending on what tariffs the UK keeps. I did read that we may have a free trade agreement with Vietnam and they make many ebikes there so that could be a good source of ebikes.

Good quality battery cells aren't cheap though and leaving the EU without a deal will mean the value of the £ will take a hit at least in the short term so our buying power of imported goods will reduce although on the plus side exports will be cheaper maybe even enough to eliminate the effect of WTO tariff levels at least for the lower tariffs like 2.5% but outside the EU many goods will be much cheaper sourced from outside the EU.

Ultimately ebikes should become cheaper in the near future whether we get a deal or not.

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4904
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Audax67 » 18 Dec 2020, 10:06am

Cyril Haearn wrote:No they are too cheap


:D

Yeah, since my usual cycling chum got one he's a right pain in the ass to ride with. Bloody things should cost twice as much.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5735
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Oldjohnw » 18 Dec 2020, 10:46am

Houses are too cheap. Why on earth should people other than me have one.
John

reohn2
Posts: 40621
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2020, 10:53am

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:No they are too cheap


How is that?

They make too much noise going over his bridge.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2
Posts: 40621
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2020, 11:08am

Check out the price of this motorcycle:- https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/ran ... ons.html#/ look carefully at the amount of engineering that goes into it or any other motorcycle FTM,and particularly Royal Enfield.
Compare them with the engineering that goes into e-bikes and it becomes apparent there's no comparison where actual value for money is concerned.
And yes I know there's other things to consider running a motorcycle but that's not part of the discussion,the question is,are e-bike way overpriced and the answer is.Yes,by a large margin.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Boring_Username
Posts: 110
Joined: 2 Mar 2017, 2:38pm

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby Boring_Username » 18 Dec 2020, 11:15am

reohn2 wrote:Check out the price of this motorcycle:- https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/ran ... ons.html#/ look carefully at the amount of engineering that goes into it or any other motorcycle FTM,and particularly Royal Enfield.
Compare them with the engineering that goes into e-bikes and it becomes apparent there's no comparison where actual value for money is concerned.
And yes I know there's other things to consider running a motorcycle but that's not part of the discussion,the question is,are e-bike way overpriced and the answer is.Yes,by a large margin.


Utility motorcycles are typically bought by people on low incomes.
E-bikes are typically bought by people on high incomes.

I think that explains a lot of the difference in pricing.

reohn2
Posts: 40621
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2020, 11:21am

Boring_Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Check out the price of this motorcycle:- https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/ran ... ons.html#/ look carefully at the amount of engineering that goes into it or any other motorcycle FTM,and particularly Royal Enfield.
Compare them with the engineering that goes into e-bikes and it becomes apparent there's no comparison where actual value for money is concerned.
And yes I know there's other things to consider running a motorcycle but that's not part of the discussion,the question is,are e-bike way overpriced and the answer is.Yes,by a large margin.


Utility motorcycles are typically bought by people on low incomes.
E-bikes are typically bought by people on high incomes.

I think that explains a lot of the difference in pricing.


You're probably right in part,but not all e-bikes are just toys,some are or could be a means of transport were the price right.
That said electric motorcycles are grossly overpriced and their range limiting .
-----------------------------------------------------------