Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
UpWrong

Re: Are Electric Bikes Way Overpriced

Postby UpWrong » 27 Dec 2020, 8:29am

Oldjohnw wrote:A Vespa Ellectrica cost less than £5,000. Zero RFL, 32mph, 50 miles range.

A good shopping/commuting firm of transport?

Way overpriced. See the super soco range of electric motorbikes. Hub drive, no chain. Deep joy.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 27 Dec 2020, 9:43am

UpWrong wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:A Vespa Ellectrica cost less than £5,000. Zero RFL, 32mph, 50 miles range.

A good shopping/commuting firm of transport?

Way overpriced. See the super soco range of electric motorbikes. Hub drive, no chain. Deep joy.

I want one! And there's a 10% lockdown discount on top of the government 20% grant. The lowest priced scooter is about 2k but I think the cpx would be my choice at £3239

https://supersoco.co.uk/

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Dec 2020, 10:07am

Cowsham wrote: I want one! And there's a 10% lockdown discount on top of the government 20% grant. The lowest priced scooter is about 2k but I think the cpx would be my choice at £3239

https://supersoco.co.uk/

Yes,on paper the CPX appears to be good value,practical and able to keep up with local traffic,an alternative to the car without doubt.
-----------------------------------------------------------

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 27 Dec 2020, 10:23am

you get what you pay for...go cheap....get crap ...My mate bought an ebike from QVC for less than £800....You never saw such a pile of crap....no tech support, no parts availability and battery failed after 3 months....sent back !

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 27 Dec 2020, 1:31pm

cyclemad wrote:you get what you pay for...go cheap....get crap ...My mate bought an ebike from QVC for less than £800....You never saw such a pile of crap....no tech support, no parts availability and battery failed after 3 months....sent back !

Yes those elife bikes from qvc look like rubbish.

This would be a better option for about £1k if the brakes were hydraulic instead of Tektro Mechanical Disc Brakes with 180mm rotors -- could do with 200mm rotors too.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 27 Dec 2020, 8:09pm

There are many mature people,who having never cycled seriously,now have two pensions and few outgoings.They use their surplus funds to indulge themselves with frequent holidays.This outlet for their hedonistic tendencies has been frustrated by Covid,so they turned to buying electric bikes,often in couples.There were no second-hand bikes available,and so retailers have exploited a sellers' market with great facility.They have simply put bikes on sale at high prices knowing their market is indiscriminate flush consumers with no experience of such bikes.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 27 Dec 2020, 8:53pm

Yep -- always happens -- I was going to say "fools in first as usual" but you have to bear in mind if your at a certain age you may want to experience cycling like you did when you were young and I suppose this is a way to do that before you get too old to enjoy it so I'd never judge somebody in case that somebody is me some day.

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 28 Dec 2020, 12:11am

Cowsham wrote:
cyclemad wrote:you get what you pay for...go cheap....get crap ...My mate bought an ebike from QVC for less than £800....You never saw such a pile of crap....no tech support, no parts availability and battery failed after 3 months....sent back !

This would be a better option for about £1k if the brakes were hydraulic instead of Tektro Mechanical Disc Brakes with 180mm rotors -- could do with 200mm rotors too.

I have a KTM Ebike with 180 front and 160 rear...no braking issues ...use resin pads and cheap shimano RT66 Rotors....

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 28 Dec 2020, 11:50am

cyclemad wrote:
Cowsham wrote:

I have a KTM Ebike with 180 front and 160 rear...no braking issues ...use resin pads and cheap shimano RT66 Rotors....

Does the resin build up on the rotors?

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 28 Dec 2020, 2:32pm

No not at all. Better stopping than sintered pads and the rotors last longer ..however as we know resin pads wear out quicker .

Simon1980

Postby Simon1980 » 28 Dec 2020, 5:24pm

I paid £1000 for my ebike and its probably the best thing I've ever bought. You whizz along with little effort. I just have to move my legs and let the bike do the work. Same with hills just a little slower. Is has been trouble free for 15 months then the freewheel or free hub got sticky. I registered on here to get advise on that

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 28 Dec 2020, 7:18pm

Simon1980 wrote:I paid £1000 for my ebike and its probably the best thing I've ever bought. You whizz along with little effort. I just have to move my legs and let the bike do the work. Same with hills just a little slower. Is has been trouble free for 15 months then the freewheel or free hub got sticky. I registered on here to get advise on that

What did you buy?