Questions about E-bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
milestone85

Questions about E-bike

Postby milestone85 » 28 Dec 2020, 1:20pm

So I'm not a big shopper and after so many years I found something I really want to buy - an e-bike. However, E-Bikes come with a huge price tag (at least that's what my wallet feels) and I'm afraid if I get this bike stolen I would be sad and depressed. The decathlon bike I want to get comes around €700

I would like to know if there is a guaranteed way or at least a super secure way to prevent a bike from getting stolen? My work has no private parking stand so it will be parked in public. I pay €1200 in public transportation annually so as long as retain this for 8 months or more its a win for me.

Bonus question, does E-Bikes need a lot of maintenance?

stodd

Re: Questions about E-bike

Postby stodd » 28 Dec 2020, 2:26pm

You may have difficultly finding an e-bike in stock; they've been so popular the last few months. Another good place to look is Woosh (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/), good reputation for customer service and sensible bikes at a good price.

Important to think of how you will use the bike. How much effort will you put in yourself? Is it hilly? What range do you need? Will it be all on road, a few good paths, or significant off road?

Beware the 'up to' range quoted on many cheaper bikes. Often calculated on minimal assist, perfect flat road with very fully pumped tyres, light rider, etc etc. If it is at all hilly and you use medium assist you will be lucky to get 1/2 the 'up to', maybe only 1/3. If you check the Bosch Range Assistant (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/) you can play with the variables and see the difference. It won't give you precise distances and you need a little interpretation for battery size and motor type but with thought can be applied to non-Bosch bikes. However, it will give good comparisons of different conditions etc. You will find it easy to get it to give ranges of 100 miles if you set all the parameters optimistically, and just a few tweaks and it can fall to 30 miles on the same battery, even without using highest assist level.

Very difficult to stop a bike being stolen, especially if it is regularly parked in the same place in public. Remove the battery if possible, it reduces risk of casual theft and is also a significant part of the value of a bike. If you get a folder you may be able to smuggle it into work?

They don't need much maintenance above and beyond what you give a normal bike. You need to be a bit careful with battery charging. Don't keep it on full charge for too long. Don't let it get really low either (especially if our of use for a month or more in winter). Don't charge it at too low a temperature (below 4 or 5 degrees). If you keep it for 4 to 5 years or so it will need a new battery; check price and availability of that if you think it might be relevant. Most cheaper bikes have generic Chinese parts which means battery replacement is fairly easy and cheap, but some have custom batteries that might be very difficult to replace when the time comes. Many more expensive bikes (eg Bosch electrics) have absurdly expensive replacement batteries.

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Dec 2020, 2:42pm

An ebike locked up for long hours in the same spot day in day out will disappear I reckon within a week or two, once it is noticed.
£700 might seem a lot but in ebike terms it is at the very cheap end of bikes, but that won't stop someone nicking it.
Always remove the battery if leaving for more then a few minutes, no amount of locks will stop scum nicking your bike, a cordless mini grinder will be through any lock within seconds.

Ebikes don't like being sat in standing rain for hours on end though riding in rain tends not to be an issue.

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 30 Dec 2020, 5:43am

For a lock I suggest watching these videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxIbAFnmsIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pywN558dJaU
I would also remove the battery when you secure the bike.
If it is an economical ebike (less than 1,000) it is not as a big a target as the high end ebikes
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 30 Dec 2020, 7:22pm

To be brutally honest, as has already been said, that sort of price for an ebike is seriously at the low end! In some ways it might almost negate the chance of it being stolen!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity