Fazua range

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
borisface

Fazua range

Postby borisface » 28 Dec 2020, 4:03pm

Hi all,

So we currently have a cube hybrid ebike which has a Bosch alp motor and 500 w/h battery. It's great, powerful and a huge range. We live in the mountains and so 25 miles can have 1000 m of climbing. The most I've got from the cube is 60 miles and 2000m ascent. The issue with it is we bought it mainly for my wife to use and so it's a flat bar, is too upright and a bit on the small side for me. It's also 25kgs.

I'm thinking of getting a road bike with a fazua motor - the focus paralane2 is favourite at the moment, weighing in at 14kgs. I was wondering what range (mileage and ascent) are people with fazua equipped ebikes getting on a charge?

stodd

Re: Fazua range

Postby stodd » 28 Dec 2020, 5:14pm

I guess you've already looked at the reviews. I think that kind of bike is going to have a range that is even more variable than a typical e-bike depending how you use it. Many users will have it turned off almost all the time except the hills; and even if they haven't turned it off they will be riding above 25kph and the motor should turn itself off. If you use it like you use the Cube you'll get about 1/2 the mileage (from the 250wh battery).

Just in case you haven't seen it: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... -7-review/
The range of the Paralane², like any e-bike, depends on how much you rely on it. On a normal ride I eked out 68.5 miles / 110.2km and 1,650m / 5,413ft of elevation with some clever use of the controller (switching off when not needed).

On a ride using the power constantly (switching between modes and staying below 16mph) I got 36.5miles / 58.7km with 760m / 2,493ft of elevation.

bikercolin

Postby bikercolin » 28 Dec 2020, 8:43pm

I have a Cain bike with Fazua, and weigh 94kg.
With it always set to eco mode I would get around 75km, with around 1000m of climbing.
When touring I carry a spare battery, but find with bags on tour im looking at around 60km a battery.
Image Attachments
20200830_091314.jpg

borisface

Postby borisface » 29 Dec 2020, 10:22am

stodd wrote:I guess you've already looked at the reviews. I think that kind of bike is going to have a range that is even more variable than a typical e-bike depending how you use it. Many users will have it turned off almost all the time except the hills; and even if they haven't turned it off they will be riding above 25kph and the motor should turn itself off. If you use it like you use the Cube you'll get about 1/2 the mileage (from the 250wh battery).

Just in case you haven't seen it: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... -7-review/
The range of the Paralane², like any e-bike, depends on how much you rely on it. On a normal ride I eked out 68.5 miles / 110.2km and 1,650m / 5,413ft of elevation with some clever use of the controller (switching off when not needed).

On a ride using the power constantly (switching between modes and staying below 16mph) I got 36.5miles / 58.7km with 760m / 2,493ft of elevation.

Thanks for the link. It does seem that a judicious use of the on/off switch might be called for. Typically for me a 2hr ride will consist of 1.5hrs climbing and 30 mins flat/descent. Unfortunately, I don't think it's quite as straightforward as saying a 250wh battery is going to give half the range of a 500wh one, logical though that is. My understanding is that the Bosch provides more support than the Fazua and so relatively has a shorter range. I read somewhere that the highest power of the fazua is about equivalent to tour mode on the Bosch. In other words eco in the Bosch provides more assistance than the lowest fazua setting. So if the Bosch eco gives a max of say, 120 watts, and the lowest assistance in the fazua gives a max of say, 80 watts, the Bosch system will last C. 4 hours and the Fazua c. 3 hours. I guess if I'm finding myself short on range I can either pedal more or get a spare battery.

borisface

Postby borisface » 29 Dec 2020, 10:26am

bikercolin wrote:I have a Cain bike with Fazua, and weigh 94kg.
With it always set to eco mode I would get around 75km, with around 1000m of climbing.
When touring I carry a spare battery, but find with bags on tour im looking at around 60km a battery.

Thanks for that. You're a similar weight to me. That's a decent range. I read somewhere that when the battery reaches a certain level,IIRC 20%, it reduces the amount of power supplied - is this noticeable?

With the spare battery is it easy to swap it out?

amoto65

Postby amoto65 » 29 Dec 2020, 11:18am

Have you had a look at the Specialized Creo? I went from a Carrera Crossfuse with a Bosch ALP motor to a Specialized Creo Comp Carbon Evo a few months a go, The Specialized weighs in at 14kg whereas the Carrera was 23kg we have a lot of climbing around the Peak District and I have found it much easier with the Specialized even though on paper it has less power 35Nm. The transition from pedal assist to leg power at the cutoff is seamless and the power settings can be customized with the mission control app. On the factory eco setting I am getting about 90 mile range on average.

borisface

Postby borisface » 29 Dec 2020, 4:17pm

amoto65 wrote:Have you had a look at the Specialized Creo? I went from a Carrera Crossfuse with a Bosch ALP motor to a Specialized Creo Comp Carbon Evo a few months a go, The Specialized weighs in at 14kg whereas the Carrera was 23kg we have a lot of climbing around the Peak District and I have found it much easier with the Specialized even though on paper it has less power 35Nm. The transition from pedal assist to leg power at the cutoff is seamless and the power settings can be customized with the mission control app. On the factory eco setting I am getting about 90 mile range on average.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at the specialized at all. I like the fact that the battery is a bit bigger than the Fazua equipped bikes and like the range you're getting. My slight concern is that they seem a bit pricey that is another £1000 or so compared to what I can get the Focus for. But I'll have a more detailed look.

Gangzoom

Postby Gangzoom » 31 Dec 2020, 5:27am

Don't forget cold weather + headwind will also reduce range.

I recently did a 25 mile loop with 1300ft and used about 50% battery on my Fauza powered Boardman. This would equate to 700 meters of climbing before the battery fully dies.

Note my average speed was quicker than the 15.5mph motor support cut off, so the motor really was only on during inclines but also during headwind sections. I should also add motor was mainly set at 100watts max support, on max power mode (300watts) you can easily halve the range/climbing ability.

I really like my Fauza but its best to think of it as a pedal assistant bike that makes things a bit easier (so good for fitness) rather than an eBike where you don't have to do any work.

Gangzoom

Postby Gangzoom » 31 Dec 2020, 5:37am

I should add in the summer I was getting much more range, roughly 50% more.

Yes boost performance drops off noticeably when the battery charge is below 40-50%. The last 20% can dissappear very very quickly especially in the cold.