what power/speed would you like if no regulations

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: what power/speed would you like if no regulations

Post by Jdsk »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Wouldn't an electric bike and trailer mean lots of people who wouldn't otherwise consider it, would be happy to try towingtheir weekly shop home etc rather than use the sledge hammer of an electricity guzzling electric car? And thus perhaps not consider they 'need' a car.

Why would they do that in the future if they don't do it now?

Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 7 Feb 2021, 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Because electric bikes are getting more popular and fossil fuel cars are on the way out...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Those are observations, not reasons to switch to eBikes with trailers.

And shouldn't that include "... and battery cars that are like ic cars are becoming more common"?

Perhaps you're thinking that many more people won't own a car at all... ?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That switch (!) to using an eBike and trailer feels to me to rely on at least one of:
• People no longer owning a car.
• A change in incentives so that the bike is chosen for the particular journey.

The availability of eBikes might not unlock this... on its own...

Jonathan
CJ

Post by CJ »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
cj wrote:...
We were deliberately careful not to let EAPCs be particularly attractive to young and able-bodied people. ....

Wouldn't an electric bike and trailer mean lots of people who wouldn't otherwise consider it, would be happy to try towingtheir weekly shop home etc rather than use the sledge hammer of an electricity guzzling electric car? And thus perhaps not consider they 'need' a car.

I'm sure that's another unanticipated good application of EAPCs. And I'm sure some people are already doing that. A lot of cargo bikes have electrical assistance as standard or a popular option. As for "lots of people who wouldn't otherwise consider it": I'm afraid the main reason lots of people won't consider using a bike for shopping is they won't consider using a bike for anything - not until these islands become a much more cycling-friendly place to be!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just before the pandemic I was looking at using a trailer with my Ebike for main shopping. But along came Covid and my own sensitivity to disease so my wife took over shopping with me as chauffeur until we were able to secure deliveries last July.
John
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Oldjohnw wrote:Just before the pandemic I was looking at using a trailer with my Ebike for main shopping. But along came Covid and my own sensitivity to disease so my wife took over shopping with me as chauffeur until we were able to secure deliveries last July.

Why not a chair on the bike trailer for your wife (rickshaw style), and space for the shopping... Bike trailer and chauffeur all in one

:D :D

On the serious side, thanks Chris J for the post outlining how the regulations were constructed.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Nigel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Just before the pandemic I was looking at using a trailer with my Ebike for main shopping. But along came Covid and my own sensitivity to disease so my wife took over shopping with me as chauffeur until we were able to secure deliveries last July.

Why not a chair on the bike trailer for your wife (rickshaw style), and space for the shopping... Bike trailer and chauffeur all in one

:D :D

On the serious side, thanks Chris J for the post outlining how the regulations were constructed.

Glad you showed smilies!
John
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:As someone who commuted with electric assist for a few years...

I'd leave the speed limit where it is (no assistance beyond 15mph) but not limit the power significantly. The reason behind the thinking is to maintain a relatively high minimum speed (e.g. up that short sharp hill everyone seems to have at least one of on their common routes) rather than to have an electric motorcycle.

Could even specify a maximum acceleration (.5g?) along with the maximum speed, and have the controller sort that out rather than using a wimpy motor.

5g acceleration would be good, the Tesla of bikes... :shock: