Baganda 750 W motor power limiting

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jwp44

Baganda 750 W motor power limiting

Post by Jwp44 »

I’ve been offered a good deal on a Bafang 750 W conversion kit. Does anyone know how easy it is to limit the power output to 250 W to comply with the law?
stodd

Re: Baganda 750 W motor power limiting

Post by stodd »

It is the nominal power that counts, and switches to change power are not allowed either (at least if any of the settings are above the limit), so you cannot legally use it. A bit silly, most nominal 250w motors generate over 500w peak, many over 750w. (To be fair, It is extremely difficult/impossible to draft a law so that all the edge cases are sensible.)

If you ride sensibly the chances of being caught are very low, and being charged even lower, but I'm afraid you cannot make it strictly legal (unless you register it as S-pedalec)
hemo

Post by hemo »

One could try altering the current in the adv settings, though to do this you need to buy a programming cable and download the free software. Problem then with lowering current is the motor will likely run in efficiently. Even so doing this the motor won't be legal as it will be marked 750w.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

hemo wrote:One could try altering the current in the adv settings, though to do this you need to buy a programming cable and download the free software. Problem then with lowering current is the motor will likely run in efficiently. Even so doing this the motor won't be legal as it will be marked 750w.

As I understand it it won't be legal because it's not marked 250W Not trying to be a pedant but simply removing a sticker that indicates it's 750W won't make it legal (or not illegal).
hemo

Post by hemo »

Yes no matter what anyone does it won't be legal, the BBS don't have sticker the motor/controller is laser etched.