Throttle on the left or right

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
ndwgolf

Throttle on the left or right

Post by ndwgolf »

Im waiting for the new Bafang 750w Mid motor kit to arrive and wondered where to place the throttle?......Most youtube videos show them on the left hand side but being right handed Im thinking of using mine on the right,,,,,,,,,thoughts??

Neil
simonineaston

Re: Throttle on the left or right

Post by simonineaston »

My thumb throttle is on the right, of course! Imagine the fun & frollicks that used to happen back in the old days - I've heard that various models had throttles on the left or the right & some wound forwards and some wound backwards. Yikes!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hemo

Post by hemo »

Throttle is illegal as the kit is post 2016, just so you know.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

hemo wrote:Throttle is illegal as the kit is post 2016, just so you know.

You don't know what he's doing with the bike?
Plus it's a 750w motor so I suspect the legality of the throttle is of little concern.

But definitely on the right - it's just where they should be.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Yes, throttle on the right, clutch on the left. And fit your gear change so as you can use it with your left foot. And of course your right pedal will be for the rear brake.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Thanks for the feedback.........my plan is to put it on the right. The 500C display will go on the left and my Wahoo display will stay in the centre as this monitors my heart rate along with all the other stuff but good to see how many Heinekens I can have after the ride to cancel out the calories burned :D
Neil
Syd

Post by Syd »

kwackers wrote:You don't know what he's doing with the bike?

Exactly.

Though not knowing is a catalyst for such comments.

Maybe the OP would like to clear this one up?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

ndwgolf wrote:Thanks for the feedback.........my plan is to put it on the right. The 500C display will go on the left and my Wahoo display will stay in the centre as this monitors my heart rate along with all the other stuff but good to see how many Heinekens I can have after the ride to cancel out the calories burned :D
Neil

with a 750w motor and a throttle will you burn any calories ? I take it the throttle is to over-ride assist and as such convert your bike into a motor bike ?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The throttle on my retrofit works on the flat when I don't need it and is useless on a hill when I might like it.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:The throttle on my retrofit works on the flat when I don't need it and is useless on a hill when I might like it.

The Bafang mid drive units don't have torque sensitive assist (or didn't), they're pretty much on or off when you start peddling (with some profiled power curves obvs).

The throttle ime can be handy on such units for gentle manoeuvring in dense traffic since it's easy to creep with it.
I did use it once when someone had a bonfire of something particularly nasty going, couldn't see down the road at all so I took a deep breath stopped peddling and hit the throttle. 400 yards later I popped out the other side a purple colour. Couldn't have done that if I'd had to put any effort in.

Plus with my Bafang unit, if you put it on max assist and then peddle AND put the throttle on max it ignores power and speed limits - a bug? Dunno, but I found it handy when overtaking traffic.
Last edited by kwackers on 16 Jan 2021, 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Syd wrote:

Exactly.

Why though?
So the internet police can get on their case?
Syd

Post by Syd »

kwackers wrote:
Syd wrote:

Exactly.

Why though?
So the internet police can get on their case?

No, so that they can dispel any suggestion of misdemeanour.
hemo

Post by hemo »

kwackers wrote:
hemo wrote:Throttle is illegal as the kit is post 2016, just so you know.

You don't know what he's doing with the bike?
Plus it's a 750w motor so I suspect the legality of the throttle is of little concern.

But definitely on the right - it's just where they should be.

Your right I don't know but unless the user/builder is going to take the bike to a MSVA centre to licence it, it will not ne legal nor will the bike any way.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

hemo wrote:Your right I don't know but unless the user/builder is going to take the bike to a MSVA centre to licence it, it will not ne legal nor will the bike any way.

Why is it not legal?
Where does it say you can't own a 750 watt bike with a throttle?

Are you confusing owning with using on public roads?
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Syd wrote:

Exactly.

The guys that I ride with all ride Road bikes (~5 bikes) I also have a Trek Madone SLR 7 road bike but I'm too fat to ride it (122kg), so I now take my Mountian bike.........problem is on any sort of hill I really struggle and I feel that my mates (even though they don't say anything, are pissed off having to wait for me all the time, hence having an ebike to take care of the hills. We normally ride about 50 to 70 kilometres
Out of that 50 to 70 kilometres there is really only about a total of 5 kilometres of hills, and slight hills at that but enough to slow me right down

Neil