Spare battery

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
ndwgolf

Spare battery

Post by ndwgolf »

Guys
Do any of you carry a spare battery in a backpack when you head out for a ride or do you just plan the ride to suit the battery size?
Just interested if I should be thinking of having a second battery with me......... plan to do ~45 miles on low PAS........ current battery 48w 17.5 ah
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Oldjohnw

Re: Spare battery

Post by Oldjohnw »

I can do 45+ on about three quarters of a charge, depending on terrain/weather/fitness on the day, so carrying a spare would not be a consideration. But I must admit, the thought of carrying one in a backpack makes me shudder! I have a rack battery and it is a brute.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

That's a pretty hefty battery, you should easily be able to do 45 miles and quite a bit more on low PAS, unless you are climbing lots of muddy hills. I'd hate to carry a battery in a backpack, especially one of that sort of size. We keep within battery range, but then most of our rides are well under 20 miles.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Thanks for the advice guys.......... I will hold off on buying a second battery
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
hemo

Post by hemo »

That is a 840wh battery I could probably wring 70-80 odd miles out of it, using low pas and approx 1200m of ascent.
A very fit rider 6 - 10 wh per mile, a regular rider with less fitness 10 - 20wh per mile and an unfit rider 20 -25wh per mile.
Wind, ascent, tyre pressure (low) and heavy riders use most Wh's as does any one who derestricts for speed.
Riding above the cut off if only 1 mph uses no wh's.
For flat terrain and down hill turn the assist to zero for gains.

To get an idea of total poss range keep riding the bike locally until the battery BMS cut's out, you will have reached the LVC (low voltage cut out) there is no harm in going to LVC now and then as it is a battery protection level.

The nearer one rides to the cut off speed, the less the current is drawn from the controller. At slow speeds is where max torque and current are drawn.