Swytch-e-bike-front-wheel-conversion review

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
KenR

Swytch-e-bike-front-wheel-conversion review

Post by KenR »

Why is CUK paying for this type of review? https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/tech- ... conversion

Having not specified the kit properly the least the reviewer could have done was to put it on an ordinary bike and tested it properly. It is after all one of the easiest and most popular conversions and I hear good reports.

And incidentally the "Panda" option is actually a Bafang the preferred choice of many CUK club cyclist. But why would anyone want to buy a kit which has been badged when the original is so readily available?
peterb

Re: Swytch-e-bike-front-wheel-conversion review

Post by peterb »

- what's an "ordinary bike"?
mjr

Post by mjr »

peterb wrote:- what's an "ordinary bike"?

Commonly known as a penny farthing, innit?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
philg

Post by philg »

KenR wrote:Having not specified the kit properly the least the reviewer could have done was to put it on an ordinary bike and tested it properly. It is after all one of the easiest and most popular conversions and I hear good reports.

The problem with the dropouts is common to just about all 'ordinary bikes' and all hub motors IME - the filing out of the dropouts is universally recommended and filing a bit from the depth sorts out the vertical wheel location.
I'm surprised about the hub fouling the forks though - my Swytch motor didn't foul on the Thorn Audax I fitted it to, whereas the 'Bafang type' supplied by Yosepower did.

It is a good system, though now a bit pricey

KenR wrote:And incidentally the "Panda" option is actually a Bafang the preferred choice of many CUK club cyclist. But why would anyone want to buy a kit which has been badged when the original is so readily available?

Unless you are prepared to import from China (a lot do) then buying a complete kit from a UK supplier like Panda or (preferably) Whoosh bikes is a good alternative.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

In another post about the Brompton Swytch Kit, the wheel fits the fork dropout perfectly!
They must have listened to complaints from earlier customers.
Re the sensor supplied for the review..... I have been sent 2 Brompton alternatives plus a universal..... I think these will fit many bikes. I’ll check out properly when I build it up. Confident the Brompton ones will work though!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Might I ask if these kits respond to applying brakes and changing gears?

On mine the motor switches off momentarily when you change gear or apply the brakes. Seems an important safety feature
John
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Oldjohnw wrote:Might I ask if these kits respond to applying brakes and changing gears?

On mine the motor switches off momentarily when you change gear or apply the brakes. Seems an important safety feature

You can choose to order brake sensors which cut the power when braking. However, the power delivery ceases when you stop pedalling.

I don’t know how that will pan out during gear changes with the Swytch but I’ve not noticed a problem on similar systems that I’ve tried.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

fivebikes wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Might I ask if these kits respond to applying brakes and changing gears?

You can choose to order brake sensors which cut the power when braking. However, the power delivery ceases when you stop pedalling.

I don’t know how that will pan out during gear changes with the Swytch but I’ve not noticed a problem on similar systems that I’ve tried.

Thanks
John
philg

Post by philg »

You can choose to fit cut off switches to the brakes and is recommended if you are going to fit a throttle, as they have a disconcerting habit of failing ON, allegedly.

Hub motors IME have no problems with gear shifting under power, especially ones like the Swytch which are front wheel drive.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
hemo

Post by hemo »

philg wrote:

You can choose to fit cut off switches to the brakes and is recommended if you are going to fit a throttle, as they have a disconcerting habit of failing ON, allegedly.

Hub motors IME have no problems with gear shifting under power, especially ones like the Swytch which are front wheel drive.

Generally no need for brake cut outs if a throttle isn't fitted.

Throttles cna go open in a couple of ways.
If moisture gets in to the throttle/wiring then shorting can occur rendering the throttle in open position. I had one go open via the so called julet waterproof plug, a clear track between two pins seen in the connector.
I also have had a broken signal wire in the harness that was intermittent, the bike would rear up on it own accord sometimes when walking along.
Cut outs are simply a switch, either a reed or hall sensor giving instant power interruption should a throttle go wrong, without them the controller can blow if just brakes are used with no cut outs
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I don't think the reviewer is used to having to do what needs to be done with a 'universal' kit of parts. Without a plentiful supply of bits and pieces under the bench, from old tv ariels to shelf brackets, years of surplus cycle spares and a mountain of zip ties, then you're lost. I also have a very good friend Mr Robinson, who never lets me down. Thanks Heath.

Cheers