New ebike advice please..

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: New ebike advice please..

Post by Jdsk »

Antbrewer wrote:With this wretched covid situation upsetting all our lives at the moment popping along to the GP isn't as easy as it was before the pandemic came along. If you haven't already Jags, from someone with a wealth of experience medically and also as a patient with a very serious cause of back issues I would urge you to find out the cause of your problem before spending money which might ultimately be a waste of money.

Yes. And as a general point please don't avoid seeking medical care because of the outbreak. Of course it is is more likely to start with 'phone or email than before.

Jonathan
jags

Post by jags »

Cheers for that I think I will hang on at least until this lockdown is lifted,I tried everywhere for the cube. No luck.
Still fancy the grand tour.looks to be well put together but like yourself I'll be changing a few things pedals saddle bars maybe not certain yet I need to get a test ride.
Anyway thanks for advice,always ask someone who knows :D
Cheers
Jags
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And back to metrology... the energy stored in a battery is energy and needs appropriate units of measurement such as Wh or joules. Not W, which is a unit suitable for measuring power.

And torque is torque, and needs something like N m. Not N.

Jonathan
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Jonathon

Apologies for my lack of correct labelling of energy or torque but you knew what I meant!

Dave
Last edited by saudidave on 15 Feb 2021, 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
jags

Post by jags »

Guys I'm looking at a haibike2.0 used but looks in pristine condition 1250 euro.id say size wise it's spot on obviously if I buy it will be ..what you see is what you get no comeback.
Should I buy or run a mile.
yamaha mid drive motor.36volt 250watt.
36volt 400watt battery
xt shimano
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I'd say that if it looks totally pristine and has low miles then the gamble is not that big. If it looks mint, hasn't gone very far and the seller has good feedback it's difficult to imagine that it's beyond redemption. I've had a lot of photographic gear off ebay and I've only had one lemon. I went through the ebay claims process and got my money refunded, so no gamble there.

This Motus Grand tour appears to be a reasonable buy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Motu ... Swq3dgCBqG

As does this Centros Grand Tour:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raliegh-Cent ... SwR6NgFD70

I'm after a Centros Grand Tour myself, just like that one with the Gates Belt Drive and 8 gear Nexus Hub, but I want a step thru. If it had been a step thru I'd have gone for that.

Dave
jags

Post by jags »

guy never got back to me so going to hang on until i can afford the grand tour .
hopefully this lockdown will ease up in the next month .
thanks Dave .
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I hope you can get a bike you want.

jags wrote:hopefully this lockdown will ease up in the next month .

But that would be very unwise.

Jonathan
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

The Grand tour is an excellent machine but the Centros Grand Tour, previously Releigh's top of the range , but currently unavailable, was the one to go for in my opinion, as the nexus hub gear version had a Gates belt drive, thus virtually no maintenance. The downtube integrated battery made it look a lot better too. It was rather expensive and in reality, no better spec than my Motus Grand Tour, which has the Nexus 8, not the 7. They downgraded from an 8 to a 7 on the Motus Grand tour when the Centros Grand Tour was launched.
jags

Post by jags »

cheers lads minefiels out there when it comes to buying a quality ebike
i know about road bike god knows i owned any amount of them down through the years what works and what doesnt ,
but when it comes to ebike my god it would wreck an old fellas head trying to buy the right one . :(

funny thing is i know exactly what i would like but prices go from 2000 up to 6000 crazy .
i want first a bike that fits me all my road bikes were 47m .
mid drive would be nice i reckon
500 watt battery
mudguards, lights, rear rack.
dont want suspension fork :shock:
the saddle pedals i can change myself :D
700 wheels
32 tyres or maybe a tad wider
2500max euro any dearer than that and im walking
am i living in fantasy land lads ..
DiggyGun

Post by DiggyGun »

I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour. It is the step through version, which does help with getting on and off. It has a 400 watt battery and I must admit that I have, so far, found the build quality to be very good.

I’ve had it about 16 months now and it is good for getting overweight 60 year old man out cycling, whereas, might not do so on a normal bike.

I’m up to around 400 miles now, which might not sound a lot, but I had the dreaded Long Covid last year, which messed me up from April to the October.

Good news, now back on the bike now I have my strength and energy back. Doing between 8-13 miles a day, which is an improvement on what I was doing pre-Covid. My stamina is improving and I can now go longer before needing a stop so small improvements all the time.

The bike riding and associated diet has allowed to lose 19kg so far, which a good step in the right direction. Power wise, I vary between Eco and Tour, about 90% of the time depending on the incline, sometimes using Sport and Turbo occasionally if the incline is a bit more. But I’m trying to use the gears more, rather than the power which will help with my overall fitness.

To summarise, I thoroughly recommend this bike, for me it is easy to use and of good build quality.
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

saudidave wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 11:39pm I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour bought new at xmas 2019.

It was atrociously assembled and I had many, many issues in the first 500-750 miles and also had to correct badly designed components. If I hadn’t been a competent bike mechanic I’d have given up on it. Mine is the nexus8 hub gear version with a 400 watt battery.

Once I’d sorted it out it became a brilliant machine and I’ve now done some 3000 miles on it. I’d go as far as to say it’s the best £2,000.00 I’ve ever spent. It’s comfortable, has a realistic range of 50-60 miles ridden in a mixture of eco and tour, and is just out and out fun. I’ve added a full set of Rixen and Kaul luggage, swapped the seat for a brooks B17, fitted ergo grips, Shimano double sided pedals flat/clip in, changed the tyres for Schwalbe Marathon plus, and also fitted a Thudbuster ST suspension seat post. I’ve also upped the gear ratios a tad as they were too low and I’ve installed a chain tensioner.

With hindsight I should have gone for a step thru and if the centros with integrated down tube battery had been available at the time I’d have got one of those instead.

How you can claim the eco mode is rubbish if you haven’t got one is beyond my comprehension but I can assure you it’s fine. I ride in it predominantly with maybe 20% use of tour. Sports and turbo I hardly ever use.

Final verdict; yes get one. Raleigh have now modified the mudguard bracket & fitted a chain tensioner which is essential on a hub version to avoid constant wheel adjustment. I do think I was unlucky with the assembly issue and it had obviously not been PDI checked.

Hope this helps, Dave
Dave, what chain tensioner have you fitted? I agree with your comments about poor assembly, I had a similar experience with rattling mudguards and misaligned brake callipers. Also agree gearing is too low as I was spinning out at 17mph, but easily rectified with a new £4 sprocket. As supplied tyres were rubbish; two pu*ct***s in first weeks. Replaced with Marathons. As supplied chain also very cheap;1% stretch after 500 miles. Bosch system is superbly smooth. I did 25 miles yesterday on ‘Tour’ mode and battery only dropped one bar.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Ivorcadaver wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 2:44pm
saudidave wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 11:39pm I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour bought new at xmas 2019.

It was atrociously assembled and I had many, many issues in the first 500-750 miles and also had to correct badly designed components. If I hadn’t been a competent bike mechanic I’d have given up on it. Mine is the nexus8 hub gear version with a 400 watt battery.

Once I’d sorted it out it became a brilliant machine and I’ve now done some 3000 miles on it. I’d go as far as to say it’s the best £2,000.00 I’ve ever spent. It’s comfortable, has a realistic range of 50-60 miles ridden in a mixture of eco and tour, and is just out and out fun. I’ve added a full set of Rixen and Kaul luggage, swapped the seat for a brooks B17, fitted ergo grips, Shimano double sided pedals flat/clip in, changed the tyres for Schwalbe Marathon plus, and also fitted a Thudbuster ST suspension seat post. I’ve also upped the gear ratios a tad as they were too low and I’ve installed a chain tensioner.

With hindsight I should have gone for a step thru and if the centros with integrated down tube battery had been available at the time I’d have got one of those instead.

How you can claim the eco mode is rubbish if you haven’t got one is beyond my comprehension but I can assure you it’s fine. I ride in it predominantly with maybe 20% use of tour. Sports and turbo I hardly ever use.

Final verdict; yes get one. Raleigh have now modified the mudguard bracket & fitted a chain tensioner which is essential on a hub version to avoid constant wheel adjustment. I do think I was unlucky with the assembly issue and it had obviously not been PDI checked.

Hope this helps, Dave
Dave, what chain tensioner have you fitted? I agree with your comments about poor assembly, I had a similar experience with rattling mudguards and misaligned brake callipers. Also agree gearing is too low as I was spinning out at 17mph, but easily rectified with a new £4 sprocket. As supplied tyres were rubbish; two pu*ct***s in first weeks. Replaced with Marathons. As supplied chain also very cheap;1% stretch after 500 miles. Bosch system is superbly smooth. I did 25 miles yesterday on ‘Tour’ mode and battery only dropped one bar.
I bought one off eBay that is identical to the one that Raleigh fit. I bolted it to one of those derailleur adaptors that they used to fit to ordinary frames, by bolting them to the mudguard fixing point of the forward facing drop out many years ago. I then bolted that to the chainstay via one of the slots in it using two bolts with nylon locking nuts andI aligned the star wheel of the tensioner by both bending the derailleur adaptor and using packing washers to one of the bolts. It works brilliantly. If you want some photos please text or phone me me on 07801 436446. I’m in Poynton and I’m only about 30 miles away from you if you ever want to have a look at the modification
jags

Post by jags »

well i went and bought the cube took it out of box put it together looked at it and thought no way am i keeping this yoke so packed it all back up send it back : :roll:
more like a moped than a bike i didnt want that way to heavy the frame size was small fit someone 6ft tall im a midig so no use what so ever.

anyway all is not lost (yet) i have on order an electric front wheel 250watt from uk gets good reviews on utube so time will tell.it's going on my lovely new boardman full ultegra groupset crackin bike .
the import duty is going to be expensive but i suppose its betting that dishing out 2500 on a bike you hate and most probably would never use.

ill post again when im up and running,thanks for all the advice much appreciated.
stay safe folks

jags.