New ebike advice please..

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
nez

Re: New ebike advice please..

Post by nez »

I know a couple of people who have installed electric motors and they were both pretty good setups. Mind you both are retd engineers. If I had tried to do something like that it would have worked eventually but looked untidy, I know. So I decided instead to buy a Dutch ebike with all the cables internal and a 500W battery. It's great - never given a moment's trouble - but I do keep the battery indoors in cold weather. I recommend doing the same with the control head, if it comes off. I do think the big advantage of self-installed ebike conversion is weight. The self-builder can keep it down. My eBike (like many others) is over 20kg - not so bad when the motor runs but quite a slog if you ever ran out. I wouldn't be without mine. I still have non-electric bikes too. A Roubaix, a Galaxy (and a Brompton I keep meaning to sell but never quite make myself do it).

eBikes are expensive to buy but actually cost about the same as metallic paint or leather seats on a car without the £60 a week petrol bill. But you know all that or you wouldn't belong to this forum. ;-)