Orbea gain wheel hub motor

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
willcee

Orbea gain wheel hub motor

Post by willcee »

Hi .. Acquired maybe 2 years ago as spares a new pair of disc/rim brake wheels out of an early nutted rear axle Gain.. in fact i asked memebers on here about them anyway long story short i am now in process of using them in a frameset by Whyte.. a good friend very capable around electrics and e'tronics has managed to get it up and running on a test rig, I supplied him a couple of decent New Bafang hub contollers , good 36v centre frame battery and basically a bafang loom for the handlebars and display.. My friend has now discovered that the rear axle may be missing a spacer on the left side of the axle just where the control loom exits so disallowing tightening the wheel tight in any frame dropout.. anyone any ideas on which the best controller would be for this set up as he felt the modern Bafang electronics were somehow inhibiting the wheel speed and he only had the wheel spinning at a displayed 17.5 mph after resetting the wheel size to 9inches!! which would do but as we all know wouldn't ever replicate that under weighted windy road conditions.. have a vid of the test but cannot seem to get it loaded... bloody windows 10...will
willcee

Re: Orbea gain wheel hub motor

Post by willcee »

Well its almost finished, I 'm likely the first in the UK to use a pair [new] of Orbea Gain E bike wheels in something other than the intended machine devoid of all Orbea sophiscated electronics running still 36v on a Bafang controller and display, the item which will finish the build is a purpose Hollowtec pas kit to fit the Ultegra chainset.. its running currently on a throttle and hitting 22 without cutting out, not strictly accurate and on private ground, today the wind may have assisted, more testing to be done when the pas kit is fitted.. testing is being done by a seasoned Gain owner, more knowledgeable of their traits and he allowed it was extremely smooth as this hub usually is.. more anon.. will
Attachments
DSCN3419 (Large).JPG
DSCN3432 (Large).JPG
DSCN3436 (Large).JPG
DSCN3437 (Large).JPG
willcee

Post by willcee »

Update on this conversion.. It rides like a dream, after some minor adjustments, one a new and different fork all carbon and refinished to suit the frame with clearance for 40 section 700's and a guard.. running a lot of spacer so have a slender alloy tube inserted inside the carbon steerer to allay fears of carbon breakage, and it shouldn't ,I use very little of the norm in pulling and pushing on the bars, now I run a short stem 60mm so the bar has less leverage on any steerer tube. as to the performance.. its running well very smooth perhaps not just as smooth as the X35 Mahle Electronics but not as governed either.. its hauling my 16 st around and staying pace with my friends carbon gain..and its unique ,the only one in the UK I would guess... will
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

That’s fantastic- a brilliant job.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.