Ribble CGR AL e

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
swscotland bentrider

Ribble CGR AL e

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I posted some time ago about my time with a Giant Fastroad. It had some technical issues and was returned. The time I spent riding it gave me some valuable experience and as a result ended up ordering a Ribble CGR. It arrived this week. First impressions were very good. Looked good - even attracting admiring comments from my wife :o .

I was working outside when it was delivered and was taken aback to find the delivery man behind me holding the box and asking where to put it. So yes - much lighter than expected! I was expecting to assist him!

Handlebars installed and a few adjustments to seat height / set back and it was ready to go. First 10k loop was done half with with the motor off and half with it on Eco. With the motor off it rides like a normal bike, at least as good as my Croix de Fer. The 40mm Schwalbe G one tyres roll very nicely. With the motor on its like a strong wind has sprung up behind you. On the flat the bike easily exceeds the cut off point.

Next day I did a longer ride- about 25k. It was blowing a hooly. This time kept the motor on. For the majority of the ride it was in Eco but on the hills I switched to normal. You can feel the difference and the hills were suitably flattened! Exiting road junctions is quicker and easier.

So first impressions are very favourable. It is light(ish) well integrated and with a motor that isn't has torquey as the Giant but perhaps more subtle in its effect. I suspect that if like me you are already a regular rider then this bike will spend a lot of time above the upper limit. But when you hit the hills it quietly supports you. And did I mention it is quiet?

Very happy so far. :D
richtea99

Re: Ribble CGR AL e

Post by richtea99 »

A good write-up, thanks.

> 'But when you hit the hills it quietly supports you.'
It's the same pleasing effect as I get on my Orbea Gain (which also has the ebikemotion system, so no surprise).
It's there if you need it.
swscotland bentrider

A short update on my experience so far. I've now topped the 100km mark on the bike and taken it over some routes that are very familiar to me. On one ride I tried to minimise my use of the battery and covered 38km before the first sector was used (25%) On the flat or descending bits I switched the motor to the no drive setting. I used eco level for all the hills bar one at level 2 (normal). Today I covered a short 25km circuit that includes a 4km long climb. I left the motor on eco the whole ride except for some three hundred metre section at level 2.

The bike continues to impress. There is little sensation of 'shove' its just that you arrive at the top of a climb in a higher gear than normal and feel less effort has been used. There is no detectable drag when descending and I hit 50kmh on one descent which is pretty much what I'd expect from my CdF. Once home I didn't have that slightly jaded feeling I might have expected given my level of (un)fitness after a long dreich winter.

The bike itself, apart from the motor, rides very nicely. it's stable and confidence inspiring. Light for an E bike it can be ridden with the motor off without feeling unduly heavy.

All those Orbea reviews and also Roy's CGR review on YouTube described the bike pretty accurately. Still Happy :D
swscotland bentrider

A final update. Today was the first day of spring and a cracker of a day! So for my exercise I rode up to Loch Ettrick, Closeburn, Auldgirth, Dalswinton and home. About 42k. Loch Ettrick sits at about 300metres and the approach is fairly up and down but overall a steady climb. Home is at 16metres. The descent to the main road at Closeburn is fast and twisting. Great fun if you avoid the potholes. A more gradual descent to Auldgirth then back to the back roads to home. Less than 50% of battery used.

The bike handles really well. The 40mm Schwalbe G one speed tyres are impressive and remove a lot of the sting from the cratered surfaces. On the flat it was fairly easy to keep above the 25km hr cut off. Before I got the bike I was concerned about the lack of torque sensing but I needn't have worried. The motor is quite gradual and on / off is barely felt. Given my age (72) and lack of fitness I got back feeling fine and dandy. I guess the bike reduces my effort by 20% - 25%. I haven't felt the need to use the top level of support. Ive used it in eco most of the time and 'normal' for the steeper grunts.

Well thats my review. Done about 150km in the two weeks Ive had it. Nice bike!
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

That's some helpful reviews, thanks. What are the servicing arrangments for the CGR AL e by the way? I'm seriously thinking of buying one but am in Wales, so the servcing aspect is important.
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Other than the motor and electrics the CGR ALe is essentially the same as any other modern road bike. I have an Orbea Gain, which has the same EBM motor and electrics. I have 'serviced' the Gain in exactly the same way as my non-e bikes - as and when required. In fact, mechanically very little has been required in almost three years other than the usual bolt checks, lubrication, replacement front brake pads, new back pads needed soon and the chain will need changing shortly. As for the motor, battery and electrics, nothing. I assume a dealer would be needed if any problems arose.
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

Yes, should've qualified that it was the servicing of the e-part of the bike (motor, battery, etc). I've no worries about the mechanical parts as I can attend to those. Anyway the 2 year guarantee ion the e-parts of the Ribble CGR AL e is re-assuring.
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.